Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have a friend who will be attending NCSU in the fall and she is debating where to live right now. She is very interested in the University Towers, but wants the opinion from people who actually go to the school rather than just the website. I don't know much about the place except that it is a private dorm.

Does anyone here live there, know someone who lives there, or go to NC State and has an opinion about the place?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM

144 posts, read 556,256 times
I personally would advise your friend to stay in a regular dorm. I lived in UT for two years and did not really enjoy it. The biggest perk was having only 4 people to the bathroom as opposed to an entire hallway for 10 people in a suite. in UT you seem to be more isolated from the rest of campus especially since you eat in their dining hall on the 9th floor. That is one of the biggest things that if I could do over I would.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 AM

232 posts, read 553,218 times
My daughter stayed there for a week of summer camp last summer. She said the food was horrible. She called it a good weight-loss plan. Maybe it's better during the school year. The dining hall on campus had decent food though.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,636 times
I didn't live there but had several friends who did, most of them seemed to like it. I have no idea idea about how costs compare now but at when I was an undergrad the costs seem to be almost twice as much as an on campus dorm.

The rooms are larger compared to many of the on campus dorms since you don't have to bunk them and still have an ok amount of space and as mentioned by kbb34 the bathroom is jack and jill style. They do have a parking deck so if she brought her car at least it would be at a convenient location. In an on campus dorm parking may not be as convenient - freshman have to park in a storage lot.

And about the food... A few weeks ago three friends of mine (2 seniors, 1 grad) were talking about the food at UT since they used to live there and I got the impression certain items were pretty good. It's been a while since I ate at Fountain dining hall but when I did it was some of the worst food I've ever had. But since it's packed and they also do take out I guess it must be ok or students just suck it up due to lack of options. Everyone always jokes how Case is better since the athletes eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary