Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM

379 posts, read 959,366 times

Advertisements

Brooks I agree with you 100% and so do those that commented on the myNC.com story you provided a link to. Their experience is exactly what I encountered, as well.

It amazes me to think that the DOT is not held responsible for making improvements to the DETOUR routes to ensure these routes are able to accomodate the additional volume of traffic. Just the fact that a left turn arrow is not at the intersection of 55 & CFS Rd and there is NO signal at 55 & O'Kelly is beyond me. Not to mention a seperate RIGHT turn lane at 55 & CFS Rd has been needed for some time now.

Like previous posters have stated I too pray it will not take a fatality to make someone at the DOT approve these changes for the above mentioned intersections. We already saw that with the fatality on Green Level to Durham last year.

Good grief, and there will be 10 more months of this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 AM

57 posts, read 145,939 times
Can someone please provide the names and emails addresses of Town of Cary officials or NC DOT officials that we can contact on this subject? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,831 times
This email address goes to all town council members and Mayor Weinbrecht (if you send him one directly he will get it twice which can be annoying) : town.council@townofcary.org .

Others you may want to include are Tim.Bailey@townofcary.org, Laura.Cove@townofcary.org, Kristen.Dwiggins@townofcary.org, Ricky.Barker@townofcary.org . They are transportation director, ass't director, transportation engineering supervisor, & town planner.

If TOC is going to continue to annex and approve more development (growth) as they have been they need to be AHEAD of the plan and provide the infrastructure to accomodate their new and future taxpayers. If they are not in control of the roads and lights then they need to lean on DOT to provide immediate relief.

I know they are working with DOT now to provide relief and look at alternative options as a friend received this reply today from Ms. Dwiggins in response to the proximity of the Fire Station and emergency issues on CFSR:

"The Town was working to install emergency pre-emption devices at the intersection of NC 55 and Carpenter Fire Station Road yesterday. These devices will turn the light green for emergency vehicles so that they can get where they need to go without waiting in the traffic signal queue. The signal plans for installing the pre-emption were previously approved by NCDOT. Any other intersection improvements would need to go through the NCDOT approval process since these are state-maintained roadways. In the meanwhile, the Town's Traffic Management Center has been closely monitoring the traffic since the road closure to adjust the signal timing as needed.

Closing the eastern leg of Carpenter Fire Station Road and NC 55 to shift traffic to Morrisville Carpenter is one of many possible solutions as we continue to work with NCDOT."

NCTPA could be more proactive in coordinating traffic mitigation with NCDOT. DOT manages the main roads, TPA the new turnpike so seems they all need to be on the same page with the timing of these projects.

NCTPA contacts for the I-540 project are: steve.dewitt@ncturnpike.org and jason.peterson@ncturnpike.org .

Hopefully, this will all be resolved shortly and traffic will be sailing smoothly!

Last edited by brooks2007; 04-14-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: add email addy

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
Coming home tonight on 55 I noticed what appears to be wiring for a traffic light at O'Kelly Chapel and 55. Glad to see NCDOT/town of Cary is taking action, but this should have been installed a month ago.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
Coming home tonight on 55 I noticed what appears to be wiring for a traffic light at O'Kelly Chapel and 55. Glad to see NCDOT/town of Cary is taking action, but this should have been installed a month ago.
Woohoo! I saw the same thing as I was precariously waiting in left lane of 55 turning onto O'Kelly Chapel as cars whizzed by at 50+ miles an hours. I'm glad someone else noticed...I'm not going crazy!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
I left the house (in Highcroft, just off HWY 55 at Green Hope School Road) yesterday at about 6:00 p.m., headed to the new WalMart on a quick errand. What, exactly, was I thinking? I made note of the line -- and I mean LINE! -- of cars headed towards Apex, but thought surely by the time I was done, it would have subsided some.

My quick errand didn't get me home until about 7:30, the bulk of it, spent in traffic, trying to get back down HWY 55 to Green Hope School Road. I got off I540 at the Apex exit, by the grace of God, and a kind person in a Jeep Compass.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I left the house (in Highcroft, just off HWY 55 at Green Hope School Road) yesterday at about 6:00 p.m., headed to the new WalMart on a quick errand. What, exactly, was I thinking? I made note of the line -- and I mean LINE! -- of cars headed towards Apex, but thought surely by the time I was done, it would have subsided some.

My quick errand didn't get me home until about 7:30, the bulk of it, spent in traffic, trying to get back down HWY 55 to Green Hope School Road. I got off I540 at the Apex exit, by the grace of God, and a kind person in a Jeep Compass.
Maybe at times like when the roads are backed up, you consider alternate routes? For eg, if 55 towards Apex was backed up, taking 540 towards Durham exit, making a left on O'Kelly ( yes someone would have to be kind to let you in), taking a left on Green Level Church and then a left where GLC ends ( cant remember the name)...probably would have taken you home sooner

We live on GLCR and it gets frustrating with the road closings and all. The good thing is - when it is done, it should get easier for everyone.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Yippee!

Looks like the DOT installed TRAFFIC LIGHTS at the intersection of O'Kelly & 55.

They are covered in plastic for now, however it will soon be much safer to navigate this intersection!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Woohoo! I hope this thread and the emails we all sent had a part in setting things in motion!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Angry Effected by the closure of McCrimmon Pkwy? You'll Lo-o-o-o-ve this!

Traffic Alert- Green Level Church Road

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 6, 2010
Traffic Alert

As part of the North Carolina Department of Transportation’s 2010 Wake County Resurfacing project, Barnhill Contracting will begin asphalt patching, milling and resurfacing work on Green Level Church Road from O’Kelly Chapel Road to Carpenter Fire Station Road starting May 7.

Crews will be onsite Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and on weekends from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. until the anticipated completion date, July 2010.

No detours will be posted and minor delays are expected during work hours on weekdays. For a complete list of 2010 NCDOT resurfacing projects scheduled within the Town of Cary, please visit Resurfacing Projects at www.townofcary.org or call the NCDOT resident engineer at (919) 733-9499

For real-time traffic updates, follow the Town of Cary on Twitter @TOC_Traffic.

Last edited by Carmela C; 05-06-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary