U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 PM
 
181 posts, read 421,094 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Hi all,
I live on Long Island and as soon as my kids are through with HS (2.5 years) I would like to relocate to somewhere warmer and more affordable. This is a hard task...it's hard to fly off and check out a whole bunch of different areas, revisit them in different seasons...etc...to make sure you don't get any surprises. So I have been spending the last few months online researching and have narrowed it down a bit.

Having said that, what I am looking for is a Townhome under $150,000 in a safe neighborhood, with pretty surroundings. Work is not an issue as I am a writer.
Would love to hear people's input.
I am concerned about the humidity as I am asthmatic and my son is allergic to mold. I don't love super hot....but prefer that to the NY winters. Am just getting over pneumonia. I am sick every winter and inside anyway.
I know there are great colleges in NC...so that's a plus.
My other NC choice is Masonboro in Wilmington....I've always lived near the beach.

thanks everyone
Charlene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,725,912 times
Reputation: 11064
"Under $150K" for a town home in a safe neighborhood might be stretching it a bit...especially in 2-3 years. But maybe someone will know of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 AM
 
513 posts, read 1,414,417 times
Reputation: 239
Bungalow Park in Apex is a perfect spot for you. $140s in a great neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM
 
476 posts, read 1,401,571 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeebe View Post
Hi all, Am just getting over pneumonia. I am sick every winter and inside anyway.
I no help with a specific townhouse, but there are good search engines online. Can't go wrong in Apex, NC at that price range, but be sure to look at the properties before committing to check views, walkability, schools for your son, etc. There are loads of rentals available now, maybe you could rent before committing.

My real reason for this post and to try to be most useful:

You may already know this but there is a vaccine for pneumonia, it lasts for seven years. I now get one every seven years after suffering two miserable bouts with it. I used to think pneumonia was a descriptive symptom of being sick but learned it is in fact a bacterial infection and kills about 1 of every 20 it infects (WOW!)

Be sure to ask your doctor for it once you are well.

www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/VIS/downloads/vis-ppv.pdf AND
Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) on MedicineNet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
 
292 posts, read 675,187 times
Reputation: 218
Morrisville has some townhomes in your price range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
 
3,745 posts, read 9,465,052 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
I no help with a specific townhouse, but there are good search engines online. Can't go wrong in Apex, NC at that price range, but be sure to look at the properties before committing to check views, walkability, schools for your son, etc. There are loads of rentals available now, maybe you could rent before committing.

My real reason for this post and to try to be most useful:

You may already know this but there is a vaccine for pneumonia, it lasts for seven years. I now get one every seven years after suffering two miserable bouts with it. I used to think pneumonia was a descriptive symptom of being sick but learned it is in fact a bacterial infection and kills about 1 of every 20 it infects (WOW!)

Be sure to ask your doctor for it once you are well.

www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/VIS/downloads/vis-ppv.pdf AND
Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) on MedicineNet.com
Just an FYI - the pneumonia vaccine (Pneumovax) provides protection for only pneumococcal pneumonia -a more rare but potententially deadly bacterial pneumonia. Most "ordinary" pneumonias are viral - aka "community acquired pneumonia" against which the vaccine is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
 
476 posts, read 1,401,571 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Just an FYI - the pneumonia vaccine (Pneumovax) provides protection for only pneumococcal pneumonia -a more rare but potententially deadly bacterial pneumonia. Most "ordinary" pneumonias are viral - aka "community acquired pneumonia" against which the vaccine is useless.
DARN it - It did sound too good to be true, I should have known there would be a "catch"!

Thanks for the heads up! I have managed to avoid getting pneumonia since beginning the vaccines - must be pure luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
 
1,162 posts, read 1,846,529 times
Reputation: 354
My asthma and allergies are better here but it's different for everyone. The humidity of the summer works much better for me than the winter cold and wind. I can't breathe in that cold air. This past winter was brutal in NY. Good luck to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top