Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 44,689 times

Advertisements

Actually, if you have been following this story in the slightest, you will find that the vast majority of parents who returned this school boards survey were happy with their school and their school calendar. This board had ignored those results to cater to their political agenda. It has absolutley nothing to do with what is truly best for the children of Wake County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,055 times
Nothing that the old board did was for the good of all children in Wake County either. Perception was always reality to them whether it was true or not.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,082,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You and Mr Tedesco have something in common. He doesn't either.
I couldn't give you more rep points (gotta spread the love), but my thoughts exactly.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,860,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Does you own a house? 'Cause this is going to have a dramatic effect on local property values.

I just moved to an area with community schools. The effect on relative land values is truly amazing.
Excellent point and it will be interesting on how this will impact property values over the coming 6 months - it will be interesting to hear the Realtors on this board opinions.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 AM

621 posts, read 2,215,284 times
Didn't these newly elected board members run on the basis that they will change to community schools? I may be mistaken, but that sounds like the system has succeeded--you can only be heard with your votes.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM

167 posts, read 566,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
I will not be affected, based on where I live. Regardless of that, house values usually go up when neighborhood schools are in play in areas where people have a choice of living.
Especially those houses near bad schools, right?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times
Also interested to hear a knowledgeable persons perspective on home values, as well as advice on what data we can evaluate to determine whether or not our own values will be affected.

Personally, I grew up with community schools, and I dont think it should be any other way. Something odd about not going to school with all of the neighborhood kids you grow up with.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Also interested to hear a knowledgeable persons perspective on home values, as well as advice on what data we can evaluate to determine whether or not our own values will be affected.
It all depends on whether our neighborhoods are assigned to "good" schools or not - something we won't know for quite a while.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times
Oh...I see. So its not just "this high school is 100ft from your doorstep so you should go there"?

Assuming COMMUNITY schools means the closest school to your community....your kids go to.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,431,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Consequences of our "melting pot" society. The way I personally view it, it was forced busing, which brought deadly consequences in Boston for years when I was a kid. The cost of buses, fuel, upkeep, drivers, insurance, potential for tragic accidents, isolation from neighborhood, decreased parental involvement (distance), inability for students to participate in extra-curricular activities, the list goes on.

We can satisfy the perceived and real inequities by using parity in funding and providing staff, faculty and administration that is harmonious across economic strata. Trading buses for teachers.
Trading buses for teachers. Trading buses for better programs. Trading buses for that allotment of time to spend on studies, tutoring, extra-curricular activities. I still question what exactly children learn from riding on a bus to and from school, and contend the money could be better spent, if indeed it will be spent.

One of my concerns is that this is the School Board's way to deal with cuts in spending, and there will be no money from the reduced busing to spend in the socio-economically disadvantaged schools, and that is exactly where the money needs to go. NOT into BS programs, but proven programs that the schools and the students buy into -- there are slick salesmen in any walk of life who can sell what appears to be a good program, but like anything, it has to address the needs of the school, and the kids must buy into it, see the value of participating, and want to participate and better themselves. Not all programs are best for all schools, and it may not even be an academic program that will bolster a child's overall performance. Some children are not motivated, for whatever reasons, by the notion that a good education will improve their lives. Educators may have to go about the school's needs through the back door, so to speak.

As for the schools in a poorer community being a poorer school, I wish someone could truly explain that for me. Why is that true is some cases? I would think a community, with a vested interest in its school, would pour every resource they had -- time, volunteers -- into the school. There are many things that a community can do to support a school that cost the parents and other volunteers very little, aside from their time. Where is that sense of pride, or sense of belonging? This is mine, and I will make it the best it can be? Aptitude, sense of pride, drive to do better, be more -- if not the best -- are those things tied to what's in an individual's bank account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary