U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 21,937 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have visited the area previously and are planning to move as soon as the house here sells. We haven't brought the kids before and I was hoping for suggestions about events or places we could enjoy this weekend.

They are girls (14, 12, and 8) and are currently quite reluctant about moving and leaving their friends. I would like this to be a really positive visit so they will have something to look forward to.

We are looking to buy in Chapel Hill, but if there is anything in the area that would be fine. We're driving down on Thursday, so I'm looking for ideas for Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM

6,186 posts, read 13,896,525 times
At the NC Fairgrounds, activities this weekend include a horse show and a cat show (Saturday only). You'll also find an India Fest Cultural Showcase and a Bead Mercantile show (bead vendors from across the U.S.).

The horse show and India Fest are free, and the other two activities have low admission fees.

Here's the Fairgrounds calendar for March:
NCDA&CS - N.C. State Fair Division

Alice in Wonderland is playing in 3D at the Imax theater in Raleigh. http://www.imaxraleigh.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniffer View Post
My husband and I have visited the area previously and are planning to move as soon as the house here sells. We haven't brought the kids before and I was hoping for suggestions about events or places we could enjoy this weekend.

They are girls (14, 12, and 8) and are currently quite reluctant about moving and leaving their friends. I would like this to be a really positive visit so they will have something to look forward to.

We are looking to buy in Chapel Hill, but if there is anything in the area that would be fine. We're driving down on Thursday, so I'm looking for ideas for Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 PM

You could take them rollerskating: Jellybeans Skate Center

Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 AM

Both great ideas! Our skating rink closed, so that's definitely a selling point. And, no girl can resist horses.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM

305 posts, read 662,972 times
jniffer, where are you coming from? Maybe we could think of some ideas that would be different or not just like what you have at home, or maybe exactly like what you have at home if that would help. Do your girls have any special favorite activities?

You might check the Chapel Hill News calendars of events — the arts calendar (http://www.chapelhillnews.com/2010/03/10/55625/arts-notes.html - broken link) and the daybook (http://www.chapelhillnews.com/2010/03/17/55748/day-book.html - broken link). There may be something there. The Independent may have an interesting event for you, too. The News & Observer might have something listed, too.

I'm not sure what kinds of things your kids like to do, but we have a wide variety here. There's a UNC baseball game on Saturday if y'all are sports fans.

There's a fabulous amazing more-than-puppet show in Saxapahaw (20 minutes north of Carrboro). It's called "Love & Robots" and is performed by Paperhand Puppet Intervention. They have a wonderful show in the summer in Forest Theatre on UNC's campus and also travel to the art museum in Raleigh. They make amazing giant puppets and shadow puppets out of scrounged cardboard, fabric scraps, glue, old house paint, and found objects. Here's a review of the show at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro, but this weekend they'll be performing it at their ramshackle, almost falling down, but very cool and quaint headquarters venue in the teeny river mill town of Saxapahaw.

If your girls are more of the shopping types, maybe they'd enjoy just checking out the mall. Southpoint mall is big (and very overwhelming for me, the mom who hates to shop in big crowds) and very popular. There's a movie theater there so you could catch a flick, too. It'll probably be full of teens.

I know the 8 year old would probably love the NC Museum of Life and Science. It's a great hands-on family science museum in Durham. It's really great for all ages, but if your big girls are like some they might enjoy something that is more teen focused.

There are also great museums in Raleigh, and Durham. In Durham if you might like to check out the Nasher Art Museum and Duke Gardens. In Raleigh, there's Marbles kids museum (a little young for your girls) where the IMAX theatre is. The museum of Natural Sciences is downtown right across from the museum of History.

There's also an ice-skating rink in Hillsborough (20 minutes north of Chapel Hill) at the triangle Sportsplex. There's a pool there, too.

The weather is looking really good for Friday and Saturday so that's a big plus. They might just enjoy walking around UNC campus, too.

hth

Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 16,131 times
http://www.ncmls.org/ Life and Science Museum in Durham is great.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Don't do too much. There won't be anything to see once you move here.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 AM

We are coming from the Pittsburgh area, so I would definitely like to do something outside so we can enjoy the weather. I keep telling them that there will be more opportunities to enjoy festivals and music and sunshine.

Their main interests are soccer, swimming, dance, cheerleading/gymnastics, and art.

They do enjoy ice and roller skating, so it is good to know those are available, but I'm afraid that would only point out that they don't have friends in NC yet. Skating and sporting events are mostly social events for them.

The life and science museum and puppet show both sound like something we could all enjoy.

They are always up for shopping and movies! Are there any outdoor shopping area that teens frequent? Most of us are gluten free, so I need to look back and find the posts about restaurants.

So many great ideas!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM

305 posts, read 662,972 times
Half of Southpoint is outside. There's Pottery Barn and Barnes & Noble and the movies and the Apple Store, etc, etc, etc. I really try to avoid the place, personally, but I did just take my 9 year old last month for her birthday. I just can't cope with big malls. I'm more of an outdoor, small store person, but I know a lot of people —teens, in particular— love that stuff.

You can always just walk down Franklin Street, too. There are plenty of restaurants and Carolina t-shirt shops. If Carolina had a halfway decent basketball team this year there would be many people on Franklin Street in various bars watching them play in the NCAA tournament, but this is the worst season in recent memory. Urgh! (Duke fans, be quiet!)

The NC Life & Science Museum has a lot of outdoor space as well as indoor space. They have quite a few animals outside including rescued black bears, endangered red wolves in a captive breeding program, and lemurs.

If they're into dance you might point out that Durham is home to the American Dance Festival every summer. It's very cool, though unfortunately not happening right now. There are a lot of outdoor activities in the summer and starting in April, really. March can be iffy on weather, so not so much is scheduled outdoors this month, but this weekend looks wonderful.

Justin Roberts is playing at the ArtsCenter this weekend, but that's a little young for your big girls. The 8 yr old might enjoy him. There's a big music festival in April if you wanna come back — Shakori Hills.

Check out triangle.com | Enjoy (http://www.triangle.com/enjoy/ - broken link) and you might find some listings that look good to you.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,145,913 times
A note on the NC Museum of Life and Science...they have their annual Robot Rumble on Saturday, which means there will be a huge number of people there...might not be the best day to visit, unless your kids don't mind big crowds and would be interested in the festivities. I'd suggest hitting it Friday instead (all the animals were very active last weekend, so it is a good time to go see the bears, wolves and lemurs). Very pleasant place to spend time outdoors. If you think you are interested in the robot event, you can get more info here Robot Rumble 2010 | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science (http://www.ncmls.org/visit/events/robotrumble2010 - broken link).

In Chapel Hill, the botanical gardens are nice North Carolina Botanical Garden - A Conservation Garden. You can also take a walk on the bolin creek trail between the community center park on estes and Martin Luther King. Flying Burrito on MLK is a nice place for an outdoor lunch and is kid friendly (and should have a decent amount of gluten free options).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary