U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,231,909 times

Advertisements

Thanks Heather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 AM

At the last minute we decided to delay our trip. My oldest daughter is getting out of school soon. It's a 12 hour drive. It will probably be easier to drive down and make a family trip. We'll get to see more and not have to worry about rushing back. For now I'm going to keep reading posts. hopefully when we get there everything will sound "familiar"

Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 AM

770 posts, read 2,649,066 times
I just posted from my trip down there. I also posted some pics and descriptions of what I thought on some of the neighborhoods. If you would like I can make a list and send you the directions I used for all of them. also there is a great website that I go to...will post it when I get back from playgroup....

Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC? View Post
At the last minute we decided to delay our trip. My oldest daughter is getting out of school soon. It's a 12 hour drive. It will probably be easier to drive down and make a family trip. We'll get to see more and not have to worry about rushing back. For now I'm going to keep reading posts. hopefully when we get there everything will sound "familiar"
I also know a great way to avoid Baltimore and DC all together! And you can stop at the Potomac River, there is a small beach, it is about 4 hours from Raleigh and the kids can check out all the shells and such that washed up on the beach. It is free and right on the way. It was a good leg stretcher for us.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks so much. I saw the pics and the descriptions you posted. This forum is wonderful. When we finally make the trip we will save so much time with the research and info we have gotten from this forum! I'm a little jealous that MD is that much closer to NC.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,155,088 times
We're considering the same move: MA to NC. I just posted a thread because I have teenagers and had questions. Best of luck to you! We're looking at Cary, NC for schools and to try to duplicate some of the amenities where we live now. We think we'll rent first to get a feel for the area, then buy. Housing costs in NC are so affordable compared to MA.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Web..are you going to send your children to private schools? Remember just because you live in Cary does not mean your children will go there. And just because your child is assigned to a certain school one year does not mean it will be the next. Wake County School system is really messed up right now, so be very careful as too where you move and what you decide if schools are important to you. Do your research!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:12 PM

Hello MAtoNC. I'm also in MA and we're on the verge here of a possible decision. It's been in the works for a year or more---just need everything to come together. I've turned down two offers (it has to be the RIGHT job) and am flying down next Thursday for an in person interview with company #3 and this time, it feels right. They also have a full relo package. The other two wanted to nickel and dime me to death.

I wish I could say I was excited. Though I love my little town here in suburban Boston, I could leave tomorrow and not miss many of the people here. I'm here for the kids--it's a great place to grow up and the schools are excellent. However, it's also pretty affluent (wish we were....) and cliquey. I have friends but nobody who I'd consider a very close friend.

My kids are a different story. With my oldest finishing 10th grade, I feel soooo guilty about this! I'm really having a problem with it. I'm also concerned about the schools. We're focused on Cary NC because the schools there seem to be pretty good, but the high school we're looking at (Green Hope) is more than twice the size of our local high school! My oldest has been in the local school system here (one elementary, one middle, one HS) since first grade so he knows everyone. Husband hates it here and is ready to leave but I don't think he's thinking about the kids at all---or the fact that he could find himself unemployed, yet again, while I'm working full time and if he can't find a job quickly, it could get tough for him.

Good luck with your move. I'm staying over a day or two after my interview to visit with friends and to see more of the area. The last two trips in there were pretty quick: interview, quick ride through some neighborhoods and sub-divisions, then a flight home.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Web..are you going to send your children to private schools? Remember just because you live in Cary does not mean your children will go there. And just because your child is assigned to a certain school one year does not mean it will be the next. Wake County School system is really messed up right now, so be very careful as too where you move and what you decide if schools are important to you. Do your research!
You bring up great points. And we've thought about them many, many times. I read everything I can about WCPSS and I don't like a lot of what I read! The flak over year-round schools, the redistricting, etc. Even if the schools that we're zoned to are traditional, some of the kids who turned down year-round are getting reassigned and now overcrowding the traditional schools (Davis Dr middle school for one). So yes, I've thought about private school. But one of the main reasons for this move is cost-of-living. My husband was out of work for a long time, then had a business that failed. I had to go back to work full time last year but wound up taking a job that would give me some flexibility and is not in my field and I sacrificed income for that. We decimated our retirement fund and had to sell our house. So we're thinking that if we can both work, we can try to rebuild some of what we lost. If the kids go to private schools (I have 3 of them), that will take up a lot of the money we're saving on housing. Of course, if the public schools aren't cutting it for them, then we'll search out Catholic (are there any?) or private schools. One of my friends who moved down there a few years ago from MA put her oldest in private school (he was also going into 11th grade) but put her other kids in public. She also moved from an affluent town in MA with a stellar school system and she's happy so far with the schools down there.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 3,457,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
You bring up great points. And we've thought about them many, many times. I read everything I can about WCPSS and I don't like a lot of what I read! The flak over year-round schools, the redistricting, etc. Even if the schools that we're zoned to are traditional, some of the kids who turned down year-round are getting reassigned and now overcrowding the traditional schools (Davis Dr middle school for one). So yes, I've thought about private school. But one of the main reasons for this move is cost-of-living. My husband was out of work for a long time, then had a business that failed. I had to go back to work full time last year but wound up taking a job that would give me some flexibility and is not in my field and I sacrificed income for that. We decimated our retirement fund and had to sell our house. So we're thinking that if we can both work, we can try to rebuild some of what we lost. If the kids go to private schools (I have 3 of them), that will take up a lot of the money we're saving on housing. Of course, if the public schools aren't cutting it for them, then we'll search out Catholic (are there any?) or private schools. One of my friends who moved down there a few years ago from MA put her oldest in private school (he was also going into 11th grade) but put her other kids in public. She also moved from an affluent town in MA with a stellar school system and she's happy so far with the schools down there.
I think it's important to remember that Wake's school performance is among the *best* out of any large public school districts in the nation.

Part of this is due to their socioeconomic diversity and F&R policy... which is designed to ensure that every single child has an equal access to an education, since studies show again and again that SES diversity in schools doesn't help or hurt students from upscale backgrounds, but is necessary for many students from poorer backgrounds to succeed.

I think, frankly, some of the tumult comes from folks who move to Wake County because of its great schools, but who don't like seeing "how the sausage is made" once they're here.

Going back to neighborhood schools would, in all likelihood, make Wake's schools look much more like Durham's, with 'great' school districts (and neighborhoods) and those that 'should be avoided,' which disproportionately hurts/helps your property value depending on where you are -- and more importantly, takes constitutionally-guaranteed equal access to education away from a large segment of the population.

Coming from Mass. myself a few years ago, one thing I always hated about the Bay State were the highly restrictive zoning/land use policies that effectively kept affordable housing from moving into many of the 128/495-belt communities. Wake's school system has overcome the dichotomy of rich v. poor, success v. failure that so many parts of the country, including Boston, constantly face.

Off my soapbox now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary