Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

We just got the news my husband has been laid off. We had checks in the envelopes for our two 2nd graders for fun camps this summer. Not away camps but day camps. Now I ran to the mail box to rip them up.

We have a neighborhood pool which will be alot of fun for them but I need info about other things very reasonable for them to do. We already go to the library every Sunday as it is.

DH and I were talking about constructing some kind of "science week" , "art Week" "zoo week" for them ourselves but we need some guide lines. How can we get that without paying for home school material?

We have some cushion but still it came as a complete shock and it won't be easy. It makes us realize if it can happen to us , it can happen to anybody. Boy were we naive!

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Sorry to hear your news....

Do you have the book " Kids on the Hill" ?

There is also this site:

Chapel Hill Kids - Activities, Festivals and Events around Chapel Hill, NC

Good luck

Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM

151 posts, read 462,679 times
I would look into an annual membership to the Museum of Life Science in Durham. It's $115 for four people for a year. Once you are a member, you can go to all the labs for free. They have classes that cost extra, but a general membership gets you into alot of stuff.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
You don't have to buy anything. You can Google the topic name and then "lesson plans" or related search words, and you'll find a treasure trove.

Here's a link to zoo-related worksheets:
Zoo Animals Gallery

Main page with other links: http://www.learningpage.com/

Some are subscription-based, but you can get samples everywhere on the Internet.

Go to the Asheboro Zoo web site, and look under free stuff and educator resources. Here's a list of activities: http://www.nczoo.org/education/Educa...Activities.pdf

And you're right, it can happen to anybody.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,667 times
I am not sure where you are, but the Museum of Life and Science has (in the past) had free Fridays for Durham County residents.

Ohhhh something I just remembered.... many movie theaters have "kids days". When I worked at a summer camp, we went every week... it costs like 2.00 a movie or something like that.... you have to buy a "summer pass" to get the deal.... and the movies are not new releases.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 AM

This museum in Raleigh is fun for 8-year-olds and is free. You'd have to only pay for parking:

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
11 W. Jones St.
Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: (919) 733-7450
Main website link: http://naturalsciences.org/

Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM

305 posts, read 767,965 times
No kudzu, I've got a 9 yr old and a 6 yr old. I'm not a huge fan of summer camps anyway! We've done a few, but it's fun to just have lazy unstructured days—go to the pool, make homemade ice cream, do science experiments with household substances (ever heard of "elephant toothpaste"?), play outside, stargaze at Jordan Lake, make your own bubble solution and bubble wands, go to the Saxapahaw Farmer's Mkt (a free music festival every Saturday with great kids activities), go swimming in the Eno, play with friends. We have a great time and don't do much camp at all.

Sorry about the job situation and hope it turns around soon. Hope you can make the best of the summer!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 PM

This may be the best summer ever for your family.

Really!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
lovebrentwood-have to wait to rep you but thanks to you and others for encouraging suggestions. We will make it but it will be tight. But it could be so much worse I realize.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Another idea that I wish I had when my kids were younger, when it was sometimes a challenge to keep them busy...

I was a Girl Scout, and I always thought the "badges" were a great idea. It was always fun to learn new things.

My kids were busy with other things, and so I never had them join scouts.

However -- one thing you could do is to go to Amazon.com or Half.com and buy a Brownie (or Cub Scout) handbook that lists the badge requirements in each. (You can get used books pretty inexpensively.)

You can pick out the badges that seem to be most fun and have your kids complete them.

Maybe you can then make up a "certificate" for them on your computer (Google "certificate" and "template") for each badge they complete, and they can post them in their bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary