Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM

64 posts, read 170,329 times

Advertisements

IMO, there is very little difference between all of the Calabash style seafood places. They are all okay.

42nd st is really nice, but for my money, I'd vote Shuckers in WF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 AM

746 posts, read 2,244,325 times
this thread is depressing. Boy I miss New England. Best seafood in the triangle is homemade. Buy it early at Whole foods and cook it yourself. (sorry to be a wet dishrag. I'm happy to provide recipes!)

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM

305 posts, read 766,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
this thread is depressing. Boy I miss New England. Best seafood in the triangle is homemade. Buy it early at Whole foods and cook it yourself. (sorry to be a wet dishrag. I'm happy to provide recipes!)

See, this is the kind of attitude we do not like down here and makes us want to say "if you don't like it here, then go back home".

North Carolina has excellent seafood. We've got a great coastline and a great fishing and shrimping history.

If the thread was asking, "where's the best New England seafood" that would be a whole different kettle of fish but we've got some damn good seafood in this state. I didn't respond about Raleigh places 'cause that's not my stomping ground, but, really!!

I would never go to New England and complain that they didn't make seafood the way we make it in NC. It's different and there are excellent restaurants in both regions.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,070,497 times
Quote:
I'll take some recipes!!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
See, this is the kind of attitude we do not like down here and makes us want to say "if you don't like it here, then go back home".

North Carolina has excellent seafood. We've got a great coastline and a great fishing and shrimping history.

If the thread was asking, "where's the best New England seafood" that would be a whole different kettle of fish but we've got some damn good seafood in this state. I didn't respond about Raleigh places 'cause that's not my stomping ground, but, really!!

I would never go to New England and complain that they didn't make seafood the way we make it in NC. It's different and there are excellent restaurants in both regions.
I"m a foodie. I'm allowed to say this. just as you are allowed to disagree with the sentiment. I've been searching for a seafood market - in RALEIGH - since arriving here 7 years ago. Other than whole foods, haven't found one.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 AM

167 posts, read 566,105 times
Quote:
I"m a foodie. I'm allowed to say this. just as you are allowed to disagree with the sentiment. I've been searching for a seafood market - in RALEIGH - since arriving here 7 years ago. Other than whole foods, haven't found one.
Have you tried Earp's?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I'll take some recipes!!
since today is cinco de mayo, how about ceviche ? juice of 2-3 limes, onion (or scallion), tomato, mango or pineapple, cilantro, salt & pepper

Chop fish into uniform sized pieces - about 1/4" cubes. Place in bowl (or zipper bag), top with chopped tomato, onion or scallion (including green part), mango/pineapple, and chopped fresh cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make sure that the lime juice covers the fish. Refrigerate for about an hour. When the fish's color has changed appropriately, it's done! Shrimp is a good one to start with - will build your confidence, as you'll be able to see it "cooking" and will be able to tell that it's done when it turns white.

The lime juice cooks the fish.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithiekat View Post
Have you tried Earp's?
for fresh or cooked fish ? Oh how I'd love to find a place that doesn't kill fish! (Oh and I second AN in Cary - awesome awesome awesome ambience, food, winelist, and more!)

Old 05-05-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post

It's like saying "finding good bread" ... or pizza. I'm entitled to prefer it one way or the other. I bet if I said that I can't find decent paella here but love it in Valencia you would agree that is the best place to find it. Ask a foodie a food question you will get an honest opinion. It really depends on what the OP is looking for - pricey, fresh, fried, sushi - there is nothing wrong with enjoying regional foods in a particular region! I really don't care for the restaurant scene in the triangle in general but eat 4 star at home. We're fortunate to both have the skills and desire to cook well at home.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Quote:
If you get tired of doing all the cooking, Legal Seafood will ship your New England seafood directly to you!!! The last time we were in Boston, we ate there every other day!

Otherwise...my favorite used to be 42nd Street but I really like Shuckers now! If you sign up online, you can get a coupon for a free appetizer. We had 4 families with us and we each had a coupon and they allowed all 4 families to use their coupons. Some restaurants say "one coupon per table". The lobster dip was the best!

As for fried seafood...Cap't Stanleys, Kemps, etc. all taste pretty good and about the same!

If you want really good lump crabcakes...order them from QVC. They are absolutely the best!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary