Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,288 times

Advertisements

Hey all...N. Raleigh gal needs some help. I have family driving through next weekend (they're going from DC to Charlotte) and I want to meet them for lunch along 85 in Durham (early 30's with 2 kids age 5 & infant). I'm not too familiar with that area and need some ideas for restaurants. I've found the following via internet search but know there's some locals on here that can give me some advice. What I've seen so far are:

[SIZE=3]Cracker Barrell - [/SIZE][SIZE=3]3703 Hillsborough Rd.[/SIZE]
Texas Roadhouse - 1809 North Pointe Dr.
Rudino's Pizza & grinders - 1515 N Pointe Dr
Tripps - 918 W. Club Blvd
Ruby Tuesday - 1058 W Club Blvd
Bullock's BBQ - 3330 Quebec Dr
Hog Heaven BBQ - 2419 Guess Rd

Any thoughts on the list above? Ideally I'd like to give them some local, non-chain options. I'm also not sure if any of the places above are now closed or best to avoid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,321 times
I would go into downtown Durham if it was me, it is only probably 2-3 miles at a max to get to a lot of great local places. If you are willing go there, most of us in Durham can probably give plenty of suggestions. I live close to 85, but there are not many great places IMO over that way.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Bullock's is supposedly fantastic (I haven't been yet) and the vice president just stopped there last week on his trip to Durham - that would be my first choice...I've been to Hog Heaven and that's a solid second choice. Great fried chicken.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 AM

176 posts, read 645,318 times
Bullocks BBQ is a great choice.

If you like Mexican, you could go to Los Comales (Roxboro Rd. exit). It's not in the best area, but I go there frequently, even at night, and have never had any problems. Very authentic.

Bennett Pointe Grill is another solid option. You'd probably want to take the Cole Mill Rd. exit off I-85 and head west on Hillsborough Rd.

Most of the other places you've mentioned are chains.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,288 times
I would've brought them down to the Tobacco district but my concern is that there's a baseball game there at 2p on the day we want to meet and I don't want to have to deal with that crowd or make them pay to park to eat lunch!

Regarding Bennet Point, best I can tell from the website they're not open for lunch on Saturday's. Looked like a great choice!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,478 times
If you really do want to stay close to I-85 and want some local flavor, I agree that Bullocks or Hog Heaven are good choices. All the others on your list are chains. I actually prefer the food at Hog Heaven (I too like the fried chicken) over Bullocks, but Bullocks is a Durham institution and may be worth a trip based on that. Beware that Bullocks only takes CASH!!!!

Bennett Point Grille is indeed another decent choice as referenced above. It's a non-chain with that local joint feel about it. Their menu is online so you can see if it fits the bill. I enjoy their shrimp and grits.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
I actually prefer the food at Hog Heaven (I too like the fried chicken) over Bullocks, but Bullocks is a Durham institution and may be worth a trip based on that.
I too prefer Hog Heaven. But I'm not sure if they are open on Sundays .... so depending on what day your family is coming through you might want to call.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 AM

176 posts, read 645,318 times
Oh, definitely best to avoid the Tobacco campus if it's game day.

Sorry Bennett Pointe isn't open on Saturdays.

If you don't mind venturing a bit off I-85, then you could hit something on 9th Street/Broad. I'd *highly* recommend Watt's Grocery. Fresh ingredients, locally grown and seasonal. Elmo's on 9th St. would be another great option.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,959,853 times
Lots of good options in Brightleaf (old tobacco warehouse converted into stores). Federal (gourmet bar food), Satisfaction (Pizza) are both great, Fishmongers (calabashy seafood) is OK, all very good for kids. A couple of chain mexican places (Torreros and El Rodeo). Parker and Otis is a decent sandwhich shop. Alivia's has OK food, little pricey, great outdoor seating. Probably a half dozen other restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Nice place to walk around. Downside for Sats and Federal is that they might be crazy if Duke is playing in the NCAAs when you'd be eating lunch. Otherwise, very good places to go with kids (lots of space, potential outdoor seating). About 5 min from highway, get off on Gregson, head south about a mile. Lots of parking.

Ninth street is just a bit further (get off on Gregson, turn right onto Club, go about a little over a mile to ninth and head south on ninth another half mile or so). Elmo's is a very kid friendly place (diner), and Blue Corn Cafe is also very kid friendly (a local Southwestern/Mex type place, unique food). Downside for Elmos is it will likely be crowded until 1 pm on Saturday, and probably later than that on Sunday. Blue Corn probably would be the best bet for garaunteed relaxing lunch (there's a place for the kids to play there), and it is typically not crowded. Not sure if it is open on sundays, so check with them if thats when you are going to go. Probably a dozen more options along 9th, also not a bad place to stretch legs.

Also, within a couple minute drive from either 9th or brightleaf, there's a small park on the corner of Trinity and Watts that the kids can blow off some steam after lunch. To get there head east on main from 9th, west on main from brightleaf, and turn onto buchanon (going north), then right onto trinity.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
If you can meet them a bit further along on I-85, and if a kid-friendly place is what you seek, the Blue Ribbon Diner in Mebane might be a fun place to meet. It's right off I-85/I-40 exit 154.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary