Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I am going to single-handedly convert this state to beef brisket BBQ with tomato based sweet sauce.
ha ha! good luck with that! I'm a VA native and grew up eating Eastern NC style BBQ. I married a guy from Missouri and the first time I took him to have BBQ "my" style he kept saying "where's the sauce?" B/c he was looking for that nasty goopy ketchupy junk. Blah.

Those of us weaned on NC bbq know that there is nothing, and I mean nothing, better than a nice pork bbq sandwich. With cole slaw on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
So NC still has blue laws like TX. I don't mind but it sure is funny when you have to explain the yellow tape across the beer/wine aisle at Target to someone not used to it.
Most Blue Laws have gone by the wayside, but the "no alcohol on Sunday morning" one remains. And if you ever vacation in Myrtle Beach (or elsewhere in South Carolina), unless they have changed it recently, they stop selling alcohol promptly at midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Many locally-owned stores are still closed on Sunday and most retail doesn't open until later on Sundays. But as far as "in general", Blue Laws aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
Do y'all wave nicely at the person who lets you move over or move out of a parking lot into stop-and-go traffic? My mama taught me to do that but sadly it's getting rare to see--which incidentally makes me NOT want to let people in
Most will wave or nod, but not always. Out-of-state license plates are less likely. Also, those yakking on cell phones of course can't be bothered to acknowledge anyone else on the road, so I am far less likely to let them out in the first place--but that's another issue.

Quote:
[Snow Cream]:
-Take some snow that your dog hasn't peed in
-Put snow in bowl mix with milk and sugar
-Enjoy
You left out the vanilla!
Quote:
Yeah but (and I know this says something about me) - I was sitting there thinking, what if this dead guy was a jerk?!
Well, someone once pointed out that many of the people killed in the WTC on Sept 11 were probably "jerks" (Wall Street financial traders are not known for their warm and fuzzy personalities, after all) but it doesn't detract from the tragedy, or the respect one shows to a death. And, I guess you could figure that if they were a jerk, there wouldn't be so many people coming to the funeral!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, someone once pointed out that many of the people killed in the WTC on Sept 11 were probably "jerks" (Wall Street financial traders are not known for their warm and fuzzy personalities, after all) but it doesn't detract from the tragedy, or the respect one shows to a death. And, I guess you could figure that if they were a jerk, there wouldn't be so many people coming to the funeral!
I can't, and won't, compare pulling to the side for a total stranger's funeral procession that is traveling down the opposite side of the street to 9/11 in any way, ever. Sorry.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 42,991 times
Default repy

Remembering our ancestors on May 10th every year. Decoration Day. Confederate Memorial Day is still officially observed in the Ole North State.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I can't, and won't, compare pulling to the side for a total stranger's funeral procession that is traveling down the opposite side of the street to 9/11 in any way, ever. Sorry.
Some NY info for everyone... most of the well-to-do people do not get to work until 9:30 or so. That is when the market opens, and they don't do the trading, anyway- their employees do. They stay later at work. So, on 9/11, lots of young people passed away.

But hey, who is to judge. No one deserved to die that way.

Back on topic... Here in WF you will see traffic stopped for a police officer or firefighter's funeral. If there is a regular fuenral, traffic tends to slow. THe main funeral home is on a 2 lane street and the cemeteries are close. Most of the processions are mid-day. Everything does slow down for a minute or so, which is just fine by me. I always say a prayer as the processions pass.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
'Round here we don't "run to the supermarket".... we "stop by the (insert store's proper name ex: Piggly Wiggly, although they're 'pert near extinct)". We 'tend to use proper names for just about anything... Kleenex for tissues, Clorox for bleach... etc.
Something along these same lines I've picked up is people around here seem to use proper names for some tools too. For example, instead of Reciprocating saw, people call it a Sawzall. Or instead of a circular saw, it's a Skilsaw. That really threw me for a loop. Somebody asked me one time "Have you ever used a Sawzall before" or "Do you have a skilsaw?" and not even knowing what they were talking about I said "Uh, no."

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Living up North, in Yankeeland, and down here, I always, always wave nicely at the person who lets me into a lane of traffic. And back when there was more family around, we always, always, always, had Sunday dinner in the middle of the afternoon.

Amazing how alike we all are, isn't it?

Quote:
Do y'all wave nicely at the person who lets you move over or move out of a parking lot into stop-and-go traffic? My mama taught me to do that but sadly it's getting rare to see--which incidentally makes me NOT want to let people in

Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM

189 posts, read 374,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom2004 View Post
So I'm some sort of a weird hybrid. I have lived in the south my whole life but my Mother is Canadian and my Father's a New Yorker so I feel like I have an outsider's inside perspective on the South and may be of some assistance as you acclimate to your new surroundings. I know it's long sorry about that but it just might help.
Oh... my... word.... I just spit banana bread crumbs all over my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Back on topic... Here in WF you will see traffic stopped for a police officer or firefighter's funeral.
As the daughter of a police officer who was shot in the line of duty (survived, thank God), I'm very, very grateful for that kind of respect being shown.

(That, plus the door opening and waving at those who let you in make me want to move there immediately. More than anything, I want to live somewhere with courtesy.)

Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread&collards View Post
Remembering our ancestors on May 10th every year. Decoration Day. Confederate Memorial Day is still officially observed in the Ole North State.
Really? After 36 years in Raleigh, I don't ever remember this being the case. Does this "official" recognition translate into some broader public observance or is this something that is done on the down-low? I am curious and just don't recall ever hearing about it.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

15 posts, read 42,991 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Really? After 36 years in Raleigh, I don't ever remember this being the case. Does this "official" recognition translate into some broader public observance or is this something that is done on the down-low? I am curious and just don't recall ever hearing about it.
Yes, NC is one of 7 states that still recognize Confederate's Day. Our is May 10th. Google it and you can find out all the info that you need. Wiki as well. The other states are Miss, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, SC and Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary