U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:28 PM

99 posts, read 322,634 times

Advertisements

We're building a home in Cary. When we visited the home y'day, I found several areas which made me uneasy (water sitting in the crawl space, broken/decayed 2x4s, etc.)

I spoke with the builder last week but the explanation I received was not very satisfactory.

I am considering doing a Pre-Sheetrock/ Insulation inspection. Can anyone suggest a good inspector?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM

99 posts, read 322,634 times
No comments?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 AM

7,690 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Why not call the building inspector in Cary and ask him where he is at with it? I will say, that there is no way that they can leave a bunch of crap in teh crawlspace in Cary and get a CO, unless they have changed things pretty drastically, so they will have to deal with it eventually.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 AM

206 posts, read 656,332 times
We just used Residential Consulting - Home Inspection and were very happy. We used him for the pre drywall also. We felt it was worth every penny to have a pre drywall inspection done for our peace of mind.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM

675 posts, read 1,618,216 times
I highly recommend David Jones with Expert Inspection Service. He's not cheap, but he's extremely thorough and patient. We used him twice in the last few years on a house we backed out of the deal on (because of stuff he found during his inspection!) and the new house we ended up building.

Link: Expert Inspection Service, Inc.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 AM

3,079 posts, read 938,234 times
My sister just used Precision Home Inspection - Home Inspection and was very pleased.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,049,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Why not call the building inspector in Cary and ask him where he is at with it? I will say, that there is no way that they can leave a bunch of crap in teh crawlspace in Cary and get a CO, unless they have changed things pretty drastically, so they will have to deal with it eventually.
x2

The city/county inspector will make sure that any issues are taken care of.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
x2

The city/county inspector will make sure that any issues are taken care of.
I tend to agree - my screened porch didn't pass "final inspection" because the contractor forgot to tuck the insulation back up in the crawlspace (where the deck was attached to the house). I'm glad he caught that because I'm not sure I would have looked under there any time soon!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM

10 posts, read 24,431 times
My wife and I spent some time reading reviews and ended up going with Mike Schulz from Affordable Home Inspections This was our first home and it’s also a new build so we didn’t want to take any chances. He found a number of things in the pre-drywall inspection that I would never have thought to look for really. He probably also taught us more about the our furnace, water tank, etc, etc than our contractor from MiHomes haha. Very knowledgeable guy and really pleasant experience also; if you’re still looking.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:51 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencingMachine View Post
He probably also taught us more about the our furnace, water tank, etc, etc than our contractor from MiHomes haha.
I always learn a lot during home inspections - well worth the time to be there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary