U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 PM

945 posts, read 830,451 times

Advertisements

Do your Food Lions have a butcher in the store? In ENC with the remodels they closed in the butcher shop and laid off or repurposed those employees. Meat comes prepackaged and is absolutely disgusting, especially the beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,180,359 times
The Food Lion at the intersection of 98 and Sherron Road is not all that bad. It's newer so I imagine that has something to do with it.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM

19,404 posts, read 17,146,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Do your Food Lions have a butcher in the store? In ENC with the remodels they closed in the butcher shop and laid off or repurposed those employees. Meat comes prepackaged and is absolutely disgusting, especially the beef.
Meat departments are being replaced with prepacked meat sections? This is interesting. I would like to see supermarkets succeed without their meat departments. I do not think many would succeed as a meat department does a lot of business. These stores would close for low sales. I doubt prepackaged meats fit into "Easy, Fresh, and Affordable."

Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,904,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It was an experiment. They've gone back to cutting beef. Everything else is pre-pack.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Meat departments are being replaced with prepacked meat sections? This is interesting. I would like to see supermarkets succeed without their meat departments. I do not think many would succeed as a meat department does a lot of business. These stores would close for low sales. I doubt prepackaged meats fit into "Easy, Fresh, and Affordable."
Wal-Mart does it every day. I really don't care for their meats and the price is higher then the quality IMO.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:24 AM

19,404 posts, read 17,146,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Wal-Mart does it every day. I really don't care for their meats and the price is higher then the quality IMO.
I am yet to see Walmart Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores without a meat department.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM

7,705 posts, read 10,090,713 times
I think both Walmart and Food Lion mix in some site cut meat with some done remotely and shipped in. I have a dog that is sick and we are having a hard time getting him to eat so I've been buying meat loaf mix to cook for him and the packages are too perfect and consistently the same weight and they are sealed differently than most store done. I see other similar packages on the shelves also.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

549 posts, read 335,790 times
Food Lion is the Roses of grocery stores

Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am yet to see Walmart Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores without a meat department.
I didn't say they don't have meat for sale. Next time your there ask the butcher to cut you a steak. See if you can find the room where they cut meat and ring the bell for service.

Every meat they have is prepackaged at an offsite location.. They have cheaper prices on most stuff. Their meat "department" isn't one of them. Food lion is usually much cheaper then Wal-Mart with meat comparison.

I don't believe the previous poster was saying that they took out fresh meat from ENC FL stores but they temporarily just shipped it in like Wal-Mart does from my observation.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:22 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,825,579 times
Man, tough crowd! I'm a Dietitian/nutritionist and can very easily produce high quality, healthy meals with groceries from FL! I also shop many of the other local grocery stores too (I have favorite things/products from different stores including HT, Whole Foods, TJ, Aldi and Fresh Market!) but I have no problem with the majority of the Food Lions near me in Cary. They are generally very clean and TBH, I get better service at the meat counter there than in the new fancy HT by my house where I can't get anyone to pay attention to me at the meat or deli counter! It usually takes me 20 minutes if I have o get anything from the deli!
I think their selection of produce and health food products has improved dramatically. I don't generally "love" their meats and prefer meats from other stores, but I also have never had anything terrible from FL either. The butcher at the one by house is the nicest guy and he's always out asking people if they need help! They also carry some more unusual meat products like ox tail and a petite pork shoulder I've never found anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary