Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM

305 posts, read 767,402 times

Advertisements

OP, Raleigh used to be a pretty sleepy Southern state capitol which in the past 30 years or so has experienced a moderate to substantial boom (coinciding with the development of the Research Triangle Park and with the boom of the South in general—air conditioning, anyone?). In the past 15 years or so Raleigh the population expansion has ramped up with a lot of transplants from other regions, especially the Northeast and to some extent California.

Raleigh has some decent museums and some interesting nightlife for a city its size. It's not NYC or LA or Chicago or Atlanta any number of larger cities. Certainly, it's not London or Paris. If you want that, look elsewhere.

Raleigh started from a Mayberry beginning, but has some fun stuff going on. It's a great place to raise a family. It's not a great place to break into showbiz or make the scene. It can be done (Clay Aiken, anyone?), but it's not that kinda place.

Raleigh has some great restaurants although I'm better versed in the other points of the triangle. The foodie scene is very happening in Durham and Chapel Hill. Don't listen to anyone who posts here who says we don't have good food. The triangle has multiple four star restaurants, James Beard award winners, write ups in mags like Bon Apetit, features on NPR etc. It's pretty good for a city of it's size again. Check out the chowhound forums for what the local foodies think.

I think you really would need to come to visit. Raleigh has a lot to offer, but it's not NYC or San Francisco.

EAT: lovebrentwood, I went to the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh yesterday with the kids and was really less-than-wowed by it compared to the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. I think NCMLS is the best science museum in the state (tops Discovery Place in Charlotte, too), but we had fun at Natural Sciences anyway. I won't be making the trek back over there anytime soon, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM

406 posts, read 787,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
As has been expressed elsewhere, this is really a big town not really a city.

you might be disappointed with what there is here, however "promising" it is advertised. Pizza is not great here either.

There are other things to think about coming here, but essentially, its a provincial city, so bear that in kind.
Best come for a few days or a week to get a feel for the place.
Right on track.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,082,377 times
What does "EAT" mean? I missed that one somewhere along the way. I like the Museum of Life and Science in Durham a lot, too, but it has a few lame parts. Overall, it's great. The Raleigh museum is a nice little city museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post

EAT: lovebrentwood, I went to the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh yesterday with the kids and was really less-than-wowed by it compared to the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. I think NCMLS is the best science museum in the state (tops Discovery Place in Charlotte, too), but we had fun at Natural Sciences anyway. I won't be making the trek back over there anytime soon, though.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 PM

305 posts, read 767,402 times
Ooops. Typo! Meant ETA (Edited To Add). My fingers got mixed up with them thar keys.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,125,693 times
I welcome all who want to come and be part of Raleigh's burgeoning urban scene. But, if your intention is to come here and live in the far flung suburbs and expect others to build the urban scene for you so that you can visit it 3 times a year while you complain about your perception that Raleigh lacks the urban scene you expect, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Again, I am getting really tired (and annoyed) by all the folks who want an urban scene but won't participate in it to make it happen. For those of you who are making it happen, I applaud you. I've been at it now for 15 years and it's really getting some legs! In fact, it's almost midnight....it's time for me to walk out the door and participate in DT life. Bye! :-)

Old 04-04-2010, 06:57 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,082,377 times
What do you consider "participating" in it and "making it happen"? Do you mean just supporting the downtown businesses?

If suburbanites want to visit just three times a year, isn't that better than not visiting at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I welcome all who want to come and be part of Raleigh's burgeoning urban scene. But, if your intention is to come here and live in the far flung suburbs and expect others to build the urban scene for you so that you can visit it 3 times a year while you complain about your perception that Raleigh lacks the urban scene you expect, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Again, I am getting really tired (and annoyed) by all the folks who want an urban scene but won't participate in it to make it happen. For those of you who are making it happen, I applaud you. I've been at it now for 15 years and it's really getting some legs! In fact, it's almost midnight....it's time for me to walk out the door and participate in DT life. Bye! :-)

Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,261,417 times
I get what rnc2mbfl is saying. The best way to encourage downtown to continue to grow and improve its offerings is to support the businesses already there. Suburbanites visitng downtown 3 times a year really isn't going to help sustain a bustling downtown IMO. And sadly many people don't even come downtown that much. I get that the urban environment is not for everuyone, but there seem to be lots of people complaining about lack of downtown options while at the same time not taking advantage of and supporting the great things that are already there.

I'm a big fan of supporting the oldies but goodies too. I'm looking forward to a nice hearty breakfast at the Mecca this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What do you consider "participating" in it and "making it happen"? Do you mean just supporting the downtown businesses?

If suburbanites want to visit just three times a year, isn't that better than not visiting at all?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,125,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Here's my point. I am increasingly annoyed by folks who almost never (or actually never) go downtown and then complain about how downtown is not what they wantt it to be. I am further frustrated by people who haven't been to the DT scene in years yet they speak as if they are authorities on what it is and what it's not.
"Visiting" rarely or ocassionally is certainly fine and welcomed. But, spare me the criticism if it's not important enough to you (not you personally...just in general) to do more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary