U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,275,522 times

Advertisements

Beeeutiful NRG! Your lettuce looks picture perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM

746 posts, read 1,959,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I envy your space, your sun exposure and the manpower you have working for you! Very nice! I got my raised beds all ready today. I tilled chopped up dried leaves and Black Kow into the existing soil and then covered the beds with black fabric mulch. This will warm up the soil although it's already warm, as I can tell by my dog making it her new napping place outside. (CONFLICT!) I put a little netting type fence up today, but she will outsmart me sooner or later, so I need to find another solution.

I don't have any plants in the ground yet: I am keeping them portable for a few more days to make sure the temps are warm enough, but I have some in containers outside and other seedlings inside including tomatoes, cukes, squash and pepper seeds/seedlings growing along with BASIL and some other herbs! I love basil. All my other herbs overwintered nicely, such a surprise (rosemary, parsley, sage). Oh, and my lettuces are in a mini half whiskey barrell.

Oh, and btw, the farmer's market has a ton of plants, much more reasonable than Lowe's or HD. I bought a 4 pack of Cherokee Purple tomatoes for $2, and a 4 pack of basil for $1.50.

One more thing, if this is your first time growing tomatoes, plan how you will support them when you first plant them. They get huge and if you plan to stake or trellis them now, it will save a real mess later.

Good luck!!!
fyi - rosemary, parsley and sage are perennial. As long as you don't give sage fertilizer or too much water, it will be around for years. It thrives on awful soil conditions!!

I love basil too. Can't imagine having too much of it. I freeze the leaves for use all winter - especially when I have a really flavorful plant. I keep seeds for the following year (for the same reason). We also make pesto - last fall when the first frost hit, my husband and I collected all the basil - 2 1/2 garbage bags full - and stayed up til 3 in the morning making pesto!! True story! We also had a pesto party with our friends - made pesto 5 different ways (in blender, hand cut, in food processor, with oven roasted tomatoes, with roasted garlic, blanched garlic, regular garlic) ... it was freakin' AWESOME! We also grow thai basil and use it often in cooking, as well as genovese, greek and a couple others. Keep basil out of the gardens where you don't want things over fertilized, as basil wants lots of fertilizer!

Our neighbor's cat seems to believe that our prepared areas are there for his entertainment and leisure ... CONFLICT! (love that!)

We put our 6x6 on the spot that used to house our compost pile... we had LOTS of organic material to start ours!!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 PM

I'm happy to report that my humble garden is doing great and the tomato plants are growing like weeds . . doing lotsa ho-ing, weeding, and cultivating. I did have to replant the green beans and the sunflower seeds really took so that's gonna be fun to have some huge stalks one day soon.

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 05-10-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: TYPO

Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 AM

Default Garden is making progress!

tomato plants are doing great

green beans and yellow squash

a rainy view

and visitor passing through

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 05-18-2010 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: add photo

Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 AM

Default And you thought you had big bugs!

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 05-24-2010 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: ADD PHOTOS

Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 11,243 times
We've planted an above ground garden this year. Great kits available from Sam's Club for $40. We planted lettuce (mixed greens), a ton of basil, thyme, chives, leeks, heirloom tomatoes, green peppers, oregano, eggplant, sugar snap peas and 1-2 others. One of the tomato plants is taking off an already needs to be staked!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,042,413 times
My tomato plants had gobstopper sized green tomatoes on them...until my ducks decided to pull them off the plant! They didn't eat them, guess they don't like 'em. Now I have to wait for more to grow

My squash is flowering, but not my cucumbers, they are leafy right now. I am so looking forward to fresh produce and cucs without wax

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 AM

10,721 posts, read 20,150,494 times
Caterpillars are absolutely killing my broccoli, they were huge and now appear to be withering away.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
roses, figs, tomatoes.
i have yet to do a good crop of tomatoes.
so took a class, heirloom cherry is supposed to be idiot proof.
planted seeds everywhere there was no concrete this year and hosed everything with chicken manure. so we shall see.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM

635 posts, read 1,613,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

My squash is flowering, but not my cucumbers, they are leafy right now. I am so looking forward to fresh produce and cucs without wax
When did you plant your cukes? Ours are positively frightening -- planted in the 2nd or 3rd week of April and they are growing at a rate of 1" a DAY. They have gone up their 4 foot trellis and are now working at going over the opposite side. There are cukes that one day are 1", and the next day are dragging on the ground and curving up because they have grown that much overnight. I think it's all this rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary