U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM

3,079 posts, read 4,993,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't need to be best buddies with my bank tellers, so video tellers are fine with me.

I would rather do business with a bank with video tellers than a bank with live tellers that is much more vulnerable to bank robberies; there have been a few robberies in North Raleigh in recent months.
Reduced risk of robberies is one of the commonly offered benefits of teller-less banking. From a security perspective it makes sense though I'm not sure if there are statistics to back it up.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM

517 posts, read 1,398,968 times
I've had nothing but good experiences with Coastal in my nine years with them. I dig the video tellers.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,922,444 times
We bank with Coastal Federal Credit Union and, on the whole, our experience has been great. There are no fees for our accounts. Plus, the interest rates they pay on their green checking accounts is great.

The so-called video tellers don't bother me one bit. Note that the tellers are real people talking directly with you. They are in the same building as you - just in a separate room. The only difference is that you look at their face on a TV screen and you can talk to them through a telephone receiver. I honestly feel very little difference between this experience and a "normal" teller experience. Plus, as a person who used to work at a bank, I love this because that little bit of physical separation creates more security for the tellers. It also discourages lonely people from standing around and "chatting" with the tellers for 15 minutes - an uncomfortable and creepy issue at the old bank where I used to work.

The one area where CFCU annoys me is their mortgage department. The rates are great, but you may have to work HARD to get anyone on the phone. If you're interested in taking out a loan with them, get in touch early. I feel it was worth the effort, even if it was a bit more stressful than I'd have liked.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,814,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
The so-called video tellers don't bother me one bit. Note that the tellers are real people talking directly with you. They are in the same building as you - just in a separate room.
I don't think the video tellers are necessarily in the same building as you. Part of the cost savings is the fact that they don't have to staff the less busy branches at off times (or at all). I found the machine awkward to use at best. Luckily I don't foresee having to deal with it again, as I have since received my CFCU ATM card. I'll use Wachovia when I have a need for a live teller transaction (i.e. cashier's check).

Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,848,402 times
Bank robbers are generally stupid, but anyone who would try to rob a bank with video tellers is REALLY stupid. It's too difficult to find out if anyone has ever tried, because the terms "video" and "bank robber" are often in the same story. (Google sure indexes things fast; I was searching, and I found my own post in the search results that I wrote here earlier today!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Reduced risk of robberies is one of the commonly offered benefits of teller-less banking. From a security perspective it makes sense though I'm not sure if there are statistics to back it up.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I don't think the video tellers are necessarily in the same building as you.
They most definitely are in the same building. How else would they be able to access the information that I send to them through the pneumatic tube?

Last edited by MrsSteel; 03-16-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,814,976 times
Coastal Federal closing branches - Economy - NewsObserver.com

Quote:
The credit union also has been expanding its operating hours at its branches as it rolls out its Express Teller technology, which enables branches to serve members with fewer tellers. The technology enables tellers working at the company's headquarters on Saint Albans Drive in Raleigh to serve members at multiple branches in different locations, thanks to video links and a machine that scans checks and dispenses coins, cash and receipts.
(bold emphasis mine)

Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 PM

502 posts, read 1,430,729 times
I had problems with BB&T years ago, but maybe it was the small town branch I dealt with.

First they gave me a "regular" savings account packed with fees and minimum balance requirements instead of a student account when I was a teenager. When I pointed out the error and asked them to change it they wouldn't.

Then there was the time they didn't key the change portion of my car payment. So instead of being credited for the $200.50 written on the check, for example, I was credited for $200. Would you believe they tried to charge me late fees and threatened to repossess my car over the $0.50 they didn't key?!

The final straw was when they charged me an account service fee within days of opening an account after saying they wouldn't. This was shortly after a friend of mine, a long time account holder, told me they wouldn't deposit her small payroll check - drawn off of large well know bank - into her own account because they'd "never heard of the company who wrote the check".

So no, I'm not very fond of BB&T...

Old 03-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Well, all I can do is tell you about my personal experiences at branches of Coastal Federal Credit Union in Durham. At my local branch, the teller is definitely in the same building. I can even see them on the TV screen, handling the pneumatic tube canister I sent to them as well as the documents I placed in the canister.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM

280 posts, read 636,017 times
We are with Coastal FCU since 1999 - we started with the RTP branch and then moved to the one on Davis drive and are very happy with them. I have not used them for mortgage but have had checking accounts, CCs and CDS with them. They have been nothing but stellar and friendly to us. I have been using the video tellers ever since they started and have never had problems with checks or whatever getting stuck etc. For me friendly service and great rates are important. They give me a decent interest on my checking account for using my debit card 12 times a month. I also use their Credit card and have had no issues with it. Last year when I travelled to India and used the card without inforning them and they immediately cancelled my card and sent a replacement.They did leave messages on my home # before they did it but I wasnt here to get them. But looking back I think its a very good approach. I would certainly want my card locked if someone say in Europe was using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary