Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 28,121 times

Advertisements

Our family recently moved to Cary area and has been anxiously looking for a single family house in the past few months. We are focusing on the west Cary area since my husband works in Raleigh. We have two small kids (0 & 3) and our dream house is a 3000+ square footage, 0.3+ acre, single family house, in a nice location with very family-friendly community.

So far, we've searched lots of newer communities in Cary but couldn't find a fit:

Estates at Weldon Ridge -- Signed a contract and yet had to retract as the Builder bankrupted in March,
Greystone Estates -- didn't like their small lots and layout
Weycroft -- no community pool
Harmony Reserve -- Pulte has poor reputation as some people pointed out on this board
Cameron Pond-- 55 issue
Highcroft -- small lot
Woodland @ Green level crossing -- no sidewalks, no good lots available anymore.
Southbridge -- most of the new and resale houses are close to 700K, besides the lots are small and non-flat.
After all these unsussessful search, we realized that, besides newer communities, we might have to look into some older ones. such as houses that were built within 10 years.

Our priority is still to have a large and quite/private/flat lot, so that we can put in gardens and swings/playground for kids. And good public school, family-friendly community and facilties are also the must.

Any info of potential suitable neighbours would be a big help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,144,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Our family recently moved to Cary area and has been anxiously looking for a single family house in the past few months. We are focusing on the west Cary area since my husband works in Raleigh. We have two small kids (0 & 3) and our dream house is a 3000+ square footage, 0.3+ acre, single family house, in a nice location with very family-friendly community.

So far, we've searched lots of newer communities in Cary but couldn't find a fit:

Estates at Weldon Ridge -- Signed a contract and yet had to retract as the Builder bankrupted in March,
Greystone Estates -- didn't like their small lots and layout
Weycroft -- no community pool
Harmony Reserve -- Pulte has poor reputation as some people pointed out on this board
Cameron Pond-- 55 issue
Highcroft -- small lot
Woodland @ Green level crossing -- no sidewalks, no good lots available anymore.
Southbridge -- most of the new and resale houses are close to 700K, besides the lots are small and non-flat.
After all these unsussessful search, we realized that, besides newer communities, we might have to look into some older ones. such as houses that were built within 10 years.

Our priority is still to have a large and quite/private/flat lot, so that we can put in gardens and swings/playground for kids. And good public school, family-friendly community and facilties are also the must.

Any info of potential suitable neighbours would be a big help.
I like Weycroft and even though it doesn't have its own pool, you can use Cameron Pond's pool. I also like Cameron Pond, back end, away from the power lines/highway. Although if I were to buy at Cameron Pond, I'd look into the lawsuit a bit more to see what is going on with it.

Preston is beautiful w/pool and goft course. Of course, those cost extra.

I wonder why you haven't looked into North Raleigh. Bedford would be good. What about Wake Forest? Heritage?

And since you like n'hoods with pool, I'd suggest Brier Creek...again N. Raleigh and then there is MY FAVORITE: Ethan's Glen.

Vicki

Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 28,121 times
Hi, Vicki:
Thanks a lot for the info. We haven't indeed looked into the areas you mentioned in North Raleigh. A big reason that we chose West Cary to start is their good schools. Are the area you mentioned in north Raleigh having the same good public schools as those in West Cary?

Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,144,569 times
I'd suggest you look at Leesville Road schools and although Wakefield schools are somewhat between N. Raleigh and Wake Forest, you may want to check it out, as well.

3 of my kids graduated from Sanderson and my youngest is still there. The scores aren't the highest but some of the same teachers have been there from the time my oldest went until now. I think that says a lot when teachers stay.

Having said all that, with the new school board and some of their new ideas...if we do go to n'hood schools, you'd be fine in North Raleigh, Wake Forest or Cary.

Vicki

Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,002,054 times
You will find larger lots in places like north raleigh and wake forest (depending on the neighborhood). In wake forest, neighborhoods like: glenmoor and galloway are in your price range, have homes on close to an acre, flat lots, and the houses are 3000 plus square feet. Both neighborhoods have pools.

Schools (I can only speak for the elementary - it is where my children attend) is fantastic! We love it.

I would definitely expand your search, if possible, in that you can find what you are looking for outside of cary.

Leigh

Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM

189 posts, read 505,959 times
If you work in Raleigh, why are you limiting your search to West Cary.
That area is near RTP.

There are many beautiful neighborhoods in South East Cary (0-10 yrs)
that would be more convenient to for commuting to Raleigh.
You will also find bigger lots in South cary than West Cary.
Lot of folks commute to RTP as well as Raleigh Downtown from here.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,023,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
If you work in Raleigh, why are you limiting your search to West Cary.
That area is near RTP.
That's what I thought when I read the OP. If I wanted to be in Cary but nearer Raleigh, I'd look on the southeast or north side of Cary. North Harrison Ave. near I-40 makes for a particularly easy commute to Raleigh via the Wade Ave. extension. The general Lochmere area on the southeast side of Cary is also more convenient to DT Raleigh via Tryon & I-40. West Cary is not going to be as convenient for a commute to Raleigh as it is for RTP.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM

33 posts, read 247,874 times
Look at Hilliard Forest. The lot sizes are good for west cary. You could build with Ryan Homes or Loyd Builders still has a couple of lots to build on. The schools are excellent and the neighborhood is very family friendly. The pool will be built when 100 homes have been built. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,521,182 times
Someone mentioned this a while ago and it made sense to me. If you move from new houses to houses 1-10 years old, you could be doing yourself a disservice. The point was that houses 10-20 years old are more than likely to have updates that are superior to builder grade, larger lots, and better landscaping. Although I am sure for every one like this there are 4 that don't fit. You just have to weed through those through kitchen pictures since that is usually the first to get updated.

Just my .02

disclaimer: I could be wrong

Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM

66 posts, read 128,770 times
Try Oakcroft in N Raleigh, tons of kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary