Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times

Advertisements

I did it for 2 years and looooved it. Unfortunately I have horrible reception in my Durham apartment - I can hear everyone, they can't hear me. Had to get a landline. I have Verizon and updated the towers (thanks BCR for that tip) but it didn't help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kiddos4me View Post
Hi guys~

I'm wondering if anyone is using only cell phones, not having a land line in the home? How is it working? Do you find it more convenient or more of a hassle? I'm thinking of doing this when I get to Raliegh...in 3 LONG weeks! I'm looking for any advice, before I go ahead and get the family share plan. Trying to save $$$~

Thanks!
We've been land line free for over two years now. No regrets at all....even with my young teen daughter.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
I considered no landline but I'm not sure how it would work with a six year old child. It seems like we would need three cell phones: one for mom, one for dad, and one for the child in case she is home with a baby sitter. Is that how people work it?

Thanks,
Alice
This is a good idea. But every babysitter I've ever hired has had her own phone and usually it's much more tricked out than my cell. But I wouldn't want to ask her to use her minutes so I'd probably just leave my cell with her and show her how to use the ancient elephant technology that is more than a year old.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
This is a good idea. But every babysitter I've ever hired has had her own phone and usually it's much more tricked out than my cell. But I wouldn't want to ask her to use her minutes so I'd probably just leave my cell with her and show her how to use the ancient elephant technology that is more than a year old.
Some families I know have a home cell phone....or just always make sure that there is one left at the house.

Then again, kids get cell phone quite young any more...so in a few years at most they'd have their own anyway.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kiddos4me View Post
THANKS for all the responses. I do have kids, and 4 of them at that (although 2 are too young for phones, thank GOD!) One of the reasons I want to do this is because i'm currently paying $50/mo for my oldest (16) to have her cell, my next one is almost 12, going to a new MS, and being new to the area, I want to be able to get her/her get me AT ANY TIME! If I'm out, she's away, etc... and it's really only going to cost $30/mo. more, that's having 3 phones (hubby will get one too)..I have one through my work, so I don't pay for that anyway. It makes sense. I will have to check that it's usable in all of the house. I did use it already there, when we were doing our closing, so i know it works, just not sure if it does in all of the house....I think it makes sense, even tho it feels weird to NOT have a landline. It's worth a try I guess! ALso, we all can talk to each other for free w/IN calling.

Thanks again for all your opinions!!! Great points!
We don't have a landline, but have a broadband phone. The nice thing for us we do not pay for long distance ( I think our bill is 19.95 a month), and we do still have 911 access. We also were able to keep our same phone number when we moved from apex to wake forest.

Leigh

Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
We don't have a landline, but have a broadband phone. The nice thing for us we do not pay for long distance ( I think our bill is 19.95 a month), and we do still have 911 access.
Who provides your broadband phone service Leighbhe? I've seen commercials for Time Warner where they offer cable TV, broadband internet, and phone service for "$29.99 each", but when you look at their website this offer can't be found, and when you call them they hem and haw about the actual price and features.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:29 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Yeah Leigh, spill the beans on your provider. I was considering Vonage but with their legal issues and costly disconnect fees I was turned off quickly. TimeWarner's offerings are as costly as the unlimited local/long distance from BellSouth so I don't see the benefit there other than seeing who's calling you on the TV (assuming you have their cable TV service, too).

Again, with VoIP you have issues with faxing, dialup internet (which I use as a backup during broadband issues), alarm systems, DirecTV DVRs, and anything else that's based on analog phone lines.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
Thanks for the answers to the babysitter question.

I just order cable Internet with Earthlink (Time Warner is the cable provider but it is a bit cheaper through Earthlink.) I considered getting their broadband phone service but the reviews online for it were generally poor.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM

27 posts, read 189,903 times
My family uses cell phones only. We have the $7 Vonage plan at the house in case anyone has an emergency at the house. But we never use that phone. I live in Cary and our cell phone reception is great.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I say go for the cheapest landline too just to have service. That's what we do now. Also, my youngest (only 7) doesn't have a cell phone for obvious reason, yet she does get on the landline and call friends.

Be sure to register your cell phones on the national DO NOT CALL registry. Mobile numbers were just released about a month ago to telemarketers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary