Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM

115 posts, read 276,205 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed lately the sudden increase in these visits? I live in North Raleigh and have been in a townhouse complex for over 2.5 years. Suddenly we're getting Jehovah visits in the neighborhood. What is the best way to guarantee they will leave you alone? I like my privacy as much as anyone and do not like to be bothered by strangers, especially those trying to sell me on their religion.

Since I live in a townhouse, I'm not sure my HOA will allow me to put up a "No Trespassing" sign, although I've just written them about it. I've read they are "supposed" to obey that, and if they don't, then I am allowed to call the police since they are breaking the law. I've only found their pamphlets and haven't been at home. Will saying don't come back work? Or do they ignore that?

any suggestions, please.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,147 times
A dog? A big dog? A pack of big dogs?

I have no idea. They've increased here, too. I guess because of the nice weather. I just don't answer the door, which has been easy since ours like to come super early in the morning when I'm not even dressed yet :-/.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM

49,970 posts, read 63,277,013 times
How about you just don't answer your door? Or, open the door, let them get started and then just tell them you have a church and you aren't interested?
I sort of feel sorry for them, since they're required to do this in order to join their church. They probably would like to be somewhere else besides at your door, too.

4,975 posts, read 11,657,319 times
In the past, I've told them I'm not interested and that stopped their visits. While we were still living in the Raleigh area, I actually started getting phone calls instead of visits. I asked them to put me on a do not call list, and that seemed to work too. I was always friendly about it, but did get my point across. Or you could always stick this on your door: http://evolvefish.com/fish/nothump.html

Good luck!

10,728 posts, read 22,719,836 times
I'm in North Raleigh and have never been approached by them (ever, actually--except once when I was visiting someone out of town). I would put up the sign anyway and let your HOA mention it later if they have a problem with it--and at that time, ask them what THEY think you should do about it.

Frankly, we rarely answer the door if we aren't expecting someone, so it's not much of a problem. that might actually be why I've never had a run-in with one.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,998,044 times
They definitely visit our house regularly....we are in wake forest. They knock probably every other month or more! I don't answer the door, and they usually ring the bell twice and knock twice. My husband answered the door last week, he said he was not interested (which I have done) and they still returned!

it seems to happen with regularity around here.

Leigh

Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,042,534 times
My father had a very effective way to keep them away when I was growing up. He was a born-again Baptist (the only one in the family), and he'd invite them in and talk their ears off in an attempt to save them and make them convert to his religion.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,494,863 times
Had a member of the Cary police department come speak at a HOA meeting once and a resident asked about the "no soliciting" signs that are usually posted at the entrance of townhome entrances. He (the police officer) kindly responded "those signs are merely suggestions and can not be enforced"

He suggested that if the continue to bother you ask to see their permit (all door to door solicitors are required to register with the city for permits). If they do not have a permit call the NC department of commerce and report them. Here is the link to save you some google time (Business License Details | North Carolina Department of Commerce).

Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 PM

932 posts, read 3,088,910 times
They visit us every other month too. Dogs don't keep them away. I crack the door and tell them "No strangers!" I need to hang a polite sign on the mailbox or something. I love the sticker, but I live on an incline and they'd still have to walk up the driveway to see it. Uninvited strangers really bother me.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,933,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
He suggested that if the continue to bother you ask to see their permit (all door to door solicitors are required to register with the city for permits). If they do not have a permit call the NC department of commerce and report them. Here is the link to save you some google time (Business License Details | North Carolina Department of Commerce).

Hope this helps.
First of all, JW's are not ordered to go door to door in order to join the church, its something they choose to do after they have "joined".

As for asking to see their permit.... lol, they are not selling anything or asking for donations, so they do not need a permit to go door to door.

I would suggest to politely tell them you are not interested and to be placed on their DO NOT CALL/KNOCK list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.