Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, I posted this to be silly. I have no hidden agenda!!! Too many people are too serious.

Plus...with all the messages and emails that I am getting from some of you asking ME to post the positive things about the RE market and Wake County, in general, I figured I'd toss this one out there! Honestly, I don't give a hoot about the lists!

Firstly...how funny is it that people that moved here many years ago don't want others to move here? I have heard this since the '80s: now that I'm here...I wish others wouldnt' move here. This is called the "close the gate behind me" syndrome!

Secondly...we have had growth in Raleigh since I moved here in the '70s! So, those of you that moved here in the '90s, who think it all started with them, it didn't! It ain't all about YOU!

Thirdly...taking into account all my buyers from the last few years...most of them moved here to be closer to family or had a job transfer. Although these "lists" give them some confirmation that the area is a good one, it isn't the number one factor in them moving here. So, although the Chamber of Commerce likes it when we make these lists...I'm not sure that it is the number 1 or even the number 2 factor that makes people want to move here.

I grew up in a small town that isn't growing. I see what lack of growth does to an area so I'm all for the growth. There ARE times that I look back and remember how Cary was so small that we had to drive to Raleigh for EVERYTHING! There are times that I look back and wish Raleigh were the way it was in the '80s. But all in all, I'm happy where I live.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Vicki, since I posted that I've seen this since the 90's and most of you know I am from Britain, are you directing your comments to me about close the door behind me??? I actually moved here in '74 and so have seen the growth for decades.

What I meant by keep us off the list and let us catch up is pretty self-explanatory however I'll elaborate some more. Our roads are over-crowded, I-40 and 540 are horrible to commute on at rush hrs. It doesn't matter if it's worse where someone came from, what matters is the reality we deal with every day. The state DOT doesn't have the budget to repair and widen the roads as needed.

Our educational system is suffering the most serious and severe shortfalls EVER. And yes, other parts of the country are going thru this, but are they getting 100 new residents/day moving there? This is our reality.

Many areas including Raleigh have water issues. This will worsen with further growth. Our infrastructure needs to catch up. But with continued budget shortfalls, this won't happen for sometime.

So it's not a case of shut the door, it's a matter of what needs to happen for our areas services and infrastructure to catch up with the sprawl and growth.

And as for you feeling that lists don't influence people in moving here....you can't really believe that or not care about it considering the field you are in?? Many folks move here for just this reason! In my work life I have heard this from many, many people since we first started appearing on the lists. And yes, later their relatives follow them! Why do you think companies move here? (This is rhetorical).

Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it always amuses me how they use "projected" growth as a metric.
Yes. It's funny. Typically, Raleigh's growth has far surpassed projections.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Secondly...we have had growth in Raleigh since I moved here in the '70s! So, those of you that moved here in the '90s, who think it all started with them, it didn't! It ain't all about YOU!

I grew up in a small town that isn't growing. I see what lack of growth does to an area so I'm all for the growth.
There is good growth, and there is out-of-control growth. What the area experienced from the 1960s to about 1995 (?) was good, healthy, judicious growth fueled by a very healthy job market in an industry that was hot (tech). But in the past 10 years, many factors have changed and those jobs are no longer so hot here, yet the growth level has ramped up even faster, and the infrastructure is starting to show the signs of too much growth, too fast (school systems being high on that list).

How many times do we see posts from folks saying essentially "Wheeee, we're coming to NC!!! We don't have jobs, we've never been there, we don't know anything at all about the state [it's near Virginia, right?] but the moving van arrives tomorrow--NC HERE WE COME, WHEEEE!" expecting that every problem they've ever had in their lives will be forever solved if they can just move to the Tar Heel state, because a magazine or an old neighbor told them so!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There is good growth, and there is out-of-control growth. What the area experienced from the 1960s to about 1995 (?) was good, healthy, judicious growth fueled by a very healthy job market in an industry that was hot (tech). But in the past 10 years, many factors have changed and those jobs are no longer so hot here, yet the growth level has ramped up even faster, and the infrastructure is starting to show the signs of too much growth, too fast (school systems being high on that list).

How many times do we see posts from folks saying essentially "Wheeee, we're coming to NC!!! We don't have jobs, we've never been there, we don't know anything at all about the state [it's near Virginia, right?] but the moving van arrives tomorrow--NC HERE WE COME, WHEEEE!" expecting that every problem they've ever had in their lives will be forever solved if they can just move to the Tar Heel state, because a magazine or an old neighbor told them so!

Exactly!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default From the ridiculous to the sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
^This may sound laughable to some but if you’ve spent any appreciable time on this board you know it’s eerily true.

What amazes me is how intelligent people can know that the meltdown in the US housing market has affected the entire globe (literally destroying Iceland’s economy), yet they still believe that Raleigh, NC will go completely unscathed.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
The more people that move here the better as I would like to sell my house in the future and that should theoretically pump the value up.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Default Good for business, bad for employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The more people that move here the better as I would like to sell my house in the future and that should theoretically pump the value up.
I respect you because at least you’re honest about your motives.

The Forbes article mentions what amounts to stagnant income growth for employees which is very insightful as to the level of competition for good jobs in the area.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I respect you because at least you’re honest about your motives.

The Forbes article mentions what amounts to stagnant income growth for employees which is very insightful as to the level of competition for good jobs in the area.
Thanks

FWIW though it would be nice if the cities clamped down on the growth, just in my area we're seeing roads going from 2 lane country roads to 4 lane semi-highways. 5 mins from my house are strawberry fields, in a year or two they will be shopping malls. It's kinda sad.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Default For every action there’s an equal and opposite reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
FWIW though it would be nice if the cities clamped down on the growth, just in my area we're seeing roads going from 2 lane country roads to 4 lane semi-highways. 5 mins from my house are strawberry fields, in a year or two they will be shopping malls. It's kinda sad.
Theoretically economic forces will eventually intervene and slow the rate of growth. Consider that when people who read the Forbes article relocate here, but aren’t able to find jobs taxes will have to increase to pay their unemployment benefits thus eliminating one of the perceived attractions of moving here in the first place.

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 05-01-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary