Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,942 times

Advertisements

I also agree with the designated driver. If you offer to pay for the DD's cover (if there is one) and coke/bottled water all night long, they shouldn't have a problem with it. Plus that's probably cheaper than a cab or motel room.

BTW, when I lived in Cali, all the bars by where I lived (Sacramento) gave free sodas to the DDs (so long as you ID'd yourself as the DD when ordering it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
True or False: The Designated Driver drinks less than everyone else at the bar?

Obviously False, but I remember that question in my drivers ed class...
Obviously false?

If I drink 5 beers, and my DD drinks none, he obviously drank less than me. The problem is that there might be other DDs in the bar, and thus he hasn't drank less than them (he's drank the same).

I'd say there is not enough information to determine an answer, but if he's the only DD then it's obviously true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
The answer is supposed to be, The Designated Driver does not drink any alcohol.... my bad

Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM

74 posts, read 313,450 times
I live in Apex, so I deal with the same thing, unless I go to Sparks or Rudy's. It's $50 to get back from Downtown to my door, and that sucks... but it doesn't suck as bad as $2500 in fines and crap.

I would say the "Cheapest" way to handle the night, if you're single of course, and with questionable morals, is to pick up a lady ( or guy) friend to stay the night with. The more you drink, the more options will open up for you...

Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 PM

21 posts, read 44,769 times
Priceline a Hotel room in Chapel Hill. Do it the night before your stay and shoot for 60-70% off the normal room rate.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 AM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Jesus ... that designated driver service would cost $100 from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, no? $10 fee + $3/mile

To answer your question: move away from the Triangle. Seriously. This place is just not set up for late-night alcoholic enjoyment of its other towns.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 12,231 times
I vote for the motel/hotel option. The problem with a cab is that you'll have to go back the next day to get your car in Chapel Hill. Also, not sure where you were planning to park while you were hitting the bars in CH, but most parking around there is paid - either a per-hour lot or a meter (which you won't be around to feed the next morning). If you drive from work to the hotel/motel and take a bus or a cab to/from the bar, you can have a safe free parking space for your car (every hotel I've been to has free parking) and in the morning, you can sleep in and then drive home.

I'm not familiar with the designated driver service, so can't comment.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:08 AM

37 posts, read 60,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymonkey View Post
Does anyone know an affordable way to get from Chapel Hill to Raleigh after midnight on a Saturday night? I'd like to be able to go out and have a few drinks in Chapel Hill before heading home to Raleigh, but cabs are pretty expensive, and buses don't seem to run that late. Any ideas I may be missing?
The people on this forum seem to be missing the point. Y'all have veered off topic and now are discussing designated drivers. Happymonkey is asking how to get home because there are no buses that will get you home from Chapel Hill at night.

I am in the same boat as you. My husband and I love to go to Chapel Hill to see bands. We don't have a car and have to rely on public transportation. We always end up staying at The Carolina Inn which is more expensive than just taking a cab. And unfortunately, those are your only options. This is why we need light rail!!! This area needs it desperately. So because of our lousy options for transportation, we just stay in Raleigh most of the time.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM

149 posts, read 431,620 times
Although not it's primary use, you could couchsurf for a free place to stay. CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,119 times
Get a good friend that owns a wrecker business! I can call him anytime and he will get me and my vehicle home safely! I don't know what the actual cost would be as he usually owes me favors, but I wonder what a tow would cost? At least this way you would not have to worry about getting your car home the next day!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
just stay in chapel hill and wait for the light rail to be built...
;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary