U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM

7,693 posts, read 10,062,057 times

Advertisements

I'll have to say that the Food Lion on Davis is not bad. I have not been in another FL in several years so they all may be nicer now but they have a decent selection and it is nor depressing like older FL stores are. There are a few things I still need to go to HT for but not much. Food Lion has Dietz and Watson deli meat now and they are good ( though since HT switched to Boars Head I've Been going there instead for cold cuts. ) So, overall Harris Teeter is nicer but at least I don't feel like I can't shop at Food Lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
I've seen some FL remodeled and they are just below, if not on par w/ Bloom, and loads better than the old FLs. They can upgrade all the FLs w/o changing the name.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 PM

926 posts, read 1,427,394 times
Someone whose wife works for Food Lion told me years ago that there are different "levels" of Food Lion stores. He says he can tell by the font on the front of the building what "level" of store it is. Stores in poor neighborhoods will be more run-down, and carry a certain selection, while stores in wealthier neighborhoods will carry a different selection.

A new Bloom doesn't have to be "built", I visited one years ago in Charlotte that had been converted from FL to Bloom. Or they can just make a more spruced-up FL, as macjr suggested.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,713,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'll have to say that the Food Lion on Davis is not bad. I have not been in another FL in several years so they all may be nicer now but they have a decent selection and it is nor depressing like older FL stores are. There are a few things I still need to go to HT for but not much. Food Lion has Dietz and Watson deli meat now and they are good ( though since HT switched to Boars Head I've Been going there instead for cold cuts. ) So, overall Harris Teeter is nicer but at least I don't feel like I can't shop at Food Lion.
I like the one on Davis Dr. too.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
The Food Lion on Strickland Road was to be a Bloom but is now just a regular pretty Food Lion. It opened a couple of months ago, I think.

Went there today...very nice, NEW and CLEAN! Hubby usually does the grocery shopping and he says he still likes Lowes Foods better. He thought Lowes Foods prices were better.

Their meat looked good...I'll see how it tastes!

Vicki

Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM

7,693 posts, read 10,062,057 times
I know that some of that Dateline stuff was trumped up (Food Lion actually made a video showing some inconsistencies and distributed it interally) but I'm still not about to buy meat at Food Lion.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

110 posts, read 303,854 times
Thanks for the information. Sounds like it won't be a total loss to have it nearby, but I doubt I will be buying any meat there either

Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I know that some of that Dateline stuff was trumped up (Food Lion actually made a video showing some inconsistencies and distributed it interally) but I'm still not about to buy meat at Food Lion.
Cooked a whole chicken tonight (purchased at the new Food Lion). It was yummy. And we are all still alive!

Going to cook the pork roast tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!!!

Vicki

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Pork Loin at FL is on sale now and I bought $25.00 worth. I'll section it and freeze for later. I have had consistently good luck with FL meats and other products as well. HT is just too expensive.

And all grocery stores differ by selection depending on the demographics of the neighborhoods they are in. It's good business practice to cater your inventory to your customers. Nothing unusual about that.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM

84 posts, read 165,571 times
I try to avoid Food Lion uness I really need to go there... The one in Fuquay is an older one, and the other 2 in town are starting to look the same way.
The meat are awful, the deli meats are awful abd the produce is awful , the bakery is awful. why would I shop there.
Harris Teeter or Lowes food is too expensive , its Walmart or Kroger for the stuff other than meats.
Sams Clubs or Bj's has the meat and deli meat that taste right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary