U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,848,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyreb View Post
just wondering if public schools were any good in those.
today or tomorrow???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM

7,702 posts, read 10,074,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
today or tomorrow???
Exactly. Right now, I would be very leery of moving due to schools until things shake out.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,581,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Some of the best schools are inside the beltline. Many of the magnet programs are also inside the beltline.
That is how it is today. But given the current school board that took over in the Fall, I don't know if that will be the case long term. Of course, there are monied parts of ITB that will always get good schools, but I'm not sure sure about the edges. And I certainly would not bet on all the magnet schools in ITB to remain magnets.

I think in the next 3 years the current school board is going to have bigger negative impact on real estate in Wake County than people think the socio-economic policy had on Wake's real estate. It's an ugly mess right now and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 AM

814 posts, read 1,703,212 times
Quote:
Of course, there are monied parts of ITB that will always get good schools,
Okay, I take offense to this statement. How do you figure. True, some ITB schools have strong PTAs that do extra things for the schools, but what are non-magnet ITB schools getting that any other Wake County school is not getting? I certainly don't see it at our ITB school, we are dealing with the same cuts, teacher shortages, etc. as every other school. I go in those new schools outside the beltline and am amazed by the facilities.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,020,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I think in the next 3 years the current school board is going to have bigger negative impact on real estate in Wake County than people think the socio-economic policy had on Wake's real estate. It's an ugly mess right now and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
I disagree. I think that in some areas of Raleigh - like 27614 - the home prices are going to go up due to excellent test scores in 'local' schools and high average SES.

My DH tells me to stop being annoyed at the school board because they might very well be doing us a favor if our property values increase due to changing wake-ed-board strategy...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-16-2010 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Just fixed the "quote" code

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

It has been an ugly mess but the "worse" has already happened with reassignments every year and kids attending 3 different high schools in 4 years due to that.

Wake County Real Estate will benefit greatly because people will be able to move here and choose a neighborhood and know where their kids will be attending school.

It is no secret that many people avoid Wake County right now because of the uncertainty of reassignments and year round conversions.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,334,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
My DH tells me to stop being annoyed at the school board because they might very well be doing us a favor if our property values increase due to changing wake-ed-board strategy...
Great, so your property values go up and education equality goes down. What a great trade-off!

Mike

Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,038,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Wake County Real Estate will benefit greatly because people will be able to move here and choose a neighborhood and know where their kids will be attending school.
My concern is what will happen to the neighborhoods that ppl won't choose as they don't like the "economic" or racial makeup of the school? the change has the potential to influence property prices negatively for some.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Just fixed the "quote" code

Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,893,206 times
The new school board has said that they were not interested in eliminating the magnet programs that exist in many schools ITB. Perhaps they are going to use the choice of going to a magnet as a mechanism to mitigate any negative impact on particular schools? That said, I don't think that's going to be their concern. I just don't get warm fuzzies from them in that regard.
I think they are going to be a disaster. It's my gut feeling. Let's hope that either they realize it or that the voters do in short order.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Let's hope that either they realize it or that the voters do in short order.
I think the voters have already made their opinion clear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary