Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Raleigh WOULD have more tall buildings had RTP not been created. Most big-city regions do not have a huge research office park with 170 research and development organizations on 7,000 acres.

So that may be one reason Triangle cities don't "feel" like big cities; many companies are not in downtown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,188 times
So do you guys think Raleigh wouldn't have much to offer a single girl in her mid 20's? I'm planning on moving there in September and I'm 25. I live in Pittsburgh now and I don't really like it. I don't live downtown and I hate driving downtown. Too much traffic and way too much confusion and its difficult to navigate. I like going to the smaller bars in smaller towns such as Bloomfield, Shadyside, etc. Its fun to go to Southside or Station square every once in a while but I hate that there is never anywhere to park and its always way too crowded.

However, I don't want to be bored and have nothing to do. I want to be able to go out and meet new people. Are there areas in Raleigh that are geared mroe towards the single crowde of people in their 20's and early 30's. I don't want to live in elderly community where I never see my neighbors. I want to meet new people and find new friends...

Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,414,204 times
RDU has very young, well-educated demographics, but for whatever reason, it still is not the most exciting, cosmopolitan place to live. Although there is no shortage of progressives and liberals there, the predominant lifestyle there is rather sedate, unexciting. People in RDU just tend to like a more suburban, quiet life than their big city peers. The lack of a subway or light rail system is a real detriment to those who want to live a truly urban place with urban amenities and a cosmopolitan vibe. If you like that type of quiet life, RDU is good for you, but if you like an exciting big city life, DC might satisfy you more.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
I'm currently in grad school at NCSU and I think Raleigh has enough to keep me entertained in what little free time I have. I can't speak for the chemE grad students but certain departments have graduate groups that are more social than others so that can help. For instance I've gotten the impression that the MBA and English graduate student groups do a lot of social activities.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM

334 posts, read 625,636 times
much much much much x100...better! LOL

Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM

238 posts, read 668,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
So do you guys think Raleigh wouldn't have much to offer a single girl in her mid 20's? I'm planning on moving there in September and I'm 25. I live in Pittsburgh now and I don't really like it. I don't live downtown and I hate driving downtown. Too much traffic and way too much confusion and its difficult to navigate. I like going to the smaller bars in smaller towns such as Bloomfield, Shadyside, etc. Its fun to go to Southside or Station square every once in a while but I hate that there is never anywhere to park and its always way too crowded.

However, I don't want to be bored and have nothing to do. I want to be able to go out and meet new people. Are there areas in Raleigh that are geared mroe towards the single crowde of people in their 20's and early 30's. I don't want to live in elderly community where I never see my neighbors. I want to meet new people and find new friends...
I moved here a couple years ago from Pittsburgh. Check out the Glenwood South area, it may be a good fit for you.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
This is just a suggestion -- may or may not work -- but you might want to take a look at Meetup. Find your interest and see who matches them. You could also see where people are going out to meet and see what they're doing.

You could also start a Meetup group of your own when/if you get here.

Some Meetup groups look like they have a lot of members, but they don't. (I guess people sign up and don't show up.) But a lot of people have met a lot of people and had a lot of fun. There are so many newcomers, so there are a lot of people in the same boat.

Quote:

Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
how does the Raleigh area compare to larger cities such as Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, and Pittsburgh?

Smaller with a lot better college hoops.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
So do you guys think Raleigh wouldn't have much to offer a single girl in her mid 20's? I'm planning on moving there in September and I'm 25. I live in Pittsburgh now and I don't really like it.
Where will you be working? That will make a difference as to what "young" area you will want to consider living in. Consider Durham and Chapel Hill, besides Raleigh, though you probably wouldn't want Cary, which is very suburban and would bore a single person to death. Not much danger of being surrounded by old people, as you'd have to specifically hunt out those kinds of areas.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 AM

32 posts, read 189,013 times
Quote:

Like other posters have mentioned, you won't be surrounded by an elderly community by any means. There are plenty of singles in their 20s (and 30s and 40s, etc) here.

You will not find an issue with traffic or parking downtown here. The main 'scene' is Glenwood South, as another poster mentioned and since you don't like to do a lot of driving that might be a good area to consider living - and I suspect there are lots of singles in their 20s who have chosen to live in that area simply because it's closest to where most nightlife exists. Some of the bars/clubs can get rather crowded, but not all the time and there are some lower-key places as well.

If you like going to smaller bars, you might like the various places in North Raleigh - they are kind of spread out as opposed to a street with many bars like Glenwood South. Some N. Raleigh bars to check out would be Pipers Tavern, Leesville Taproom, Falls Taproom, Duffy's, Oliver Twist.. Whole different feel than downtown.

Hope that helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary