Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times

Advertisements

After talking about it for some time we have finally discontinued our weekly trash pick up. I got tired of looking at a 1/2 empty garbage can week after and week and thought we could at least save a little bit that always adds up to a lot of savings over time.

We are now recycling and even composting.

We live close to the recylce and waste disposal on Highway 98 and figure I'll just have to make a trip once a week.

Just curious what you're all doing to cut expenses? It's actually really rewarding to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
i traded in my 2008 lexus for a nissan altima. but that was so we had more money to spend on expensive dinners and drinking. i'm not kidding, actually...

Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,431 times
I did not know canceling trash pick up was an option...something new to learn every day...

Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
It's $10.30/month for trash removal and recycling pickup. I didn't even think you could cancel it...I guess so...

I bet if you add up the time and mileage costs of dragging your trash to the waste removal place and the time it takes you to clean your car of the nasty smells you're at or close to $10/month already.

You're supposed to recycle anyway regardless of cost, although my wife is from Canada and they started recycling in the 1800's (kidding) so it's kinda ingrained in their lifestyle.

I mean seriously $10/month. There are so many areas of your lifestyle where you could save hundreds a month I bet. This isn't directed at your but I have to laugh at the people who will wash out their ziplock bags to save $0.10 but then take their car to a mechanic who charges $70/hr to change their spark plugs.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
I did not know canceling trash pick up was an option...something new to learn every day...
It's not an option in most municipal areas. The OP must live in some unincorporated area of the county.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 PM

54 posts, read 412,941 times
Talking my cuts

My budget cuts include:
Hair Salon visits: Cut and color my own
Gym membership: Goodwill has barbells and I jog for cardio
No TV: (sold it) bye bye Comcast bill
No internet: Wifi hitchhiker
No movies: Hulu
Trips to starbucks: duh
Cut newspaper subscription: all on the web
Clothing: no not running around naked but TJMax instead of Talbots
Groceries: new diet and lost the 20lbs that I needed to lose
Books: no more Borders on to the public library
Gas: ride bike, bus, or walk
Heating: bought an electric blanket this winter and didn't need to heat the entire house.
Garbage: part of the rental
Sold the house in 06
Biggest change: I gave up on being a huge consumer and caring what other people think! You know what.... I am the happiest I have been in my life.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
I moved much closer to work.
Haven't used A/C but once this year

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I called up my Internet provider and another Internet-related service provider this month, and they reduced my monthly rates by $5 and $10. I hadn't checked their recent rates. They don't tell you when they go DOWN. I also own some domain names and asked that those rates be reduced.

Everybody should check their landline phone plans on a regular basis, too. They are notorious for charging you more than they need to.

We don't have cable. I search for cable shows I've heard about and Google their names and "full episodes." We can connect the laptop to the big TV and watch them on the TV if we want.

Shop thrift stores; shop online and never order anything without first searching for an online coupon. 98 percent of the time, there's a coupon.

Use a Tracfone for a cell phone; used only for emergencies. When I didn't have a cell phone, I once used my laptop as a phone at JFK airport, using a headset and Skype and their $2.95/month program that I used for a month.

We do recycle every single thing possible. We'll even donate unusable clothes to Goodwill, and they pile it with unsold clothes and sell it to be recycled.

If they sell something at the dollar store that I need, I buy it at the dollar store. I saved $2 yesterday by going to the dollar store to buy some craft materials for the kids' craft project instead of buying them all at Michael's.

My husband makes his own wheat bread every week in the bread machine; I'm sure that saves money.

He also makes food for the dogs. Our dogs eat half dry food and half chicken, rice, and vegetables bought at Sam's Club or Costco. Sometimes they eat better than I do.

Instead of dog biscuits, I'll microwave a big potato, let it cool for an hour or two, and then it slices very easily, and those are the dog's "biscuits." They love them.

I've been reducing my calorie intake recently, so when we do go out to eat, I always get half of it in a "to go" box immediately, and that's the next day's lunch for me.

The one thing I've learned is to always ask if there's a way you can lower the bill (many types of bills). Don't take the first answer, just keep asking. It's amazing the power that customer service people have to make you happy.

P.S. I also found it's smart to always ask the doctor for samples of prescription drugs -- ask every single time and try to get as much of it as possible. Also, always, always, always check the manufacturer web sites for coupons. You can save $25 to $50 a month, and that's after the insurance has kicked in. I also was able to quit expensive acid reflux drugs by chewing sugar-free gum and also drinking chamomile tea and ginger tea. It solves the problem. That tip was from the People's Pharmacy newspaper column. (And if you drink the ginger tea with a little milk and sugar or sugar substitute, it tastes like a liquid ginger cookie. )

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-25-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohelo View Post
Biggest change: I gave up on being a huge consumer and caring what other people think! You know what.... I am the happiest I have been in my life.
^reps to you...

We cancelled trash years ago, not for the cost, but because they took all of our recyclables and dumped them in the "Trash". (Yes, in a rural area the trash is a private service, and costs more.)

Cancelled dish subscription a few years ago, just to see if we could stand it, and/or if my daughter (probably 7 or 8 at the time) would really miss it. We never missed a beat, and realized that it takes a lot less time now to discover that there is nothing on TV, also discovered a lot of digital channels that I did not know about. )Universal Sports rocks, if you are a cyclist!)

Because we live way out, we just try to consolidate driving trips, and get what we need while we are out.

Don't go out to eat much (never have) food is cheaper, better and more healthy if cooked at home.

About the cable/dish: I travel for work, and am always so disappointed when I stay in a hotel with cable, and STILL can't find anything to watch!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:00 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
We were paying $70 every 2 months so a worthwhile savings for us.
The dump is on my regular route so there's no extra travel and no, my car does not get smelly; we compost as much as we can so it's a pretty easy drop off and took me 10 minutes max today.

These are some really great ways to save - thanks so much for taking the time to share with us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary