U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed a good price on pine straw bales locally (in the west wake area)? Lowe's was $3.79, I was hoping to find it cheaper than that!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM

995 posts, read 2,505,352 times
lowes and homedepot are going to have it for the cheapest. I've checked around last year and garden centers and nursery's sell it for a buck more.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 7,363,619 times
Let me know if anyone finds some clean fresh pine straw around town. I mean "clean" as in no cones or sticks or matting. I don't mind spending a little more

Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,721,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Let me know if anyone finds some clean fresh pine straw around town. I mean "clean" as in no cones or sticks or matting. I don't mind spending a little more
I don't understand comparison pricing of pine straw bales. The size, weight and quality is all over the map. These folks deliver and consistently sell the best quality bales I've seen. They will cost more ... go figure.

Pine Straw Delivery and Spreading Services; Raleigh & Charlotte NC

Frank

Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM

18 posts, read 112,487 times
Actually, I have found that Lowes pine straw bales are good. The pine straw is relatively clean and the it is sourced from North Carolina providers (not from Florida.) And if you have not yet applied for the 10% discount from Lowes - https://www.lowesmoving.com/register/step1.asp , you can then get bales for under $3.50.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM

476 posts, read 1,397,445 times
I guess the difference in the pricing has something to do with where the pine is from and the length of the needles. Both places I called quoted me short and long LEAF.

I sent DH with a $3.50 per bale coupon to Home & Garden in Apex on 55 and he came back with long "leaf" at $4.75 (or something like that) a bale saying the $3.50 short needle stuff was inferior. It will break down more quickly too.

It does look good indeed!

So not all pine straw is created equal and be sure you are pricing "apples to apples".

Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times
Hm..I never knew. I have never bought pine straw before (I'm highly allergic to yard work) but decided this year that I need some to cover up a natural area that has gone "bare". I guess I'll spend some more time looking into my options.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,488,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Hm..I never knew. I have never bought pine straw before (I'm highly allergic to yard work) but decided this year that I need some to cover up a natural area that has gone "bare". I guess I'll spend some more time looking into my options.
you may want to consider mini pine bark nuggetts from Walmart at $2.51 a bag - looks good and is better than pine straw if just covering a bare patch

Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 AM

982 posts, read 2,144,497 times
I heard pine straw was a fire hazard around here, and someone told me not to buy it.

But I'm not sure if it's a problem unless there's a lack of rain for long periods of time.

I think there are other choices that are more expensive but less troublesome in case there's a problem with lack of rainfall during the summer months.
best,
toodie

Old 03-18-2010, 06:18 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,227,249 times
Many of the plants indigenous to NC that we plant in our yards benefit from the acid from the pine straw. I have been gardening all of my life, and I have never had a problem with the straw catching afire in the yard. Perhaps in the weather conditions -- as dry as it was a few years back -- it is a risk, but I would surmise most straw going up in a blaze would be because someone has been careless and tossed out a cigarette butt? That, and people tend to think of mulch as something to 'neaten up' a bed, and overlook its real purpose, which is to help the ground retain moisture.

You should also try to alternate your mulch(es), and put more of it down than what you might think, initially. A blanket of 4-6" of the triple-chopped bark is best, followed the next time with the straw, and then the mulch again. You can also use newspapers -- the newsprint paper, not the glossies -- as a blanket under the mulch to control weeds. With enough mulch, you really should not have a problem with weeds, and your plants should be able to survive a bit of a dry spell.

I put straw out twice a year -- Fall and Spring -- and alternate with the other mulches, annually. You can also use the grass clippings, but you need to let the clippings dry before you spread them, or you may introduce mold, and I wouldn't use my grass clippings if your lawn is weed-loaded, or they will 'seed' themselves in the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary