Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM

312 posts, read 867,899 times

Advertisements

The reason I ask is that I have noticed North Raleigh especially has many older townhouses with beautiful mature trees and landscaping. These older TH communities seem to have larger bedrooms and living areas etc and when updated are beautiful...

Their HOA fees are higher than newer communities- is that due to the age of the buildings (more $$ in upkeep for the properties and amenities?) or is it something else? (perhaps the location??)

What about the sound factor? Can anyone tell me if an older townhouse would have better or worse soundproofing with regard to common walls, hearing the neighbors etc?

If anyone can help me sort out the pros and cons of older vs newer, I would be very grateful!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
I don't think you can necessarily make a generalization about newer vs. older. It all depends on quality of construction. There are good and bad builders in all generations.

HOA fees tend to relect the amenities (or lack thereof) offered in a community.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Older townhouses seem to have a more traditional floorplan, as do older homes. If you prefer a more open floorplan, the newer townhomes will be more for you. The HOA dues are going to be more if the amenities are better although some of the older townhouses will have high HOA dues because of the age (especially if it is time to start putting on new roofs).

Vicki

Old 04-19-2010, 05:51 PM

238 posts, read 669,226 times
Default Townhome recommendations

Hi everyone - I know this is the place for info so here it goes....We are looking to check out some newer townhomes. Kind of what we are looking for include:
> Within 20 min commute of RTP
> New construction (or less than a few years old)
> 3 BR
> 1800 sq ft minimum
> Active social community
> Amenities (pool/gym) are a huge plus

Our budget is anywhere from 200-240K.

So far we've checked out Glenwood North and Church St. in Morrisville. Like the quality of both but each had their pluses and minuses.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Hi everyone - I know this is the place for info so here it goes....We are looking to check out some newer townhomes. Kind of what we are looking for include:
> Within 20 min commute of RTP
> New construction (or less than a few years old)
> 3 BR
> 1800 sq ft minimum
> Active social community
> Amenities (pool/gym) are a huge plus

Our budget is anywhere from 200-240K.

So far we've checked out Glenwood North and Church St. in Morrisville. Like the quality of both but each had their pluses and minuses.
Check out Weston Place off Cary Parkway. New construction.
Price is right, location great, and there is a neighborhood pool, and the Silverton Swim and Rec club is open to the public for a fee.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Also check out Stonewater and Amberly, both in West Cary, miuntes from RTP. Both have community pools. The clubhouse/pool at Amberly is amazing. The townhouse community within Amberly is called Washington Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary