Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone out there has gotten an XM radio installation done? Was looking at Best Buy tonight and the prices aren't bad. Looking to get one installed after fusing non-stop for a year with one of the XM portables that you plug into the cigarette lighter. What a piece of junk! Would love to know where to go that does great work and fair prices. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
you'll get mixed reviews on Best Buy, but it really boils down to the guy/gal doing the install. i've had several car stereos installed by Best Buy / Circuit City-type places with no ill effects, but I've certainly heard of of the horror stories from others.

depending on what exactly you want, the kind of car you have, and how motivated you are, adding something like satellite radio really isn't too difficult of a DIY job. do you have a stereo installed that is satellite ready, or will you need to install a stand-alone unit?

Mike

Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 26,992 times
I had a JVC headunit and sirius-in-dash tuner installed in my truck by 919 motoring in Raleigh. It was a great experience...installed quickly, looks greats, and it was affordable. I believe the owner is Shawn. I highly recommend them.

www.919motoring.com

Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
I had an XM Commander custom installed in my car by Radio-Active in Garner. Not sure if they are still open. This was 2 years ago.

XM Commander Car Stereo

They put the antenna on the trunk lid (I did not want it on the dash, and my car does not have a metal roof), the "brain" of the unit under my steering column so that I can easily remove the microchip, and they put the display unit in the ash tray, so that I can close the hinged lid and hide it.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzir13 View Post
I had a JVC headunit and sirius-in-dash tuner installed in my truck by 919 motoring in Raleigh. It was a great experience...installed quickly, looks greats, and it was affordable. I believe the owner is Shawn. I highly recommend them.

www.919motoring.com
About how much did it cost?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Really appreciate all your responses!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
if you can use basic hand tools it is not difficult to do yourself. Most after market radios have adapters you can buy to plug into your cars factory harness.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 27,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
if you can use basic hand tools it is not difficult to do yourself. Most after market radios have adapters you can buy to plug into your cars factory harness.
Yeah, either that or they are FM modulated depending on the kit. Anyone with a kitchen drawer full of tools outta be able to handle running an antenna and grabbing some power/ground for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary