U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,019,001 times

Advertisements

Folks are advised not to put pine straw near decks or near the house because a cigarette not quite out can smolder and erupt into a bad fire. They think that is what happened with that beach house tragedy that killed all those college kids a year or two ago.

Some areas (eg: Chapel Hill, Morrisville) have ordinances against apartments, town houses and multi-family homes not allowed to have pine straw within 10 feet of the building:
Fires fuel new laws and fees in Morrisville: Pine straw banned near apartments, condominiums | Government > Government Bodies & Offices from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices-regional/13387619-1.html - broken link)

But, we use it in our natural areas - the long needle variety. no one smokes in our family, so hopefully it won't be an issue out front near the house. Back around the deck, we use hardwood mulch in the beds beside it because we barbecue back there and we have stone directly under our deck so nothing can smolder.

As far as buying it - I have bought it at home depot, lowes and also ace hardware and the price varies between 3-4.50$ a bale - I swear, it is more expensive the later in the season as the supply runs lower! So now I buy mine early - before I get desperate enough to pay on the high end!! I used to wait until my beech tree has dropped its leaves in the spring, and that is always way too late. I think it is a beech - it is whatever kind of tree that holds onto its orangey/brown leaves until new buds push them off...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:21 PM

213 posts, read 440,478 times
Are you supposed to put new pine straw over what's left of the old straw? Or should you dispose of the old straw first?

WeLuvNC, that's a good point about not putting straw under a deck. Our house came with it that way and we never really thought about it. We have an evil grill that seems to have aspirations of being a volcano. I think we'll replace the straw with stone very soon!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,817,852 times
I got some over the weekend from the folks that drive around the neighborhoods with the trailer full of pine straw. It was $3.35/each. I didn't try to talk them down any. It was as good or better than I what usually get from HD, etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Many of the plants indigenous to NC that we plant in our yards benefit from the acid from the pine straw. I have been gardening all of my life, and I have never had a problem with the straw catching afire in the yard. Perhaps in the weather conditions -- as dry as it was a few years back -- it is a risk, but I would surmise most straw going up in a blaze would be because someone has been careless and tossed out a cigarette butt? That, and people tend to think of mulch as something to 'neaten up' a bed, and overlook its real purpose, which is to help the ground retain moisture.

You should also try to alternate your mulch(es), and put more of it down than what you might think, initially. A blanket of 4-6" of the triple-chopped bark is best, followed the next time with the straw, and then the mulch again. You can also use newspapers -- the newsprint paper, not the glossies -- as a blanket under the mulch to control weeds. With enough mulch, you really should not have a problem with weeds, and your plants should be able to survive a bit of a dry spell.

I put straw out twice a year -- Fall and Spring -- and alternate with the other mulches, annually. You can also use the grass clippings, but you need to let the clippings dry before you spread them, or you may introduce mold, and I wouldn't use my grass clippings if your lawn is weed-loaded, or they will 'seed' themselves in the bed.
Why not just use leaf mulch? It's nutrient rich, lasts about a year and looks nice. We've been using it for years have have something similar to real topsoil in our beds.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,149,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Why not just use leaf mulch? It's nutrient rich, lasts about a year and looks nice. We've been using it for years have have something similar to real topsoil in our beds.
Both are good.

If you have pine trees in your yard, it is cheap and easy to rake it up. Use what nature gives you!

IMHO pine straw lasts a LOT longer than leaf mulch.

I put leaf mulch on my veggie garden because it breaks down faster, and if I had extra, I would put it UNDER the pine straw so all the beds would be uniform, KWIM?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM

371 posts, read 1,006,430 times
My friend was telling me couple of days ago that he bought Straw/Mulch (don't remember what) at Lowes. He said Lowes website had lower price ($2) compared to in-store price (about $3.50) and he asked the store person if they price-match to their own website. They did and he's happy.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,004,009 times
Moved from FL to NC and never could figure out the love there with Pine Straw. I guess it's cheaper? I just get bark mulch delivered and I think it looks much better. Also better for plants.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,881 times
Default Delivery company name / number

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I got some over the weekend from the folks that drive around the neighborhoods with the trailer full of pine straw. It was $3.35/each. I didn't try to talk them down any. It was as good or better than I what usually get from HD, etc.

Do you have the name and number of the company you use?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,155,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCC24 View Post
Do you have the name and number of the company you use?
I think Don was just referring to the roving trucks that occasionally drive through a neighborhood selling pine straw.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,844,713 times
ill use pinestraw for my veggie garden, but for landscaping, i much prefer the look of mulch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary