Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

50 posts, read 260,107 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
we'll be moving to the area in June, wondering what experiences folks have had with CSA's in the area (good or bad experiences welcome). We're pretty spoiled here in Western Mass. with lots of local produce and a good variety of CSA's, but I gather that the CH area is also pretty big on local/sustainable farming, so we have high hopes. Hopefully it's not too late to get in on the good ones...

thanks for any info!

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
If you are in the area, I'd suggest you go on the Carolina Farm Stewardship Farm Tour coming up on April 24 and 25. At least look through the farms on the tour as a lot of them run CSAs. A lot also sell direct to consumer or sell at the Carrboro Farmer's Market. Carolina Farm Stewardship Association

Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM

305 posts, read 768,170 times
Actually, it's very late in the season to sign up for a CSA. Local food is a hugely popular movement here and CH/Carrboro/Durham have excellent farm-to-table restaurants (like 4 star, nationally known, written up in the foodie mags excellent). Most CSAs do signups starting in January. Check out www.localharvest.org for CSAs in the area. There might be a few still taking names.

If not, just enjoy going to the farmer's mkts!! There are so many in the area that I've lost track. My fave and old standby is the Carrboro Farmer's Market, but there are several others in the Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Durham, Chatham county areas.

We're going the farmer's mkt route this year after several happy years of CSAs. I really don't have a bad thing to say about the CSAs we were part of, but we're remodeling our kitchen and just didn't feel like we could commit to the weekly box w/ the kitchen torn up. We'll be sure to hit the farmer's mkts for some salad fixin's and tomato sandwich makings and fruit! Gotta have the berries and the melons!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 PM

50 posts, read 260,107 times
Thanks for the info... unfortunately we won't be there til June so we won't be able to do the farm tour. And it sounds like we may have to go the farmers mkt route since we're a little late signing up for the CSAs, but from what we've heard about the farmers markets there, it could be worse!
H

Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 AM

37 posts, read 91,070 times
Check out Carolina Grown...we love it!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but most of the CSAs also sell at one of the area farmers markets. So it may be best for you to check out the various farmers at the markets, pick the one or two that you like the most, and then join their CSA next year.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,942 times
You might want to check out this site: Waller Family Farm

The Waller Family Farm is located just north of Chapel Hill and they will sell you the produce that they picked that day (can't get any fresher unless you go out there and pick it yourself).

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Waller's is great, its a self serve with honor system payment, although they can get picked over pretty quick.

A potential option when you get here is spence's farm...they are trying out a CSA this year.

http://www.spencesfarm.com/2010pdf/C...ure%202010.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary