U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,037,156 times

Advertisements

I'm from the UK but moved here in the 70's when it was very different, mostly local people and some Scots, Brits, etc who were brought over from Scotland by IBM. Over the years the native people have become the minority and most people are now from somewhere else - either another country or state. Over the years that I've seen this growth occur, the natives have been tolerant of their way of life changing. They've welcomed everyone and I've found them to be curious about where we come from.

Clearly my moving experience was very different from yours but of course it would be as it was so long ago. My interaction with local residents was and continues to be excellent. But if you have experienced resentment, I am sorry but honestly with very few jobs in the range you mentioned and people keep moving here, it's a natural reaction. We Brits did the same in the UK in the 70's and 80's when jobs were few and immigration was high.

Honestly, if you were able to get to know some of the locals, you'd find them to be wonderfully kind and accepting people. I could write paragraphs on how hospitable people have been to me over the years. Now just like anywhere, you'll run into someone who is the opposite...but I find that rare.

The top 10 list - actually, I'd like to bribe someone to keep us off the lists I like how this area is not a city like DC or NY. I like seeing all the lovely trees and greenery and farms; I don't like to see them torn down for another new subdivision. I am being selfish but I think that's what has been so special about this area - it's not a huge, over-crowded city.

What you said about costs, yes, for someone in the entry level to mid level salary range who doesn't own a home, it can be hard. It's not a cheap place to live - and some jobs pay $8 not 8 pounds And with all the newcomers continuing to come here, at some point in the next couple of yrs or so, we will have to see tax increases...that will make it less desirable.

I do know that this area isn't for everyone as you mentioned, so I wish you well and hope you find the place that is the best fit for you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Edited out references to now-deleted post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,677,754 times
I would be willing to bet a fair bit of money that resentment is coming from malcontented transplants who now call themselves natives and wish to close (or slam) the door shut behind them. This area is full of them - the perpetually unhappy, grass-is-always-greener types from the NE and South Florida who have been led to believe by magazines and internet hype that North Carolina represented some sort of promised land, a panacea of sorts for all the ills - real or imagined - back home.

That said, this area is definitely not what it's hyped up to be in the magazines. It has all sorts of problems. That said, it is better than a lot of places in many respects - so much so that it provides a great place to live - with the right attitude and a bit of luck perhaps...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to now-deleted post.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 AM

475 posts, read 1,398,453 times
Have to add my .02 to this thread. We moved here about 10 years ago, we are an Indian couple and have two small kids. This area is diverse, with its share of open minded people AND the other type. That said, I don't think these is ONE area in this country that does not have close minded people. Both DH and I have good jobs, the boys are in a good schools. We have a healthy mix on friends from all ethnic diversities. We love this area - as one of the posters put it, this is an area which is a good mix between big city and small - with manageable traffic issues, reasonable real estate and good cultural diversity. Have we experience rascism in various forms? Sure. Are they often? No. My point is, with a high concentration of diversity here in the triangle, I do think this is a good area to move to. Provided, of course, you have a good offer lined up and this will be good for your career...

Old 03-14-2010, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,059 times
@des1rees: I'm happy to hear that you have found a good fit for you and your family. It's refreshing to see that the Raleigh Durahm is indeed a diverse environment. The area that you settled in sounds like a good mix of culture and good schools - just what we are looking for. Do you mind if I ask what area within the Triange you choose? Thanks!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 AM

93 posts, read 187,411 times
Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing people complain about this and that. There are many good places to live in this world. This is just one of them. My partner and I could be happy in Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Arizona and on and on. Your happiness is almost solely based on your attitude. Every single place has issues and if all you do is focus on them, you will be consumed by them. If you choose to discover and enjoy what the area has to offer, you will be happy, no matter where you live. I tend to think the people who are miserable here will most likely be miserable the next place they move to. Conversely, people who are happy here are most likely the ones who could be happy living in other states as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM

475 posts, read 1,398,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm531 View Post
@des1rees: I'm happy to hear that you have found a good fit for you and your family. It's refreshing to see that the Raleigh Durahm is indeed a diverse environment. The area that you settled in sounds like a good mix of culture and good schools - just what we are looking for. Do you mind if I ask what area within the Triange you choose? Thanks!
Cary Park. We were in Morrisville before. If you read more on these thread, there will be a bunch on diversity, especially areas near RTP. I do want to stress, there are close minded people everywhere - but this area is more open. I love the triangle and see myself here for a very long time...hope if you do decide to relocate here, you feel the same way.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,927 times
This is great to hear! I am considering moving from northern VA and was concerned about the diversity in the area.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:06 PM

58 posts, read 129,174 times
As a NYorker I am used to diversity. My family and I are a VERY mixed bunch. (puerto rican, Italian, Irish, African American, German, Native America...LOL) Honestly it has been a bit of a shock for us. When my Grandma comes to visit (she is Puerto Rican w/ a thick accent) people think she is Mexican...which she takes offense to. (old school) We also do get strange looks! My husband has a dark complexion, I look more Italian than anything, my grandma looks Spanish, my mom looks Irish, my dad looks Vietnamese...so we are a VERY mixed bunch. You really see people sticking with "their own kind" as they tell me. I am not trying to upset anyone by this, but this has been our experience. BUT the area is beautiful...traffic is A DREAM COME TRUE and it seems to be growing! So.....it is a double edge sort. I have been in Atlanta and honestly if she is having trouble there...I am not sure she will do much better here. You should come a visit and check it out. But....I have met a good amount of people w/accents here. Well....EVERYONE has an accent to me. (southern accent..LOL)

Old 03-26-2010, 04:32 PM

83 posts, read 166,875 times
I am a brown-skinned immigrant who grew up in the Upper Midwest & have lived also in the Pac NW, PA, & upstate NY. Believe me, it is all relative. You may get what feel like a lot of looks in the Triangle, but you will get the same or worse in many other areas of the country. I have lived in areas where people stop and stare at people who aren't Caucasian. Really.

If you compare the Triangle to NYC, NJ, San Francisco or to other very diverse and highly populated and high cost-of-living areas, we are not as diverse. But clearly we have a lot of positives or people wouldn't be clamoring to move here.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 AM

110 posts, read 303,935 times
"We are in NW Cary near Morrisville and I have NEVER lived in an area with such diverse peoples. We have enjoyed this experience and know that our children are richer for the exposure to so many cultures. While living here we have made friends from Italy, UK, Germany, Korea, Sweden, New York (ha, ha! Had to add that land of wonders!), Ireland, Africa, Colombia, and India. Probably more, and no offense meant if I left anyone off!"

Ditto. I live in Cary as well.
Add Russia and Vietnam to the list above and you get a rough idea of the diversity in our area. I think our elementary school has over 20 nationalities represented. Similar type of situation at our preschool. I love living in an area where so many cultures are happily mixed together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary