Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM

12 posts, read 55,604 times

Advertisements

I'm an entreprenuer, have run and/or successfully started/sold 4 businesses, new to this area, and thinking of what to do next. I'm curious about opinions from locals on what kind of new businesses or services they'd like to see, what is there a lack of in this area (Cary/Apex/Morrisville), etc? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
i'd like a marijuana dispensary. youre going to need lobbyists to change the law, and some good business people, but i'd appreciate it. first in NC... it's an untapped market.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Google "Christmas Tree Shops" - a unique store that started in Cape Cod, MA. There are now several stores in several different states. Open up something like this and I'll be there freqently! Several other stores have tried to emulate this idea but all pale in comparison. It is definitely not a Big Lots.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I don't really find the area lacking any particular type of business or retail. However you are likely to get a bunch of requests to see certain franchise options from people who moved here from other areas. Like "I miss Jamba Juice Smoothies" or "I miss Wegman's grocery". Well we have smoothie places and grocery stores ... just not those exact ones.

Are you looking for ideas for a mom and pop type business / service or general franchise type businesses? I'm guessing the former....

I would ignore requests for "good pizza" or a place with "good bagels", these places already exist here, you just need to know where to look. FWIW, if you come up with a small bakery that makes true hard rolls that satisfy northern transplants tastes (and put it in the right location) you could make a killing.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 04-04-2010 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Google "Christmas Tree Shops" - a unique store that started in Cape Cod, MA. There are now several stores in several different states. Open up something like this and I'll be there freqently! Several other stores have tried to emulate this idea but all pale in comparison. It is definitely not a Big Lots.
For yrs we had a Christmas shop in town. I think it was at Crabtree Mall. I love the smell of those places. There is one at Myrtle Beach. I imagine they were independent stores, not connected to the one you mentioned.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Mmm, good question. A week ago I would have said some kind of eatery in Cary that's open late. But then we found one, Gipsy Shiny Diner, and went around 10 PM. My husband and I were the only ones there, so it seems the demand is not there.

What WE would like would be late night eating in Cary, somewhere to grab a desert later night in Cary (I don't like the coffee shop deserts). A Jamba Juice in Cary. But this is just me, personally.

I'm guessing there could be more demand for those 5 star childcare centers in RTP, based on how long some people I know wait to get their kids into them.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
From what people tell me that either live there or moved away. There doesn't seem to be all that many gyms in the entire Metro compared to most cities, especially the big chain ones. That YMCA's seem to dominate the fitness industry in Raleigh as well as all of NC. The gyms that are there seem to come and go. I don't live there so I don't know, its just what people have told me.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
We have plenty of gyms in Raleigh...we had too many at one time. I think why that's they closed down. There are 3 within 1 mile of me. I have heard ppl complain if one isn't a block away or we don't have the exact one they went to in another state.

The YMCA's we have in Raleigh are only a few compared to indy gyms. But our YMCA's here are mostly new, state of the art.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf191 View Post
I'm an entreprenuer, have run and/or successfully started/sold 4 businesses, new to this area, and thinking of what to do next. I'm curious about opinions from locals on what kind of new businesses or services they'd like to see, what is there a lack of in this area (Cary/Apex/Morrisville), etc? Thank you.
I notice that you mention Cary, Apex and Morrisville. Are you considering Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill also? Do you mind sharing what your previous businesses were? Were you running those one after another, or at the same time?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I want a restaurant that serves only pie and coffee. And also provides gluten-free pies.

I want Goodberry's ice cream on the pie.

I want it to look like the "Pie Hole" on Pushing Daisies (a cancelled TV show).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary