Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,328 times

Advertisements

I've been checking out the general area, mostly the samller towns north and west like Wake forest and such.
I'm self employed but would like to be within distance (30 minutes or less) of larger metropolitan areas with job opportunities, specially for my wife.
I like the general area because of the vegetation and outdoor life.
I really liked what I saw so far after researching the Wake forest area, Chapel Hill looks nice too, but I'm sure I'm missing a dozen little places in between that are better or as good as them. Any advice for someone considering relocating tehre from South America? Any idea of the mothyl budget needed for a family of four in that general location? Any advice would be much appreciated!

FerFAL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM

6,802 posts, read 9,001,953 times
When you say "checking out", do you mean coming here to visit, or doing research online? I'm not sure what the monthly budget would be. Maybe other posters with that size family can comment. What does your wife do? Unemployment is really high. Depending on what field she is in, it could be tough to find work. Chapel Hill would be a good place for someone with kids. It won't feel like a city. A lot of people on this board seem to like living in Wake Forest. It seems pretty far from downtown Raleigh or anything else for that matter. Maybe that's the point.

What is your reason for relocating from Buenos Aires? It would be a really big change for your family. Are you a citizen of Argentina, or are you just living there? There are plenty of Spanish speakers here if you are looking for that.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When you say "checking out", do you mean coming here to visit, or doing research online? I'm not sure what the monthly budget would be. Maybe other posters with that size family can comment. What does your wife do? Unemployment is really high. Depending on what field she is in, it could be tough to find work. Chapel Hill would be a good place for someone with kids. It won't feel like a city. A lot of people on this board seem to like living in Wake Forest. It seems pretty far from downtown Raleigh or anything else for that matter. Maybe that's the point.

What is your reason for relocating from Buenos Aires? It would be a really big change for your family. Are you a citizen of Argentina, or are you just living there? There are plenty of Spanish speakers here if you are looking for that.
I'm going to Texas next week. If some apointments I have get canceled I might go to NC to see for myself. My wife is a lawyer and I'm an Architect ( or will be by the end of the year) writer and blogger, self employed and wouldnt really need any other income to get by all right. Eventually my wife would like to work with kids, school or daycare maybe.
Reason for leaving? Argentina is a 3rd world country, a very dangeorus one to live in after the 2001 economic collapse and just getting worse. We look more and more like Venezuela and, as bad as USA may be these days, its much better than living here. I'm Argentine and EU citizen.
Not exaclty looking for Spanish speakers, nor am I looking for Little Mexico, or Little Argentina. I believe that people that like that are better off staying in the original country. I expect people to speak English, otherwise I'd move to Mexico or some other Spanish speaking country.
Having said that, I am looking for a place where we wouldn't be discriminated simply for being from South America.

FerFAL

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-11-2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Edited out response to off-topic comment

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,844,741 times
There are a lot of small towns in this area to choose from. Some are cheaper to live in, buy in that others. If you are buying a home they range from low $100k's to millions - it all depends on what you want. Local real estate co are Keller Reality, Coldwell Banker, Howard Perry Walston, Fonville Morisey, they each have numerous websites.

Rent - I am not certain what you get for what amount, I'm sure you can find something on the web. I'd say you are looking at $800 to $1,500month for an apartment or smaller home.

If your wife will work in childcare the pay is not good. We do have a law school in this area if she needs to take classes to prepare for the NC Bar exam. It's Campbell Law School and is located downtown.

I agree with you, when moving to a new country, absorb the culture and integrate. This is great area. The natives are very accepting of newcomers who comprise the majority of residents. We have people here from all over the world and lots from New Jersey, NY state and the NE.

Misc - it gets very humid in summer along with the heat. The beach is 2 hrs away, mtns 4hrs. Lots of oak trees here - it's called the City of Oaks. School system is Wake County www.wcpss.net You must have a car here, public transport is minimal and slow. Gas is $2.77 gal today. You'll pay car insurance and an annual property tax on your car based on its value - www.wakegov.com

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary