U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM

763 posts, read 1,602,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Justthe6ofus--I'm really drawn to Holly Springs (at least online) and my husband will be working in Garner. Can you tell me anything about the drive? Are y'all reassigned schools every year. And most important is there a Target nearby--okay, I'm kidding--kind of... People talk about driving alot from there but I'm from Texas so driving is normal for me and even though I'm a few miles from a grocery store here--and Target of course, 2 no less!--it can take 15 minutes or more to get there. I'm wondering if Holly Springs is really that far from everything ~ thanks!!!
I would say there are 2 Targets 15 mins (if that) from Holly Springs...Crossroads & Beaver Creek. Between those two shopping areas you should have your fix of big box stores. 3+ Grocery stores are 5 mins tops, and we have a nice new Walmart in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,644,098 times
THANKS! I'm going to have my husband check out the rush hour driving when he is there next month. I don't know why but I've always hated the Walmarts I've lived near. In Austin the local Walmart seemed to draw strange folks out of the hills or something but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised especially if helpful people like you shop there

Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,347,461 times
Quote:
Justthe6ofus--I'm really drawn to Holly Springs (at least online) and my husband will be working in Garner. Can you tell me anything about the drive?
The drive is about 25 minutes and depending on the traffic, he takes a variety of different routes. Sometimes it's the highway, sometimes it's ten-ten...all depends on where the accidents and traffic are reported. For the most part he is going against the flow of "rush hour".

Are y'all reassigned schools every year.
In my specific location we have not been reassigned at all since moving here in 2005.

And most important is there a Target nearby--okay, I'm kidding--kind of... People talk about driving alot from there but I'm from Texas so driving is normal for me and even though I'm a few miles from a grocery store here--and Target of course, 2 no less!--it can take 15 minutes or more to get there. I'm wondering if Holly Springs is really that far from everything ~ thanks!!!
I completely understand asking about a Target! We moved from "the sticks" of NY...the closest Target was about 25 minutes from my house as was the mall and any other decent shopping. When we moved here I told my realtor I wanted to be far enough away to enjoy the peace and no traffic, but close enough to just hop in the car on a whim. Like a previous poster said, we have Beaver Creek in Apex and Crossroads in Cary about 15 minutes from us. There is a Target planned for Holly Springs, but I'm not sure when that will become a reality. Fuquay is about 10 minutes and there are some chain restaurants there as well as a Khols and other shopping options.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM

315 posts, read 657,244 times
Quote:
THANKS! I'm going to have my husband check out the rush hour driving when he is there next month. I don't know why but I've always hated the Walmarts I've lived near. In Austin the local Walmart seemed to draw strange folks out of the hills or something but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised especially if helpful people like you shop there
Hahahaha!! This is soooo true! Around here, not only do the freaks come out at night, but the daytime too!! I would never want a Walmart in my back yard. 10-15 minutes away is close enough! I personally love Target but have gotten used to grocery shopping at the Super Walmart here. If I never had to set foot in another Walmart, I would be so ok with that!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInFuquay View Post

And as an example here is a rental for $1300.

Moderator cut: Links to real estate properties for sale are NOT allowed!
Too bad. I would have liked to have seen it.. Thanks for the info though!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

Good Luck with your search and move!
Thanks for all the info! Very helpful!!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 PM

16 posts, read 99,553 times
I disagree that $1200 is too low to find what you're looking for. It all depends on what luxuries you're accustomed to and what you feel you have to have in a home. You can rent a 4 bedroom home for $1200 EASILY, as long as you dont absolutely need it to be huge and have granite this and that. Apex and holly springs have cheaper options than cary.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 AM

220 posts, read 765,803 times
I'd say Apex would be your best bet for everything you want. Its a little less expensive than Cary, but still close to all the conveniences you are looking for. Shopping in Beaver Creek, there's a Wal-Mart, a new Wake Med Emergency Room, and a cute downtown area with locally owned stores/restaurants. Plus the schools are good! We ended up buying in Apex and we love it here

Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM

68 posts, read 134,440 times
My husband and I loved Holly Springs and Cary, though we decided on Holly Springs for convenience reasons. I am coming for a ginormous metropolitan area, so that will probably skew my perception, but I did not find Holly Springs "out" I found it as central as Cary and honestly could not tell when I was leaving one area for another when traveling between Cary, Holly Springs and Apex. My hot points in finding the right area were: Target, Sams Club, Trader Joes and daily supermarket. I found all of this in close proximity to both Cary and Holly Springs. I've been doing my research on rentals and I tend to think that 1200 is on the way low end for what you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM

763 posts, read 1,602,192 times
Quote:
Its true...I'm not a Walmart fan...but if you have to go to one, the one in Holly Spring is it! Its actually decent...the best one I've ever seen. The ones in Cary & Fuquay are nasty...I don't set foot in either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary