Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's $10.30/month for trash removal and recycling pickup. I didn't even think you could cancel it...I guess so...

I bet if you add up the time and mileage costs of dragging your trash to the waste removal place and the time it takes you to clean your car of the nasty smells you're at or close to $10/month already.

You're supposed to recycle anyway regardless of cost, although my wife is from Canada and they started recycling in the 1800's (kidding) so it's kinda ingrained in their lifestyle.

I mean seriously $10/month. There are so many areas of your lifestyle where you could save hundreds a month I bet. This isn't directed at your but I have to laugh at the people who will wash out their ziplock bags to save $0.10 but then take their car to a mechanic who charges $70/hr to change their spark plugs.
I'm sure that the OP could find many other places to cut expenses.

However, Saluki mentioned how they are recycling and composting. When you handle your own garbage, you have a realization of what an impact it is. When you just roll it down to the curb, it's a lot easier to dismiss. I'm sure that Saluki Lover's garbage has decreased since they began their own disposal - this is significant for both the environment and their own personal costs. Way to go, Saluki Lover!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 AM

216 posts, read 668,175 times
Cut down on cellular plans. Buying less food, eating less. Taking public transportation and driving less.

Keeping iights off in rooms that are not occupied.

Only buying clothes that are on sale and trying to only buy groceries that are on sale. Using more coupons.

Making nearly all meals at home. Taking lunch to work instead of buying lunch.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
I'm sure that the OP could find many other places to cut expenses.

However, Saluki mentioned how they are recycling and composting. When you handle your own garbage, you have a realization of what an impact it is. When you just roll it down to the curb, it's a lot easier to dismiss. I'm sure that Saluki Lover's garbage has decreased since they began their own disposal - this is significant for both the environment and their own personal costs. Way to go, Saluki Lover!

AGREED! Since we started focus on recycling, our trash has dropped in half, some weeks more than that. Not only are we recycling a bunch but we buy most of our store bought groceries from the warehouse clubs where we save money and often reduce packaging. For items available in bulk that we cannot consume entirely in our household, I ask co-workers and/or neighbors if anyone wants to go in 50/50 with me. Most people love a deal and will gladly split the cost for something they will eat.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
We were paying $70 every 2 months so a worthwhile savings for us.
The dump is on my regular route so there's no extra travel and no, my car does not get smelly; we compost as much as we can so it's a pretty easy drop off and took me 10 minutes max today.

These are some really great ways to save - thanks so much for taking the time to share with us all.
Saluki, are you a coupon user? You can easily save that amount w/ coupons. I usually save 20-35 weekly for the family of four. Wednesday is Triple Coupon Day at Harris Teeter btw. Triple Coupon is a good thing.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times
My cost savings which have netted me well over $700 per month include:

Change bulbs to CFL and CCFL - about $25/mo in electricity savings
Make our own bread at home
Porch/garage lights on timers
Tighten up window and door seals
Keep heat and A/C to where comfy, but not overbearing
Work at home - no commuting costs for either my wife or I
Increase deductibles on insurance (saves hundreds per year)
Refi mortgage last year to 4.375% rate
Sell used items on Craigslist
Use coupons in mailers and online
Comparison shop for items onilne and locally
Negotiate with local merchants for goods and services
Automate bill pay online (save stamps)

Soon/Future:
Install solar photovoltaic panels
Upgrade attic insulation and seal all holes in upstairs ceiling drywall
Variable speed pool pump rather than fixed speed
Solar pool heating (FREE heat!)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,841 times
dang,,you guys are way ahead of me.....

Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,841 times
anyone been to Aldi's...great savings...

Aldi Supermarket: Excellent Value - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Driving my 2003 Mazda MPV until the wheels fall off, and then never buying another new car again!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
Cut down on cellular plans. Buying less food, eating less. Taking public transportation and driving less.
I am not sure the situation here, but in DC metro it was almost the same price to commute on public transit or drive into work (including parking).

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM

211 posts, read 613,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's $10.30/month for trash removal and recycling pickup.
Out where I live it is almost $40 a month. I did the same thing the OP did and go to the Hwy98 dump once every other week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary