Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times

Advertisements

I had a tree roach trip me last night when I walked in the house. He stole my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM

160 posts, read 354,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I had a tree roach trip me last night when I walked in the house. He stole my wallet.

LOL

Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I'm so surprised you don't have this stuff. While I have a Raleigh address I am basically at Knightdale and at the Neuse River. Anytime you are near a water source, you will have many of these creatures. While I can handle being around many as they leave you alone, it's the water bugs/flying roaches that creep me out. That's what I was saying were all over my porch and deck at night, makes my skin crawl talking about it.

My fav are the lizards, love watching those little guys change color!
Also, have not seen any carolina anoles here in clayton - seen a couple of the blue tail lizards, but haven't seen any anoles - none here in clayton and none in Raleigh where I work - very familiar with these critters from FL, but I haven't seen a one in Raleigh area.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
Maybe the copperheads eat them. Have lots of them in Holly Springs. Don't forget, Knightdale isn't all that far from Lizard Lick...you just never know what you'll see up there.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Also, have not seen any carolina anoles here in clayton - seen a couple of the blue tail lizards, but haven't seen any anoles - none here in clayton and none in Raleigh where I work - very familiar with these critters from FL, but I haven't seen a one in Raleigh area.
I know nothing of lizards. What is the one in my pic? I've also seen bright green ones that change color, neighbors say they are geckos??

Ps - never mind, I get it. I looked a pic of an Carolina Anole, I never knew that's what it was!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-27-2010 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: added ps

Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I know nothing of lizards. What is the one in my pic? I've also seen bright green ones that change color, neighbors say they are geckos??
Your photo is of a caolina anole - change from green to brown. These critters are common in FL, and supposedly a lot in carolina, but I haven't seen one yet in two months, none in clayton and none in No. Raleigh so far, and actually, I have been been keeping an eye out for them.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Your photo is of a caolina anole - change from green to brown. These critters are common in FL, and supposedly a lot in carolina, but I haven't seen one yet in two months, none in clayton and none in No. Raleigh so far, and actually, I have been been keeping an eye out for them.
Thanks, silly me, I misunderstood. I never saw these until I moved into a community with ponds. i lived a couple of miles away for years and never saw one. You might see some near the Neuse which I think runs thru or at the side of Clayton. The Neuse is close to my house. Did you notice he was skulking around the mulberry bush? He hides there and then in my camelias.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 PM

165 posts, read 434,265 times
can someone send me a photo of what that huge flying tree roach looks like? I have not seen one of those yet. Please tell me that they accidentally happen to find themselves in your house and DO NOT like to multiply indoors....please....

Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

We used to have an anole in an aquarium. One day, we caught a rat snake and put it in there...it was one of those 55 gallon jobs, so we didn't think anything about it. Well, of course the anole got missing, and we were like . Lo and behold, one day a few weeks later, the anole appeared again and from that day forward was known as "Lucky". We released the snake and eventually the anole, and we all learned a valuable lesson.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
can someone send me a photo of what that huge flying tree roach looks like? I have not seen one of those yet. Please tell me that they accidentally happen to find themselves in your house and DO NOT like to multiply indoors....please....
Google "palmetto bug", find the largest example, and that's what they're talking about. Some of the photos are just little ole' roaches...the big ones can be as long as your thumb. I see them on the deck occasionally, when I turn the light on at night...once in a while one comes in the house, but usually they stay outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary