Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Wake County, N.C., May End Busing for Economic Diversity - NYTimes.com
Don’t believe the hype, they warned. Many were considering private schools. All pointed to an unusual desegregation policy, begun in 2000, in which some children from wealthy neighborhoods were bused to schools in poorer areas, and vice versa, to create economically diverse classrooms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/25/ed...eigh.html?_r=1
Since 2000, school officials have used income as a prime factor in assigning students to schools, with the goal of limiting the proportion of low-income students in any school to no more than 40 percent.

And the student assignment policy
WCPSS: Board Policy - Student Assignment (6200)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Excellent post! I do think this is one, if not the, best explanation yet.

I think the systems merged in 75 or 76? I came here in 74. Raleigh was a small place. So small that my travel agent in the UK couldn't find it on a map to determine which airport I should fly into.

I was stunned it was called a city as it took 10 to 20 mins to get anywhere from one side of town to the other. There were no traffic jams by city standards. Falls of the Neuse Rd, Newton Rd was outside the city limits, this is worth bearing in mind the small city geo area that was Raleigh proper.

I not only fell in love with the kind people here but also the uncitified feeling Raleigh had.
Not a city like New York but a bigger city than Greensboro or Salisbury. Where did you come from in 1974.

Last edited by TuborgP; 03-30-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM

List of municipalities in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at all of the cities in New Jersey that Raleigh in 1975 was larger than today. They all have their own school districts as do many of the municipalities. Some municipalities have merged to for joint school districts. Why would Margiotti not be scratching his head. Raleigh in 1975 was bigger than most cities.
List of municipalities in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.raleighnc.gov/publication...Since_1800.pdf

Raleigh in 1975 would be the 4th largest local government in New Jersey today. That is with a population of 136K plus. Now the physical size of the city has expanded considerably since then. The actual census size of the city in 1980 was 150K plus. Depending on where you came from and the landscape of where you came from it might have been larger or smaller than what you were use to. However when compared to all the cities governments in NJ it was bigger. By 1980 numbers Raleigh would be the third largest in congested NJ. By 1999 Raleigh is the largest city in NJ today. What's a transplant to think? Look at the Jersey list of 52 cities all smaller than Raleigh and how many are incorporated into the county school system? Ooops there aren't any county school systems.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Interesting state by state stats - thanks for sharing!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
the massive redistricting that Wake County has faced repeatedly due the the rapid growth. The newer residents attributed this redistricting to the diversity policy which had existed for years without being a problem and prescribed an end to the diversity policy. Wake County has been opening 3-6 new schools a year for the last few years and that is always going to lead to redistricting.
And there you have it. Right on the mark.

Neighborhood schools are not going to end re-assignments. With 20 children born in Wake County everyday, we will be building new schools on a regular basis for years to come.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Not a city like New York but a bigger city than Greensboro or Salisbury. Where did you come from in 1974.
A little village of maybe 1,000 people in Hampshire, UK. Before that an island of 50,000 (572 sq km) and before that a city of 1.5M in '74, and now 2.6M ppl, (1,285km).

Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I'm grumpy about the US News rankings. Notice how many of those schools are magnets and therefore limit enrollment in some way. (Do all magnets use a lottery? I don't think so) Thomas Jefferson in Fairfax Co. is extremely difficult to get into, and certainly doesn't have a student body representative of the 'neighborhood' it is in. Yes, they are very good schools.

But would a more accurate test of true school quality be reflected in how well a school serves students at all levels of potential and achievement? Not just the elite? What about the 'average' American? I want good schools for ALL students, not just those capable of doing college level work in HS.

I think we are getting closer to being able to truly rank schools nationally, but IMHO US News is a poor instrument.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I'm grumpy about the US News rankings. Notice how many of those schools are magnets and therefore limit enrollment in some way. (Do all magnets use a lottery? I don't think so) Thomas Jefferson in Fairfax Co. is extremely difficult to get into, and certainly doesn't have a student body representative of the 'neighborhood' it is in. Yes, they are very good schools.

But would a more accurate test of true school quality be reflected in how well a school serves students at all levels of potential and achievement? Not just the elite? What about the 'average' American? I want good schools for ALL students, not just those capable of doing college level work in HS.

I think we are getting closer to being able to truly rank schools nationally, but IMHO US News is a poor instrument.
You are known by your high schools and high schools with great reps reflect well on the school system.

This is another sort from the same report with schools ranked that serve economically depressed populations.
America's Best High Schools: Top Economically Disadvantaged Schools - US News and World Report

Will the new board allow the creation of specialty high schools with high concentrations of FARM students? Will that be a no no?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Will the new board allow the creation of specialty high schools with high concentrations of FARM students? Will that be a no no?
FARM - ? Free and Reduced Mortgage Students?? Sorry, couldn't resist, what is this?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Tuborg, you are getting to the meat of the issue.

Raleigh - I don't have any data reflecting Tedesco and Margiotta turning schools around etc.. in NJ. Just because they are from NJ does not mean that they have all of the answers or are any better equiped to turn around schools in Wake. What they may do, though, is take what they learned from the most successful NJ schools and try to apply it here. The same should be done for those schools in ED areas....find similar communities that faced the same problems and successfully turned things around. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Quote:
My friend food for you to ponder. Look at the list of top high schools and compare number 3 New Jersey with number 19 North Carolina. If Wake were broken into smaller local schools would there be more outstanding high schools if talented students because of Socio Economic support could more easily cluster together with their wealthy parents proving the family and financial push? Would talented students now attending private school return to their neighborhood public schools thus upping the talented student pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary