Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:53 AM

21 posts, read 60,198 times

Advertisements

WOW....thanks so much to all of you who responded!! What a wonderful plethora of information!! I'm SO glad that I found this group! Enjoy the sunshine!!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM

100 posts, read 294,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel.girl6 View Post
My husband has suffered for years with pain in his left hip. He went to see an Ortho who told him that almost all the cartilage in his hip is practically gone. But, he was told the only treatment until age 50 would be a cortisone shot which may or may not work. So, he had the shot and he had some relief for maybe 6 weeks but now, the pain is worse than ever. We have a 2 year old and my husband is so depressed that he cannot run and jump and play with our son! I just hate to see him suffer!

Has anyone had experience with this issue who'd be willing to share? This particular Ortho told my husband that surgery was NOT an option until age 50 because it only lasts for 10 years. Other friends have told us that is not correct and he could successfully have the surgery now.

Any advice would be really appreciated! And, if anyone has a doctor recommendation, that would be helpful, too.
IMO, if your husband waits 10 years for hip attention, other joints will be affected + the loss in quality of life. Secondly they are not going to give your husband cortisone shots on a PRN basis for 10 years.

Get over to Duke and get a couple of opinions.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 AM

53 posts, read 128,994 times
Don't forget that Duke Orthopaedics is in Raleigh as well

Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM

All good points, nipsip! And, thanks husbandofraleighwife for the reminder about Duke Ortho in Raleigh!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,907,842 times
My neighbor just had her hip totally replaced at age 40...after having congenital hip dysplasia since birth. She is extremely happy with her doctor and decision and is now recovering. I will get the name of the doc and post back.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,907,842 times
Dr. Scott Kelley , durham office , NC ortho clinic.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much! We'll check him out.....

Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 PM

2,118 posts, read 4,158,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
A hip replacement at the age of 40 is a LAST resort. First of all, the hip is a "ball and socket" joint. Each time the surgery is performed, the acetabulum (socket) is literally reamed out to make a smooth surface for the new cup. Then the femoral head (ball) is actually removed and the center of the femur is then reamed to make an opening for the prosthesis. I mention these graphic details only to explain that with each surgery there is bone loss. If a hip is replaced 2-3 more times after the initial procedure, there is increased risk of fracture, leg length discrepancy etc etc. (I'm an NP and used to do orthopedics - I assisted in hundreds of hip replacements).
I agree with everything you said!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
Thumbs up Fyi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel.girl6 View Post
My husband has suffered for years with pain in his left hip. He went to see an Ortho who told him that almost all the cartilage in his hip is practically gone. But, he was told the only treatment until age 50 would be a cortisone shot which may or may not work. So, he had the shot and he had some relief for maybe 6 weeks but now, the pain is worse than ever. We have a 2 year old and my husband is so depressed that he cannot run and jump and play with our son! I just hate to see him suffer!

Has anyone had experience with this issue who'd be willing to share? This particular Ortho told my husband that surgery was NOT an option until age 50 because it only lasts for 10 years. Other friends have told us that is not correct and he could successfully have the surgery now.

Any advice would be really appreciated! And, if anyone has a doctor recommendation, that would be helpful, too.
Hello,I want to tell you my story..I was in a horrible motorcycle accident at thr age of 18..I lost my 16 yr. old brother in the accident..I indured many injuries..my right leg was broken in 6 places and shattered my hip..I have 6 screws in hip and 4 plates in leg..I was told by my ortho.that by the age of (40)...I would need hip replacement..well, Im 44..I was sched. to have surg. last yr.unfortunatly had sinus infection..and was canceled..please,stay positive..the best surgeon in the state is Dr.Phillip Clifford..@Triangle Orthopaedic Assoc...in Durham NC. look him up and form your own opinion..I WILL NOT TRUST ANYONE ELSE..and you will se why..Wish you all the best...Blessings..Carley..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary