Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,794 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a non-subdivision home, where the lot is wooded on three sides; also quiet and private. I've had enough experience with buses outside my house, dogs, and kids messing with my property. Is it possible to find anything that won't be an hour's drive into RTP? The real estate search engines all seem to point predominantly to neighborhoods, but I'm not looking for that.

Tx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times
Most likely there is.

A real estate agent could help you.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,567 times
There were a bunch of small 15-30 house subdivisions built in the late 70s and early 80s around Chapel Hill that had unique houses built on 1-2 acre lots, that run in your price range and might suit what you are looking for (heavily wooded, good space between houses, backing up to farmland or woods). Greenfield and The Trails west of Carrboro and Polks Landing in Chatham are a couple that come to mind, there are probably dozens of others.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,087,756 times
Northern Durham County, Northern & SW Orange County, SE Alamance County & East-Central Chatham County all might fit the bill.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,096,550 times
Even Raleigh, along Ten-Ten (close to Garner) has neighborhoods like that. There are no HOA's and although it's a "neighborhood" you'd be wooded on three sides.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:52 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,273,711 times
You really need to decide on a location/town/area. There are many areas that will fit your bill, but without more info, we can't point you to the right area. As for the MLS listings.... just because a home is listed in a neighborhood doesn't mean that it is a subdivision... example Bethesda, quite close to RTP, but it is not a subdivision, it is a community that runs pretty much from 40 to 70. Within that area you can find many places that fit your bill.... Lumley Road... Glover Road... Ellis Road.... All of these have houses you describe

Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,016,708 times
wake forest is a nice option, within 35 minutes of RTP, you can find homes not in subdivisions, usually on at least an acre if not more.

Leigh

Old 03-19-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
There were a bunch of small 15-30 house subdivisions built in the late 70s and early 80s around Chapel Hill that had unique houses built on 1-2 acre lots, that run in your price range and might suit what you are looking for (heavily wooded, good space between houses, backing up to farmland or woods). Greenfield and The Trails west of Carrboro and Polks Landing in Chatham are a couple that come to mind, there are probably dozens of others.

So probably based on the $200k (or so) limit, I wouldn't be looking at something less than 10 years old?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
You really need to decide on a location/town/area. There are many areas that will fit your bill, but without more info, we can't point you to the right area. As for the MLS listings.... just because a home is listed in a neighborhood doesn't mean that it is a subdivision... example Bethesda, quite close to RTP, but it is not a subdivision, it is a community that runs pretty much from 40 to 70. Within that area you can find many places that fit your bill.... Lumley Road... Glover Road... Ellis Road.... All of these have houses you describe

Well I want the place to be safe and able to sell with some profit in 10 years or so when I'd like to retire. I've lived in Wake county, Cary and Apex, for the last 15 years. I'm just not familiar enough with the other towns around RTP, to know how that would sit with me. It sounds like from everyone's comments that their are 'nuggets' of this type in many places around the area. I've driven up to Wake Forest, Youngsville and then east over to Creedmoor and the new houses (lower price) either didn't have sufficient land/privacy or the one's that did had $400-500K homes on them.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
wake forest is a nice option, within 35 minutes of RTP, you can find homes not in subdivisions, usually on at least an acre if not more.

Leigh
Really? That's not bad at all. So hopping on 540 at 8:30am will be 35 minutes? Or is that a special back-road route that you take earlier in the morning? I haven't been around WF at that time of day, but that kind of commute would be very acceptable. I drove through WF on the weekend, but didn't see anything fitting my 'list', nor have I seen it on the on-line search engines. Maybe the real estate agents don't put everything on hotpad or realtor.com? Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary