U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM

111 posts, read 272,305 times

Advertisements

I love Garden Supply Company. They have great quality plants and a great selection. I have an acid-clay-shade yard so it is hard to find proper plants for it, but I always find something to try in their shade section, and they always help me both in the store with questions and helping me get stuff to my car (important for me, usually go with kids). It is on Old Apex Road.

If I don't go to Garden Supply, I go to Family Home and Garden in Apex. They delivered some topsoil and mulch to our swampy clay yard and got stuck! I felt so bad- they were very nice. I think their prices are lowest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,104,677 times
No mention of Fairview Garden Center on Holly Springs Road?
OK-I'll mention it.
Yes, it's pricey. However, the quality is always there, especially for specimen plants and things like hanging baskets. They propagate a lot of their own stuff on site as opposed to buying from wholesalers. We put hanging geraniums on our front porch every year and since discovering Fairview I wouldn't think of buying them anywhere else. They are that much better than the Farmer's Market/Big Boxes/Family Home and Garden/all the rest.
I wouldn't go there to start my landscaping from scratch-if I needed lots of plants I'd head to Broadwell's and make sure I knew what I wanted before I did. For accents/annuals/baskets, though, Fairview is the best.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,493,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Go to Angier and hit (1) Broadwells, (2) Old Stage Nursery, and (3) Tarheel Nursery, all within a stone's throw of each other. Broadwells is huge - acres and acres. Plants cost a few bucks each - you could save 75% - 90% of what you'd pay at retail. Old Stage is a bit smaller, but with more variety. Prices are a bit higher, but still well below retail. At both you load your car up and then pay the man at the front by check. Tarheel is the smallest of the 3 - most stuff is in greenhouses. Not quite as inexpensive, but has more "specialty" plants.
Old Stage and Broadwells get my vote too excellent selection at great prices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 PM

306 posts, read 620,300 times
I vote for Old Stage and Broadwells too. We've never had ANY problems from the plants/shrubs we bought from either one. If you are looking to cover a lot of un-landscaped area (as we were), you cannot beat the prices and quality of either of these locations. I agree with the rankings of CHTransplant (start with Broadwells, then Old Stage, and then Tarheel).

We've also hit up the Farmer's Market, Homewood Nursery, Norwood Road Nursery--and had success at all of these for more specific plants.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM

228 posts, read 685,449 times
Some place I just heard of, Niche gardens in chapel hill. We haven't even been there yet, but a garden pro at Lowes recommended them; they specialize in native plants. Also our pro said that you need to wait until fall to plant shrubs. I was also thinking of planting some shrubs this spring, but now i may just wait.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,210,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
Some place I just heard of, Niche gardens in chapel hill. We haven't even been there yet, but a garden pro at Lowes recommended them; they specialize in native plants. Also our pro said that you need to wait until fall to plant shrubs. I was also thinking of planting some shrubs this spring, but now i may just wait.
Niche gardens is truly a wonderful place - many specialty plants, and very knowledgeable staff. Another great little local Chapel Hill nursery is the Unique Plant.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 AM

111 posts, read 272,305 times
Yes- Fairview! They are great too. It is too long of a drive for me though, so Garden Supply Company is better for me. I think both GSC and Fairview are a little more expensive, but worth it.

If you are looking for very cheap, sometimes you can get nice stuff on Craigslist when gardeners are thinning their perennials.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM

114 posts, read 376,011 times
Fairview has got to be one of the nicest places around as far as staff to work with. Love buying from Susan and Brad.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,664,980 times
Niche Gardens is a great little place. And you just can't beat Tony Avent's Plant Delights for plants that are very hard to find otherwise. He holds several open houses each year - should be one coming up pretty soon.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 PM

321 posts, read 921,906 times
Homewood nursery. Great knowledge from all staff, terrific selections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary