Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times

Advertisements

I've been fortunate enough to move to a wonderful Wake Forest neighborhood and live next door to a wonderful couple.
Last year I enjoyed the veggies and fruits of Ed's garden and jokingly asked him if he could help me with one of my own.
A few days ago I heard something in the backyard and there is Ed beginning the tilling of the area we had chorded off for my very own garden. I can't tell you how excited I am! We 'broke ground' so now we will get the fencing up . . another tilling and it's time to start planting.

This is probably a silly thread but I would love to hear about your vegetable garden. With the Florida chill and toll it took on the tomatoes it will be nice to have ones of our own.

What are you planting?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Added the [img] code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
Default more photos of our garden

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Added the [img] code for you

Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
A friendly neighbor with a tiller! How fortunate you are!

We're holding off a little bit on our planting. We usually don't plant seeds but buy established plants.

Your garden is huge, too. You'll LOVE it!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-14-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Prepare to be demoralized. Even if you are successful at getting the soil into condition that supports vegetable growth, the deer will eat everything but your basil. Which, I might add, will grow to the size of a yew bush. You'll then make the most of it and freeze 5 gallons of pesto. By december, you'll never be able to stand the taste of basil again.

Enjoy!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM

392 posts, read 50,754 times
Fantastic, you will really love your garden once you see your seedlings pop through the ground and start to mature, food grown at home is far superior to that grown by traders because of the loving care and attention it gets, it also tastes much more enjoyable too, if you have space to plant a variety of different vegetables make sure you listen to and take the advice about plant pests and remedies to administer from those in the know in your area as planting certain plants interspersed with herbs, beside each other often deters certain aphids from ruining your future meals, advice that will save you a lot of frustration and heartbreak in the future.. there is nothing so enjoyable as cooking a meal and inviting your friends round so that you can casually mention to them its all from your own garden, I hope this little post has qualified me for a free meal in the summertime when those taters are ready.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 PM

392 posts, read 50,754 times
Oh I forgot, I`ll bring my own plate if necessary, bon appetite

Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
That is fantastic. I am very jealous. I would kill to have that kind of space to work with. You will have so much fun this spring / summer. You mentioned you are putting a fence up right? Good, that should keep the deer and rabbits away.

I'm working with a small square foot garden I made last year. I just planted some cool weather crops this weekend and added some Espoma Garden Tone Organic fertilizer. Leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage ect. can be grown now. For tomatos, peppers, herbs, ect.. wait until after the last frost (usually Tax day April 15).

Right now I have lettuce and spinach in the garden. Come April 15th I will be planting an heirloom tomato, cucumber, peppers, basil, dill, mint, celantro, chives. Some I have started already inside from seed. Others I will buy seedlings at places like Logan's or at the farmer's market. There are some nice vendors at the Wake Forest Farmers' Market who sell seedlings. I think that market should be up an running soon. Or you could pick up some at the Wake Forest Herb Fest.

There is usually a booth at the Wake Forest Farmers' Market with a "Master Gardener" giving out free advice too. If you like to listen to people talk about local gardening or want to call in with a question check out the "Weekend Gardener" Show which is on the localAM radio at 680 AM WPTF every saturday morning from 8-11am.

Good Luck and have fun!

I added some "Black Cow" Compost and Garden Tone Fertilizer today

Planted some Spinach and Romaine Lettuce

Old 03-14-2010, 08:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
By december, you'll never be able to stand the taste of basil again.
Some people love basil and could never get tired of it. I could eat it every day.

BTW, good luck with your garden. You'll have a great time.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM

24 posts, read 46,901 times
What a nice neighbor! You have a nice back a yard also. The garden will be great!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I can't wait to have the space you have for a proper garden.

I got tomatoes and bell peppers at the farmers market last year.

The peppers produced until late fall.

what I learned last year...when you see really pretty caterpillars on the tomatoes do not have a soft heart and transfer them to another plant.
They will eat your whole tomato plant..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary