U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 AM

2,579 posts, read 4,782,136 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here every used Grout Medic? What did you think? Were you satisfied?

Any other recommendations for tile & grout cleaning / regrouting?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM

476 posts, read 1,397,445 times
I have used GEL bleach with a long handled scrub brush, smelly and time consuming, but works. You can put that in a ketchup/condiment type dispenser to keep it easier to apply to grout lines only...

Be sure to check for color safeness if using on colored grout and then mop, dry & reseal.

You may also try Oxi-clean spray and let soak for awhile. I love that stuff for all sorts of household challenges.

*OH, if you are doing this yourself be sure to wear clothes that you don't care if they get bleach spatters on, as well as socks that you can take OFF before you travel to other areas of the house. Don't want to burn your flesh OR track bleach through the house. And... ventilation... Eye protection... ha, ha, I feel like I have to have a full disclaimer of information.

Do this at your own risk, author not responsible for ANY reader's lack of common sense. Does that cover it?

Last edited by brooks2007; 03-14-2010 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: disclaimer - yike...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM

5,358 posts, read 15,048,880 times
We were thinking about calling them also. We had our kitchen, half bath, and laundry retiled by some idiot and he did a terrible job.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We were thinking about calling them also. We had our kitchen, half bath, and laundry retiled by some idiot and he did a terrible job.
Grout Medic gave us an estimate yesterday. . . . .even with the $50 off coupon and a 10% discount, it was still $500 just to fill in some spots where the grout was coming out, clean the floor, and reseal.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:29 PM

331 posts, read 669,434 times
holy schmokes, was that quote for every tiled floor in your house?

I just picked up the materials for regrouting my ancient bathroom floor myself. $31. Now that I got laid off I'll have plenty of time for the labor.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
holy schmokes, was that quote for every tiled floor in your house?

I just picked up the materials for regrouting my ancient bathroom floor myself. $31. Now that I got laid off I'll have plenty of time for the labor.
No, that was for our kitchen and a little laundry room. They wanted $375 just to repair, clean and reseal our kitchen floor alone.

So how do you plan to get the old grout out from between the tiles? I can tell you from past experience that using those little toothbrushes with cutting blades is extremely time consuming and painful. I want something like a mini jack hammer, the size of a Dremel tool or so. Or maybe a mini circular saw.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM

331 posts, read 669,434 times
I got a different kind of tool with a triangular head on the advice of the salesguy. I also have a dremel if needed. Luckily much of the grout is already cracked all to bits and wants to come out every time I walk across the floor. What grout is still intact only needs 1/8" to come off the top. So I'm confident it won't be a really hard job, especially since the bathroom is pretty small. We'll see huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary