Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,536 times

Advertisements

Need to convert some pounds to dollars, looking for a place with no conversion fees. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Craigslist? Maybe someone who is getting ready to travel could make the exchange with you. Benefits both parties.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
No fees means lower exchange rates. You'll pay either way.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Don't think that exists. I have looked and couldn't find it. In fact last time I tried thevtellers at the bank had no clue how to even deposit it in my account.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I know of no way to do this. Your best bet is to sell it to someone who is going over soon. How many pounds or Euros do you have and which general area of Raleigh do you live or work- don't need address, but to know if it's worth coming over for it. I have a friend who's going back the UK in 3 mts I could tell him about it.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Are you talking about pounds you have in a bank account, or do you physically have them with you?

If they are in a bank account, there are many free* services that can do this for you. I use http://www.xetrade.com but others can tell you about other services. I used them last week to send some dollars home: they do EFT (in the US) and BACS transfer (in the UK) for free.

If you have cash, and it's a couple of hundred or less, maybe we can make a deal: I'm going to the UK next month, and will need some pounds. I'd be happy to swap them with you for the prevailing exchange rate (this would benefit both of us, see below).

*free: all currency conversion services make a profit somewhere. The two ways they do this are by charging a percentage commission, or by using a 'spread'. A spread is where they give different rates converting between currencies in different directions: go pounds->dollars->pounds and you'll end up with less money than you started with. They pocket the difference.

Hope this helps.

chwboy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary