Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,754 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My Family and I are considering relocating to the Raleigh area (SW Raleigh near Cary) for work and would like opinions about the area. We are educated young professionals moving from a Kansas City subarb. We have a new baby boy, so my wife will be staying home with him. I have heard mix reviews of the Cary area, so I'm not sure what to think. My office will be located near Cary and I would like to know information. More specifically, what are things to do there, is it safe, alot of stay-at-home moms, etc. We are not looking to purchase a home until we learn more about the area.

We are true mid-westerners, where friends and family are important to us. We enjoy having great neighbors to where we can spend time with them. We live in a neighborhood now where people are very anti-social...this is not something we want where ever we move to.

Cary seems like an ideal location (close proximity to work and airport), however, I've read of the C.A.R.Y. stigma, and wonder is it really a good place to live. I've heard that it is similar to some of the KC subarbs.

Please provide me with both good and bad things about Raleigh and how living there is a good thing for my family and me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
There are a lot of people living in Cary, who are happy to be living in Cary.
Growth from 4,000 population 40 years ago to 130,000+/- today did not occur because everyone who lives here does not like Cary.

If you are uncomfortable in suburbia and prefer a more urban environment, Cary is not for you, however. Of course, people from NYC or Boston often wonder if there is any urban environment in the Triangle....

Cary commonly has made lists of safe cities to live in.
Cary is well situated to offer access to Raleigh.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
It is a good place to live.

Don't worry.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
People poke fun at Cary all the time. It's a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 AM

171 posts, read 430,190 times
I think you'll find it a great place to live. It has all those attributes you described. My personal experience, I found it easier to get to know your neighbors and have a genuine sense of community in Raleigh. That being said, Cary is a great place to live, especially for young families and those just moving to the area.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM

24 posts, read 54,101 times
First of may I say - what a fabulous choice you have made. I'm a mid-westerner as well born and brought up in northwestern Indiana. We moved here via after living in Canada about 14 years ago... I just wish we would have made the move sooner when our kids were younger.

There's not much bad I can say about the area (Cary, Apex, Morrisville) Other than I'm not one that likes the really humid months. But that's a small price to pay for the other priceless benefits! Like putting up Christmas decorations outside in SHORTS!!

Seriously, the area has received tremendous accolades for so many things (I can't put in links but just google Cary, or Raleigh accolades and you'll find them). The people are friendly and the living is good.

All the best to you as you make your plans.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM

306 posts, read 719,778 times
I have family in Shawnee, KS and comparing the two areas, I think you would like it here. This area is a great fit for many people. While every place is what you make it, I think you'll find most people welcoming and friendly--and there are many family-oriented activities.

It gets darn hot in KS in the summer..........and darn cold in the winter (and lots of snow)..........we have the darn hot here, but not nearly as much darn cold (and snow) as where you're coming from. (I believe you just received some snow last weekend... Here it was 70 degrees and sunny :-)

PS-Unfortunately, you will be giving up the most beautiful fountains when you leave KC!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstpeter View Post
There's not much bad I can say about the area (Cary, Apex, Morrisville) Other than I'm not one that likes the really humid months. But that's a small price to pay for the other priceless benefits! Like putting up Christmas decorations outside in SHORTS!!
Ditto!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 AM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times
You'll love the Raleigh/Cary area.

Accolades ::

http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Raleigh_At_A_Glance/About_Raleigh/Cat-2CA-2007423-142554-Raleigh_Recognition__Rec.html (broken link)

http://www.wakegov.com/about/accolades.htm

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM

19 posts, read 29,356 times
I live in Cary and my neighbors are great. We don't have cul de sac parties like we used to in Florida but mostly everyone is very nice. When we moved in two teens from down the street brought us homemade cookies and a homemade card welcoming us to the neighborhood.

I like it here very much and there are tons of song birds that seem to like it too which is awesome to wake up to.

Good luck on your relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary