U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,457,580 times

Advertisements

It is easy for crooks to access your garage. They push the top of the door in slightly (enough to slip a thin hook through) and pull the red cord to disengage the opener. They then lift the door, close it and can work on opening the door to the house without anyone seeing them. I'd recommend always locking the door to the garage. You can put one of those combination lockboxes in the garage and if you must, write the code down on something in the garage so you don't forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,021 times
Wonder how much a locksmith would have charged? I like the idea of a keypad thing - that would make great housewarming gifts.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 AM

185 posts, read 678,947 times
cat sitter broke in - lol

When we go away from home for more than a weekend, we tell the neighbors that we'll be gone, but that we'll have cat sitters there. We also give the neighbors our vacation plans and an extra key. They know our petsitters and keep an eye out for other people. Plus if there's an emergency there's someone we trust that can access the house.

If a petsitter got locked out, I'd expect them to call me before doing anything ratical like taking an ax to my door. But then our sitters call us and say, leo's not eating well today, or we're missing a cat did you bring one with you? (then they usually discover that the "lost" cat is behind the tv or under the computer hiding).

Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 AM

850 posts, read 2,231,820 times
lol..funny stories!

We haven't hid a key yet but plan to (our neighbors have one though). We also unlocked the doorknob on all our doors (and just use the bolt) as I'd lock myself out in a NY minute.

But one thing that concerned me was one day recently, I'm standing in the kitchen (alone..dh at work) and my garage door suddenly all by its lonesone SHUT! I don't know if it was a freak thing. They happened to be installing a new garage door across the street so I wasn't sure what the deal was but
NOW I bring a key with me as many times the garage door is the only unlocked way into the house. At least until we hide a key.

Lauren

Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 AM

10,282 posts, read 10,648,221 times
I like some of the ideas here. In fact, I like a lot of these ideas. Thanks to all.
I do keep a key hidden in a very unlikely place, and had to use it once already. I walked out the door on my deck and the dog pushed the door shut behind me!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM

560 posts, read 1,941,221 times
Just so everyone knows, Lowe's will re-key a lock for you if you have to replace one and want it to work with the same key the rest of your locks work with. Takes them a few hours and they charge you $5 over the cost of the lock.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM

185 posts, read 678,947 times
it was probably the neighbor's garage door openner. I've poped open other people's trunks in their cars trying to open mine before. electronics can have unexpected results and open more than they should.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 AM

560 posts, read 1,941,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
it was probably the neighbor's garage door openner. I've poped open other people's trunks in their cars trying to open mine before. electronics can have unexpected results and open more than they should.
Here's a little bit of explanation on which is actually "expected" regarding key fobs from an Engineer's perspective. . .

The transmitters in your car/garage key fobs send a code to the receiver inside your car/garage. This code is of a certain length and the number of combinations that are possible is limited. So . . . every once and a while you will get a transmitter that will have the same code as another and if two matched receivers are near each other they will both respond to the code.

Hope that helps "unlock" some electronic mystery

Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 AM

340 posts, read 948,841 times
I've never been locked out of the house, but I have out of my car. Good hiding place for your extra car key...Duct tape it behind your license plate.
Just a thought!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:35 AM

256 posts, read 575,258 times
Ah, the locking access door to the house via the garage...being a safety-minded soul, I added a lock to the inner door in my garage. After getting locked out twice (the first time we called a locksmith who proceeded to give us his song and dance about how the locking doorknob we bought at the hardware supply store was a 'cheap Asian-made knockoff' and we should have bought locks from him -- but it took him about 45 minutes to pick the lock and frankly we were starting to think he wasn't going to be able to do it!! lol), we drilled out the lock and then replaced the knob with one sans lock. No more lockouts -- for the first few months after removing the lock, though, I'd get a flashback every time that door slammed shut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary