U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM

128 posts, read 364,609 times

Advertisements

Searching for houses online and a few popped up from this neighborhood, looks like its pretty new .... just curious if any of you live there or know where its located. Is there anything in Wendell itself or do you pretty much have to leave the town to go shopping/dining? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM

OK, if nooone knows about this subd, can you tell me at all about Wendell?? I looked at past threads but some were from like 2007, I'm sure things have changed in the past 2-3 yrs.
Good town? Bad town? Easy drive to RTP?
Thanks for any suggestions. We hope to take a trip to the area next month to check it out for ourselves, but we have so much to see in just a day or so, so we really need to narrow down the search.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,436,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk11 View Post
OK, if nooone knows about this subd, can you tell me at all about Wendell?? I looked at past threads but some were from like 2007, I'm sure things have changed in the past 2-3 yrs.
Good town? Bad town? Easy drive to RTP?
Thanks for any suggestions. We hope to take a trip to the area next month to check it out for ourselves, but we have so much to see in just a day or so, so we really need to narrow down the search.
Wendell to RTP is knind of a long Haul. There is the new 64 bypass, but still, Wendell is pretty far from RTP.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,839,055 times
Small town -- population less than 5,000 and the land size is only a few square miles

It's probably the furthest point from RTP -- other side of Wake County (southeast)

I am not familiar with the subdivision. Is the something in particular that you like about it? Are you looking at other homes in the same price range closer to RTP?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,043,876 times
Looking at a map doesn't give you the real story about a commute in this area anymore. It depends on many things such feeder roads, how many lights you'll encounter, traffic volume/speed, etc. traffic on this side of town is nowhere near as heavy as North Raleigh and Cary so you move faster.

The key is - if the subdivision is within a couple of minutes of 64 bypass, you can be at Knightdale 540 exit in 10 mins...so my former colleague says who lives in Zebulon, traffic isn't as heavy as other areas of Raleigh so I think this is realistic. And from there it's roughly 30 mins to the RTP exit. I used to commute from here to Durham and can say that if it's raining, or there is a wreck, add another 10 mins to this - just as you would from anywhere.

I live 1.5 miles from I-540 exit but in Raleigh. It's not a bad drive to RTP from here. I'd rather do it from here than Clayton as we have numerous optional routes.

Wendell is a nice small safe town. it really hasn't been discovered yet and so you can find some great values in homes with land. Your best shopping would be in Knightdale at 540 and the closest mall, Triangle Town or North Hills.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks! I can't remember its exact location, but I wanna say in the ad for the subdivision it claims easy access to 64.

We are looking for a 3-4 BR house, preferably new construction on close to a half acre or more for under $275k....the areas that seem to pop up in the searches are Wendell, Franklinton, Clayton and a few others, but I can't think of their names right now. I figure with that price range and all we need in a home PLUS the land my husband wants, we will have to live in a smaller town, which is fine with me as long as my favorite shopping places (Kohls/Target) are not longer than 20 minutes away
But thanks for letting me know that RTP is pretty far...b/c you are right on the map, it says like 15 miles which to us, seems like next door. DH has always had a long haul to work, 40-60 minutes and we would like around 30 min or less if possible.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,043,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk11 View Post
Thanks! I can't remember its exact location, but I wanna say in the ad for the subdivision it claims easy access to 64.

We are looking for a 3-4 BR house, preferably new construction on close to a half acre or more for under $275k....the areas that seem to pop up in the searches are Wendell, Franklinton, Clayton and a few others, but I can't think of their names right now. I figure with that price range and all we need in a home PLUS the land my husband wants, we will have to live in a smaller town, which is fine with me as long as my favorite shopping places (Kohls/Target) are not longer than 20 minutes away
But thanks for letting me know that RTP is pretty far...b/c you are right on the map, it says like 15 miles which to us, seems like next door. DH has always had a long haul to work, 40-60 minutes and we would like around 30 min or less if possible.
Shopping - yes, Target, Kohls, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, Home Depot, Dicks Sporting Goods, Rack Room Shoes, and stores such Jewelry, linen, housewares; Mexican restaurant, Rita's Ice, coffee shop, subs, Lonestar, CkFilA, IHOP, Lowes Foods grocery, and other chains and indy restaurants are all at the 540 exit on hwy 64/Knightdale Blvd. There's also emergency and medical care - Duke & Rex(UNC) there.

Franklinton is a cute smaller town. It's further north. I wouldn't advise that commute as you have to first get from Franklinton to Wake Forest and then deal with Capital Blvd coming into Raleigh for I-540 at Capital when it's bumper to bumper. I take my daughter to school in Wake Forest some days...this morning coming back down Capital towards 540 wasn't as jammed up but still I was doing less than 10mph from just south of 1A Wake forest to Perry Creek Rd Raleigh. It's always like that. And, again, Wendell or Knightdale will give you numerous alternate routes and on the wkend you are much nearer to everything if you have to shuttle kids around.

Now you could find what you are looking for in Wake Forest. And possibly in Cary, but Cary would likely be an older home. Morrisville is the closest to RTP, have you checked that out? If you wanted to be in North Raleigh, you might find what you are looking for but again it would be an older home to have a larger lot.

A lot of people who really don't know anything about commuting from the Knightdale/Wendell area will tell you this end of town is too far. Certain parts of Wendell would be. But not if you are at the bypass.
I've commuted from it to Durham since around 1995 and compared it with colleagues' commutes around the triangle. I found roughly a 10-15 mins shorter commute for friends who lived in Apex and West Cary. North Raleigh was 10 mins less. There isn't a huge difference.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,839,055 times
You might also consider some parts of Chatham County that have easy access to shopping and RTP.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. These towns have never come up in searches for online homes, so I don't know what I'm typing in wrong...maybe the price or the requests are too much?? Many many homes in Willow Springs, Holly Springs, and Clayton that are beautiful....are these areas way too far from RTP as well??
I guess we really need to go out and drive for ourselves soon. I see that I can find at least 1 home in each town I pull up, but I just need to see the towns for myself. I could care less how far of a drive it is for DH I mean, I want a great house my kids can grow up in and if that means daddy has to drive a more than 30 min, so be it...i'm totally kidding...maybe...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 AM

153 posts, read 771,367 times
Buying a home in Wendell may be a mistake as the town is not growing, houses are sitting empty, and your home may not go up in value, more likely down. The drive to RTP is very far, especially during traffic times. There are nice small towns closer to RTP in Orange County such as Hillsborough. Moving to Wendell is not a great idea, if you are intent on moving to that side of town I think Knightdale is a better choice, it is booming there and properties should gain in value and it still has some small town appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary