U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,126,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Some people love basil and could never get tired of it. I could eat it every day.

BTW, good luck with your garden. You'll have a great time.
Put in 20 basil plants (because you are told it is hard to grow), harvest bales of the stuff to the point where you've filled your freezer with pesto, and then force yourself to eat it as often as possible so you can clear some space for other frozen items.

You'll tire of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
I think the OP said she was putting in a fence around the garden. I think she will have other stuff to eat besides basil!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think the OP said she was putting in a fence around the garden. I think she will have other stuff to eat besides basil!
Basil is the devil. As are deer.

I'm convinced all the big gardens I drive buy out in the country are actually plastic plants.

Just keeping it real.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Basil is the devil. As are deer.

I'm convinced all the big gardens I drive buy out in the country are actually plastic plants.

Just keeping it real.

To me it doesn't matter if I work all summer for one tomato...
(and could have bought 20 for the money invested)
It is all worth it when I get the satisfaction of knowing I grew it from
a tiny plant...
We had to photograph every thing I grew this summer before we ate it !!!

Almost felt wrong to eat my babies!!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,273,597 times
Thank you all for your great feedback.
And yes we will be enclosing it and our neighbor assures us that the deer will not be able to penetrate it. We provide deer feed for our family of five that comes every night so hoping there bellies will be full before they see our little stretch of land.

We would like to add blueberries to our crop. Our neighbor has never grown so I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with growing these blue jewels..thanks.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,035,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Thank you all for your great feedback.
And yes we will be enclosing it and our neighbor assures us that the deer will not be able to penetrate it. We provide deer feed for our family of five that comes every night so hoping there bellies will be full before they see our little stretch of land.

We would like to add blueberries to our crop. Our neighbor has never grown so I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with growing these blue jewels..thanks.
I tried blueberries and couldn't get the plant to grow. It didn't die, just kinda looked the same as when I first planted it. My soil is really good as this subdivision used to be a turfgrass farm. I'd research what the best growing conditions should be by going to the NCSU cooperative extension site. Are you going to try watermelons?

PS - my blueberry plant bit the dust last summer as my yard guy who is from Mexico was convinced it was a weed and he weed wacked it

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,035,557 times
Saluki - just found this info on blueberries...you need to get the plant in the ground this month!
Growing Blueberries in the Home Garden

Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
You can buy your blueberry plants and get planting information from a local blueberry plant nursery.

Finch Nursery Blueberry Tips, Ordering, & Recipes

Old 03-21-2010, 11:10 AM

253 posts, read 450,034 times
hey, we have much of ours planted, we have a couple peach trees in the yard as well. green onions, brocoli, radishes butter crunch lettuce, reg onions, tomatoes, ( and plenty of them, planted at intervels until late July.) Blueberry, grapes, peas, beans, peppers, beets, rasberries, I kknow I am forgetting things... oh yeah, carrots.
We are fenced in here, so no deer. BUT, in the summer, my dad used to live on a lake in Wisc. they had lots of dear. he would put the same old, ready for the garbage , clothes on everyday while he worked in the garden. do not wash, at the end of the two weeks it took to get the HUGE garden in, those close were ripe, and he was putting them on and off in the gargae(lol). then he got a pole and a hanger and put them up, like a scare crow, in the garden and no problems with Deer at all. Mom used to say those things kept the flies away! lol. but it worked!
I love that story... thanks for giving me a reason to tell it. Have fun and enjoy! I don't by a tomato or bean, or pepper all summer! In fact, I bought my first red pepper( for a buck twenty nine) this wk. I will plant another plant more than last year. I still have green peppers in the freezer. Just clean out the seeds, cut in strips and toss them in a ziplock in the freezer! god all winter! and easy to chop when frozen!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM

68 posts, read 134,012 times
when the peppers thaw, are they still good and crunchy to eat raw? or basically just soft and good for cooking? I've never heard of freezing bell peppers and often wished I could when they go on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary