U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,329,756 times

Advertisements

Oh, high school reunion dot com and classmates dot com if your friend is looking for someone from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
RaleighLass, that was way before my time! I wasn't even born in 1962!

But remember that this would have been during segregated schools, so it would matter whether the person is black or white (to put it bluntly). Broughton would have been the "white" school for most of the city and the "black" school may no longer exist.

ecam222, do you know what part of town they lived in?

There may be a historical section on the Wake County schools site somewhere, though in 1962, there would have been separate "Raleigh city" schools and "Wake County" being everything outside of town, with "town" being all "inside the Beltline" as we know today.
LOL!! Sorry Francois Yes, I know you are too young to have been around, but thought that growing up here you'd know of the schools. You still gave the OP great advice

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,361,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Sanderson was opened I think. Its in North Raleigh..
Not until the 1968-69 school year.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Quote:
Sanderson was opened I think. Its in North Raleigh.
Not until the 1968-69 school year.
Right. There was a huge growth of schools going up in North Raleigh from the late 60s-late 70s (my era) as the first wave of transplants (mostly IBM) moved to Raleigh (many of them to North Raleigh--the 'Cary' of its day) and the first "suburban sprawl" began northward starting at North Hills.

Sanderson and Millbrook High Schools, East and West Millbrook Middle Schools, Douglas and North Ridge Elementary (and probably others)...all of these popped up in the late 60s->early 70s. Carroll Jr High was a little older, but I doubt it goes back to 1962 (and it wasn't a High School anyway, of course).

EDIT: I've done a little research and I can't find much either. I would suggest contacting a reference librarian at Cameron Village library (you can submit questions online, I think). They surely have a bounty of Raleigh historiy resources there--the Raleigh City Museum is another place to check with, though I don't they they are really set up as a research resource.

Last edited by Francois; 03-16-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
There was a huge growth of schools going up in North Raleigh from the late 60s-late 70s (my era) as the first wave of transplants (mostly IBM) moved to Raleigh (many of them to North Raleigh--the 'Cary' of its day) and the first "suburban sprawl" began northward starting at North Hills.

Sanderson and Millbrook High Schools, East and West Millbrook Middle Schools, Douglas and North Ridge Elementary (and probably others)...all of these popped up in the late 60s->early 70s. Carroll Jr High was a little older, but I doubt it goes back to 1962 (and it wasn't a High School anyway, of course).
Oh I remember that era so well. North Raleigh was really cooking during that time.

The best I remember Carroll Junior High opened about the 1965-1966 school year.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times
Quote:
Right. There was a huge growth of schools going up in North Raleigh from the late 60s-late 70s (my era) as the first wave of transplants (mostly IBM) moved to Raleigh (many of them to North Raleigh--the 'Cary' of its day) and the first "suburban sprawl" began northward starting at North Hills.

EDIT: I've done a little research and I can't find much either. I would suggest contacting a reference librarian at Cameron Village library (you can submit questions online, I think). They surely have a bounty of Raleigh historiy resources there--the Raleigh City Museum is another place to check with, though I don't they they are really set up as a research resource.
East and West Millbrook didn't exist in the 60's or early 70's. There used to be ONE Millbrook Jr. High. It was the location of the current Millbrook Elementary. East Millbrook was built first and was followed by West Millbrook in the mid 70's. I know; I attended one year (the very first 9th grade class) at West Millbrook. Since I graduated high school in 1980, that means that West Millbrook wasn't open until the fall of 1976.

The current Millbrook Elementary and former Millbrook Jr. High used to also house Millbrook High School before the current location was built in the late 60's. I think it was built the same year as Sanderson but I could be off by a year or so.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,237 times
Hello everyone
I, too, was a by product of the "old" Rex Hospital, still have the original Birth Certificate, the big one, not the one one file with the gubmint. Was a student of Wiley Elementary school, went from there to the best danged Jr High school in the state Hugh Morson Jr High, from there I went to Needham B Broughton, didn't care much for Broughton. After school was drafted. did my stent then joined the Air Force. Been back and forth from time to time, now in Florida... lived in all the Southern states, California, New Mexico. Can't figure out where I want to hang my hat. It'll probably end up in a Mortuary trash can somewhere within the continental South. Raleigh was a great place to grow up... some of my most fond memories are of Hugh Morson Jr High, the friends, the times... heck I even enjoyed the school... it was a great place to be at that age. Anyhow... I'll be back from time to time to aggrevate and share in some of them good ol' times.
Good meeting you,
Don

Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Hugh Morson was a wonderful old school. The building had such a warm feeling when you walked about it. I went there only a short time in the fall semester of the 1965-1966 school year. The student body(combined Enloe Junior High and Morson Junior High school was already called Aycock Junior High School but in the Morson building awaiting the opening the new school next to Enloe. When we left for the Christmas holidays the wrecking ball moved in and construction of the new Federal Building followed. I still hear stories about Morson....lots of great memories!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 37,339 times
There was also a "black" school on Oberlin Rd. near where the old YWCA was and the Interact (I believe) building is now. I was pretty young at the time, but I believe it may have housed grades 1-12. I seem to remember it being referred to the Oberlin Road school. It would have been torn down in the very early 60's.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidnNC View Post
There was also a "black" school on Oberlin Rd. near where the old YWCA was and the Interact (I believe) building is now. I was pretty young at the time, but I believe it may have housed grades 1-12. I seem to remember it being referred to the Oberlin Road school. It would have been torn down in the very early 60's.
Although I never recall seeing it myself, the only thing I can think of there at that location would be the old Latta school.....part of historic Oberlin Village. It was a trade school for freedmen after the Civil War....also an orphanage. I'm not sure about it's use in later years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary