Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 AM

58 posts, read 150,189 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are transplants from NY and have had a hard time finding good spanish food. We grew up around it (both of our families cook it) and I cook it at home. We went to Carmens Cuban Cafe and did not like it AT ALL! It did not taste like home cooked cuban food. It came out cold....and it was just gross. So I have just been cooking our rice and beans, platanos, pollo guisado, etc.... I want a night off!!!! I just want to find a really good place so we can get good food w/out me having to cook! LOL Any suggestions? (Besides Carmens)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
There is HAVANA GRILL - no idea how good it is though (haven't been yet, and can't say I know much about Cuban food!).

Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM

58 posts, read 150,189 times
Thanks! That will have to be the next one to try. Keeping my finger crossed!!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
cuban revolution in durham (and elsewhere maybe?)
i dont know a lot about cuban food, but i liked it there the one time i went

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM

116 posts, read 366,746 times
You can also try Carmens ::: Welcome to Carmens Cuban Cafe ::::::

It is right next to the outlet mall in Morrisville. I have had lunch there many times. The pork (Lechon Asado) is very tasty.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM

149 posts, read 615,489 times
The threadstarter said already they tried it and didn't like it... I have heard pretty good things about Havana Grill, though.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,986,229 times
My family went to Havana Grill last night, and we didn't think it was very good. Granted, I don't have a ton of experience with Cuban found, but we found the meat generally dry and tasteless. The rice and beans were fine, and I suppose the maduros were okay although I'm not a big plantain fan to begin with. The tres leches was very good. But it was the main meat dishes that we were not fans of. Perhaps the sandwiches would have been better, as they seem to be famous for those, but we thought we'd try entrees instead.

Keep in mind that it isn't fancy in the least...styrofoam plates and plastic silverware are all you get.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 AM

234 posts, read 822,628 times
All the reviews I have seen for Cuban Revolution have been not so good. The menu there does not look so great either.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
cuban revolution in durham (and elsewhere maybe?)
i dont know a lot about cuban food, but i liked it there the one time i went

Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,336 times
I'm surprised the OP didn't like Carmens. I also grew up eating PR/Cuban food (20 years in Puerto Rico) and I've eaten at Carmens a few times. It's not the best food, but it is authentic. It's what I'd expect to find in a comparable restaurant in Miami (i.e. an inexpensive Cuban restaurant).

I have not found any other good PR/Cuban food here, tho. I've been to Cuban Revolution once and had their cuban sandwich, but it was terrible (it had one thin slice of roast pork and one regular slice of ham, definitely missing the meat).

At least I still have some pasteles at home

Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times
My wife hasn't liked any Cuban food (she's an actual Cuban) since we moved here. She says you can tell there are Mexicans doing the cooking because of the slight flavor changes from what she's used to (and what she cooks for us at home). There is Tropical Picken Chicken in Wake Forest which is more of a "fast food" type of restaurant but they do have some pretty authentic tasting Cuban dishes and the guy who owns it is Cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary