U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,578,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
There is HAVANA GRILL - no idea how good it is though (haven't been yet, and can't say I know much about Cuban food!).
I've only been there once, but I liked it. I want to go back. The setup is like a fast food place. You walk in and tell them what you want at the counter. You can order from the menu, or you can order from their "buffet" behind the counter. I had a chicken dish which was good. I was happy that they had fried plantains and black beans. Why is it so hard to find those in the Triangle!!

** One word of warning. If you drive in to the parking lot on Chatham, it's a pretty steep driveway and you might scrape your bumper. I did. You are better off turning at Dixon Ave and using that entrance to their parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 AM

814 posts, read 1,706,149 times
I have heard good things about Oakwood Cafe: Oakwood Cafe Raleigh Argentinean Cuban Restaurant

Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 AM

494 posts, read 1,195,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
My wife hasn't liked any Cuban food (she's an actual Cuban) since we moved here. She says you can tell there are Mexicans doing the cooking because of the slight flavor changes from what she's used to (and what she cooks for us at home). There is Tropical Picken Chicken in Wake Forest which is more of a "fast food" type of restaurant but they do have some pretty authentic tasting Cuban dishes and the guy who owns it is Cuban.
There are Mexicans cooking your Italian,and just about anything else you can think of.In NYC we called the chinese that cooked Spanish food in the Spanish neighborhoods Chinaricans.Great Spanish food.I'm looking foward to trying the tropical,I see they have a cuban sandwich.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 AM

450 posts, read 1,359,068 times
Quote:
My wife hasn't liked any Cuban food (she's an actual Cuban) since we moved here. She says you can tell there are Mexicans doing the cooking because of the slight flavor changes from what she's used to (and what she cooks for us at home). There is Tropical Picken Chicken in Wake Forest which is more of a "fast food" type of restaurant but they do have some pretty authentic tasting Cuban dishes and the guy who owns it is Cuban.
It doesn't matter who cooks the food. I once ate at an Italian restaurant, owned by a Cuban, in Puerto Rico, with Chinese cooks and it was some of the best Italian food I've ever had outside Italy (their rabbit fricassee was actually better than the one I had in Sicilly). My grandmother's sister (who has lived in Rome for 54 years) took us there about 15 years ago because she said it was the closest thing to real Italian food in Puerto Rico (I don't remember the name, but it was in Old San Juan and I heard it closed about 7-8 years ago, after the owner died).

BTW, the two times I've eaten at Carmens I've seen an old Cuban man come out of the kitchen. I don't know if he's the actual cook, but he was definitely Cuban (he had a deep Cuban accent and all the bling that goes with it, LOL).

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,970,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
It doesn't matter who cooks the food. I once ate at an Italian restaurant, owned by a Cuban, in Puerto Rico, with Chinese cooks and it was some of the best Italian food I've ever had outside Italy (their rabbit fricassee was actually better than the one I had in Sicilly). My grandmother's sister (who has lived in Rome for 54 years) took us there about 15 years ago because she said it was the closest thing to real Italian food in Puerto Rico (I don't remember the name, but it was in Old San Juan and I heard it closed about 7-8 years ago, after the owner died).

BTW, the two times I've eaten at Carmens I've seen an old Cuban man come out of the kitchen. I don't know if he's the actual cook, but he was definitely Cuban (he had a deep Cuban accent and all the bling that goes with it, LOL).
It matters if your wife can taste the difference and doesn't like the food! If the food was authentic, she doesn't care if a Pakistani is making it. That wasn't my point and I'm not "racist"

Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM

494 posts, read 1,195,476 times
Quote:

They actually just hired that guy.He's an actor and comes out into the dining room,to give it the authentic feel

Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM

450 posts, read 1,359,068 times
Quote:
It matters if your wife can taste the difference and doesn't like the food! If the food was authentic, she doesn't care if a Pakistani is making it. That wasn't my point and I'm not "racist"
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were a racist. Having spent extensive time in NYC, I have noticed that most kitchen folk tend to be Hispanic (in all types of ethnic restaurants), and it normally doesn't affect the flavor or authenticity. However, if your wife can taste the difference then I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
They actually just hired that guy.He's an actor and comes out into the dining room,to give it the authentic feel
Hahaha. Next time I go I'm going to ask the guy what he does there.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,970,917 times
Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were a racist. Having spent extensive time in NYC, I have noticed that most kitchen folk tend to be Hispanic (in all types of ethnic restaurants), and it normally doesn't affect the flavor or authenticity. However, if your wife can taste the difference then I guess it doesn't matter.
Actually I didn't think you implied that at all I was just mentioning it because it occurred to me after re-reading my post that it could be taken that way. Just wanted to clarify

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 AM

58 posts, read 129,383 times
Thanks for all the new options...hope at least one is good! But I know what you mean....when you are Puerto Rican and grew up around the food...you CAN taste the difference. I think that is why we are so picky when it comes to Spanish food. I can cook it really well at home, so why am I gonna pay for it if it tastes like crap! But, once in awhile we would like a treat and go out for it....this what we miss about NY! Hopefully one of these are a lot better than our first experience....thanks again!!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM

146 posts, read 540,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
There are Mexicans cooking your Italian,and just about anything else you can think of.In NYC we called the chinese that cooked Spanish food in the Spanish neighborhoods Chinaricans.Great Spanish food.I'm looking foward to trying the tropical,I see they have a cuban sandwich.
Wow, you just took me back... There was this wonderful place on the Upper West Side called Flor de Mayo, and I think the entire staff was Chinese. But they would cook these great Latin/Asian dishes, like bistec with fried rice and plantains. My wife and I had plenty of meals there when we were dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary