Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,287,512 times

Advertisements

Homewood Nursery is a great place. We also love Chris' Greenhouse in Zebulon - great people, wonderful plants, wonderful service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM

533 posts, read 1,194,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Go to Angier and hit (1) Broadwells, (2) Old Stage Nursery, and (3) Tarheel Nursery, all within a stone's throw of each other. Broadwells is huge - acres and acres. Plants cost a few bucks each - you could save 75% - 90% of what you'd pay at retail. Old Stage is a bit smaller, but with more variety. Prices are a bit higher, but still well below retail. At both you load your car up and then pay the man at the front by check. Tarheel is the smallest of the 3 - most stuff is in greenhouses. Not quite as inexpensive, but has more "specialty" plants.
Thanks! I'll take a drive out, but I'm curious, how big are the plants? I'm willing to pay a few more $$ for bigger plants -- we have almost literally nothing and I don't want to wait for a few years for things to fill in -- but saving 75-90% is mighty attactive too.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,189,108 times
I like Homewood Nursery in North Raleigh (just got a flyer saying the are having a 25% off sale!)

Atlantic Avenue Nursey in North Raleigh

And Logan's downtown.

I've heard good things about broadwells, but it is a bit far from where I live.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,850,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
Thanks! I'll take a drive out, but I'm curious, how big are the plants? I'm willing to pay a few more $$ for bigger plants -- we have almost literally nothing and I don't want to wait for a few years for things to fill in -- but saving 75-90% is mighty attactive too.
Pretty much the same as you'll find at retail nurseries. Some varieties have some choice - you pay based on container size. Broadwells doesn't mark it's plants. Don't worry too much about prices, but you do have to know what you're looking for (or at). Old Stage marks most things.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,670,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
We drive down to the Garden Supply Company on Old Apex RD in Cary. They are great at answering questions and making suggestions. In addition to great customer service, they are usually cheaper than Lowes/Home Depot. And, their products are superior to the "big boxes."
OH, I love that place... I can just walk around for hours. A bit pricier, but VERY healthy plant specimens. We will not be spending much this year due to the economy, but it does not stop me from dreaming!

Sign up online and you get coupons in the mail. Just got one today for 15% off Entire Shrub & Tree Purchase and another for 35% off one item.

www.gardensupplyco.com

Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,972,503 times
Another vote for Homewood Nursery.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 AM

475 posts, read 1,300,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Another vote for Homewood Nursery.
Ditto,
Not only do they have a nice selection, their staff is also very knowledgeable.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM

114 posts, read 428,878 times
I would never recommend anyone buy anything from Broadwell's They DO NOT care for their plants. A neighbor got several trees there recently covered with fire ants. She complained and learn that the USDA had cited the nursery for shipping plants without treatment. They purchase there bark with some kind of treatment and then do nothing else, plus for the large balled/burlap trees she learned they have crop dusters fly over and drop chemical but admitt they have no idea if it is actually landing on the trees. It is irresponsible to buy from a place that cares so little about what they produce. Most seem to only care that they get a big discount and believe they are doing good but I have never seen a yard with plants from there that was any kind of quality. The Farmer's Market or any retail garden center is the way to go.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,850,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbj92 View Post
It is irresponsible to buy from a place that cares so little about what they produce. Most seem to only care that they get a big discount and believe they are doing good but I have never seen a yard with plants from there that was any kind of quality.
I understand that you choose not to do business there - that's your prerogative. But is it necessary to pass judgment on those who do and label us as "irresponsible"?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

767 posts, read 1,842,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
I second Broadwells...even if it is "irresponsible" (oh my!). Great deals...never had any plants attack me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary